Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67788 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Find it interesting when reading articles and most begin with . . . . Johnny Football has 19 offers, or 20 offers.

More and more I am beginning to get the “entire picture”. It ain't the number of offers, it is the coaching staff and young men they will line up with that really matters.

Doing some “looking back”, and some of the “looking back” takes me to this . . . .

Not that long ago, if we (UGA) landed a top rated recruit from Georgia, made headlines, the chatter would go on much longer than it seems to this day and time.

See where this is going . . . . right?

First things first. The coaching staff has first responsibility in the “recruiting wars” and that is exactly what recruiting has come to . . . . wars.

Notice that Georgia is spending substantially more green backs since the arrival of the new coaches, both offensive and defensive. For a while most of the talk centered on Pruitt/Rocker and Company, beginning to see a shift to the offensive side. Not saying that the defense is backing up, not so.

What is happening in my opinion is this . . . .

This group of defensive coaches came in, said hello, and hit the road, or the airport. Go back through years of recruiting prior to Bryan McClendon and the amount of green backs do not come close to what is being spent now. Fact. Tells me that there has been a change in the way Georgia Football is doing business. Question is this . . . . Why did it take 14 years for this to happen?

Whether any of us want to accept what has happened, it is plain for even the most loyal of Mark Richt loyalist to look at the 14 going on 15 year history of “our program”.

I am a believer in results. Only way that I made money and paid the bills.

Have to say this . . