Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68075 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Buc, you and more than a few others here understand "Leadership". Here is a photo of some guys who also know/knew what "Leadership" is. The guy third from the right, with the glasses on, was my Drill Instructor, Gunnery Sergeant (retired as First Sergeant) Rick Bowling, USMC. Unfortunately he passed away at a very young age, way too early. Fourth guy from the right is Staff Sergeant Sosa, USMC. The white guy in the middle of the photo on our left is Gunnery Sergeant "Hurricane" Holtry, USMC.

All of those guys were/are BADA55es!

All three of those guys PT'd me one day . . . for answering the phone incorrectly. Then, for scuffing up the Marine Corps emblem on the floor in their office while I was doing mountain climbers.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #68076 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
LA is a looong trip to make. Should have the bye week after that one but we will probably be playing a conference game after that looong trip.

Seems they could have worked something out with one of the ACC teams or Big 12. would love to see a home and home with say Pitt, WVa, TCU or even Texas. Much more attractive then going way way west...stooopid once again IMHO

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, growl

More
8 years 10 months ago #68077 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Buc. Understand your concern about the left coast.....10 years....long time in sports...

Scrooge may be working the drive thru at Mickey D's by then......we had a series with OSU

and their coach wanted no part of the SEC. as you correctly noted

Enjoy the weekend. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68078 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
There sometimes is no logic in the decisions being made in Athens. UGA and UCLA.

This is what I would like for Greg McGarity to do on this particular issue . . . . (I believe it is an issue).

You have made this statement McGarity . . . . "I read my emails".

If you read your emails . . . . do you want those of us out here in "space" to think that you do not read blogs? Limited to emails to you personally, right? Makes me wonder just how many of those emails are answered. Just asking. Know that you are a very busy Athletic Director, making decisions that are not for those in "space" to be a part of. Just send money, right?

At some point in time there has to be some semblance of a "Team" that understands what is needed to move Georgia Athletics forward. I mention Athletics because that is the Athletic Directors job.

If Georgia continues to remain a middle of the conference team . . . . in the East, it will be interesting to see just how long you remain in Athens carrying the present title.

Why should those of us on this board and others not question what you have accomplished since 2010? Since you don't read boards such as this one, I say you are or should be a short timer. Even those above you don't want to hear too much "noise" from those that arrive in Athens on Saturdays. Especially if "they/we" feel short changed.

Last SEC Championship, 2005. Going into your fifth year McGarity, is this another long term arrangement? Much like the one that our head coach has lived under.

Members notice that this is close to being the last board that has and is openly questioned the lack of leadership in Athens? When this board stops asking the "hard questions", questions that are never asked in Butts-Mehre, the GAME is over.

Have been asked why I am so negative? I answer that question with this . . . . Was not always like that. Is it time to roll over and play dead, that is the game that those in charge have been able to count on for more than 15 years. Don't buy into that, then simply admit that what has gone on in the Classic City since the 1980's is your cup of tea.

SEC football games are not won through the hype that the media "shovels" to those that buy it. They make their livings making believers out of you and me. Say again, most of them have never put on pads in their lives.

Being ugly . . . . If that is what you gather from many of my posts, takes me to this . . . . You got another 15 years? I am close to 75 and another 15 years to me is a "lifetime".

Leave this post at this . . . . Like much of what I see going on with the Red and Black. Think about this . . . . I see coaches that have short term contracts, then what? That is why I bring up the subject of 15 years. Some of the members on this board are much younger than myself . . . . remember this . . . . one day you too will wake up and it will be 15 years down the road and then what will you have to say. I want results, and at some point those that buy the "stuff" that the pay for view folks want, would be interesting to see what you would have to say then.

:)

Edit . . . . yd1, I was long again and had not read your #15 post. Again we are on the same wave length. Going to Broward County for a few days, could prove to be interesting. Incredible amount of football talent wanting to play in the SEC. Have to say this again . . . . McElwain is making huge strides since he replaced Muschamp. Beginning to bother me because I know some of the talent that is listening to him. We should not forget that McElwain also had time under Nick Saban.

Happy Father's Day to you and every member on this board, and those that "snoop here". Keep snooping, soon this site will be a fan favorite. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68079 by Buc
Mentioned in post #16 above that McElwain is moving forward, fast. I also mentioned that McElwain had time under Nick Saban. What does that mean to me? It means that McElwain among a host of others who served time under Saban understands "structure". To me, "Leadership and Structure" both wear the same uniform.

Any board members remember the run of the gators under urban meyer kicking our butts? I do. Beginning to see some of the same thing "growing".

To those of you that get excited and every year believe this is "our year", nothing for me to say other than . . . . remember urban meyer's stay in Gainesville, Florida? How did that work out when looking at the "overall" time in grade? Thinking about the past 14 years. Year 15, urban meyer and Ohio State are ranked at the top by the media.

Can almost hear something like this . . . . Look at the players that urban meyer put the uniforms on. Anyone want to look at "our" record of dismissals?

Has been said often, we are not a "correction facility". Not using that term flippantly. I say this to those that say that . . . . you are right, however that message has not fallen upon the "Tops" ears. Often we come up short on the 85 number that those who criticize Nick Saban for. These head coaches have one thing that they must do, win football games. If they win under the rules, bark all we want, but rules are rules. How many of you wanted urban meyer and Ohio State to defeat Nick Saban and Alabama?

End with this . . . . More copy is written, discussed and causes more clicks in the media because these two head coaches play within the rules and . . . . win football games. If anyone else has a better formula, then I ask this question. Why not use it? It is about winning, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago #68080 by Buc
I know that many of the folks that post here have read the site below. Was posted earlier, going to do it again, that is what I do when looking for something to either understand or whatever. Hard for me to pass over what I believe to be "important" and not see any response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pulled from Patrick's site.

Why would Bulldog coaches "want to keep" Park around and go as far as trying to "talk him into staying" when it's apparent he would have been Georgia's fourth-string quarterback who, aside from a serious rash of injuries, would likely never play significantly for the Bulldogs, especially with Jacob Eason's forthcoming arrival in 2016?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

patrickgarbin.blogspot.com/2015/06/when-...d-and-certainly.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess what I am after is this . . . . Just how much "bitching" have I done about Faton Bauta and what the "Carney" has done to a very good quarterback? If you don't read all posts on this board, then you are at this point . . . . not in the "arena" to use a phrase by a head coach that does not have a clue. I said that.

Here is where I am . . . . We have talent on the field. We have 90,000 + butts in the seats on Saturdays. What prevents Georgia Football Fans from moving further ahead in 14 years? Tell me that it is a lack of talent. Tell me that it is a lack of a Indoor Practice Facility. Tell me that our losses over 14 years were because of . . . . . insert your excuse if you have one.

Folks, members, we do not have a "Bell Cow" . . . . missing for how many years?

I suggest this . . . . You and I.

Remain close to a board that does have "some" members that do not agree with the "outside". :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds