Forum

Teaching Old Dawg New Tricks ??

8 years 10 months ago #68027 by Buc
Teaching Old Dawg New Tricks ?? was created by Buc
Giving a little more thought to Lambert transferring to Georgia from Virginia.

Here we have a young man that lost his job at Virginia, slipped to #2.

What was the smart thing to do? Transfer to Georgia, a team that has a head coach that played and coached the position.

Continue to hear about “experience” on the field. Means a lot if the experience on the field has been productive.

Lambert's experience seems to show a lot of interceptions. Ramsey who seems to be the media choice for starting quarterback at Georgia thus far seems to have some of the same experiences.

Throw this out for what it is worth.

ULM Warhawks, first opponent in 2015, between the Hedges. Believe we will see both Ramsey and Bauta get some playing time. However I do remember the offensive coordinator saying, along with the head coach that we would have a “named starter”. Maybe they said they hoped to have a “named starter”. Either way, hard for me to believe that both coaches don't have that issue settled now. Referred to as “coach speak” on occasion.

Either Ramsey and Bauta are “average” at playing the position, and if that is the case, why are we in this situation.

Been mentioned a few times over a period of time. It is a lack of focus on the coaches. Every year we seem to have a “huge hole” on our football team. Could be the defense or offense, head coach does not seem to understand the “overall”. Head coach does understand the need for at least four quarterbacks. My opinion we have coaches over a long period of time that were too influenced by the head coach. Maybe grantham would not play that game.

My rating for Mark Richt at this point has fallen into what I call the “Willie Martinez” zone. Never quite sure how to put all of the pieces together.

Recently there seems to be a change in how we recruit. Appears to me that we are building the depth that has been missing under our head coach basically from the beginning, not starting in 2006/7.

Time for the head coach to understand that depth building is needed at more than the quarterback position. Truthfully, believe that our head coach is lost when it comes to understanding what it takes to have a quarterback become special.

Maybe Richt learned something from the hires made on the defensive side of the ball. Brought in Sales and he appears to have the same thought process on building depth that those on the other side of the ball have introduced to the head coach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #68028 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Teaching Old Dawg New Tricks ??
Friend brought the OL wins championships concept to UGA....finally. After Alabama, LSU, and Auburn proved that it does indeed work.

With the OL we have and now some depth there is no reason we should not contend for one of the 4 spots.

QB should be a non issue if the skill players are used correctly. All the tools are there for this to be THE year. Depth on both sides of the ball and new players coming in to add to the WR position. Just don't see any big weakness other than the experience under center, which of course would of been a non issue if the QB last year was the QB this year.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68029 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Teaching Old Dawg New Tricks ??
Have noticed on the UGA Roster that Kublanow is listed as the center. Wynn is listed as offensive guard. Both have worked out at center, appears to me that Sales is going with Kublanow's experience. I can buy into that, and don't think I have left the impression on this board that I am not a Wynn supporter. Wynn working out at center through the Spring along with Kublanow is one of the things I was trying to refer to in this thread. Wynn is also capable of reaching linebackers from the guard position, and will. Nasty. Kublanow, Nasty.

Sales has done something that the head coach has fallen short of from the beginning. Sales knows going into 2015 that if something does happen to either Kublanow or Wynn, there is an understudy ready to fill in. More than fill in, knows the position. This is what I call "coaching". Also has a Senior that can play the position(s) both tackle, guard and center. Seems to me that it did not take Sales long to figure out who would play where when the season starts. Center position is Kublanow's best chance of playing in the NFL. My opinion.

The only foot dragging that I see now . . . . Easy answer. The Old Dawg that needs to learn new tricks.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #68030 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Teaching Old Dawg New Tricks ??
It has been awhile since you could use the word depth when speaking about Georgia football

When thi group of receivers gets this year under their belts we will have experience there also

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68031 by Buc
Bothered me a great deal some years back when watching offensive and defensive lineman changing sides of the ball.

Thoughts on Mike Bobo. He was concerned much like the head coach is about running backs and quarterbacks. For the most part quarterbacks. When I take a hard look at the quarterback position in that time period, not overly impressed with the results.

AM got x amount of wins, much of that was because he was so good at reading defenses. He spent untold hours in the film room, many hours by himself. Then he traveled to other camps to learn more than he would by staying in Athens or going on Spring Break.

Have noticed this about Mike Bobo. Somewhere along the line he figured out the need for an offensive line, so what was his first coaching hire as a head coach . . . . Coach Will Friend. So Friend is given the title of "offensive coordinator". OK. Then Bobo says he will be calling the plays. Just exactly what does that leave Friend to do? Yep, coach the offensive line. See some of the same misgivings that I saw in Athens. Monkey see, monkey do. Richt learned from Bowden, Bobo learned from Richt. Much like the old "chain letters".

One of the reasons that I mention Coach Will Friend, hoping that Rob Sales does not miss a beat. Friend turned a "negative" into a "positive". Get a certain amount of pride when I read other sites that now say we will "miss" Friend, same sites that were pissing, moaning and groaning about Will Friend when he returned to Athens. Just for the record, Will Friend was highly recommended to the head coach. Friend left Athens in a far better situation than the day he arrived. Fact.

See where Nick Saban is loading up on offensive linemen two years out. Whether they remain with Saban is one thing. The thing that I look at is "who and where" on his football team he pays attention to.

Another area an Old Dawg could learn new tricks.

Allow me this on receivers. Receivers are no different than quarterbacks . . . . no offensive line, no completion. No offensive line, quarterback on his backside. Starts with the offensive and defensive lines.

Most running backs run through "offensive holes". Not every running back is a Nick Chubb.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68032 by Buc
Could not pass this up. Comes from the same Bill King (AJC) that was "upset" with urinal violations. He is much better at that than he is about football. In this answer to someone asking and posing a question, thoughts and feelings about the current chatter going on concerning Season 2015, found him back on stride.

Steve Upshaw writes: Re: your comment of Dog fans not grumbling too much for a trip to NOLA for the Sugar Bowl, this is precisely where Richt has led you and the other sheeple. Now you think the Sugar Bowl is fine. We will never win a title, nor anything of real significance, with Richt in charge. This is where he has led us; thinking a trip to NOLA caps a wonderful season. C’mon Bill. Please! Two SEC titles in now his 15th season is awful. Why do we continue to accept this? … Meanwhile, either Alabama, Auburn, LSU on ANYONE ELSE gets another SEC title and shot at a national championship and we get to visit NOLA and not hear “too much grumbling.”

OK, I stand corrected: There definitely will be grumbling from some if the Dawgs wind up playing in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. I’m not sure why you feel the need to denigrate (“sheeple”) those who don’t share your view, but I gather you want me to say that if Georgia, despite breaking in a new quarterback this season, isn’t in the final top four and doesn’t make the College Football Playoff, then the program is a failure and the head coach should be fired. Sorry, but that’s not how I view college athletics. I certainly would love to see the Dawgs make the playoff this year, or any year, but I don’t accept the premise that anything less is a lost season. If Georgia has double-digit wins, I refuse to consider the season a failure, especially if they win the SEC East. Yes, such a result would fall short of my ultimate hopes for my favorite team, but hopes and expectations are two different things in sports.

Steve Upshaw needs to understand that the AJC's livelihood depends on "Sheeple".

Going into the 15th year under the current head coach, Bill King, what has changed other than the FACT that Steve Upshaw represents half of those that believe we will continue to be a 9/10 win football team under the current head coach. Final Four changed a lot of things in college football, one of which "decides" the National Champion. No more of the voting . . . . which was once upon a time the North versus South by those that clearly voted on a "regional basis".

Another writer "kissing up" . . . . again.

Good on you Steve Upshaw. AJC understands that something is not right concerning UGA Football, and the Red and Black are a serious part of their customer base. Half "sheeple", growing number "free thinkers".

Does this comment from Bill King not ring out the same "Spit" that has been fed to the "Sheeples" for 15 years from the Georgia head coach. Has been said for the 13 years that we did not win the SEC. Got your focus set on the SEC East, Upshaw was trying to lead you out of the wilderness. Cute little "journalism" game you tried to play on the word "Sheeples", Billy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds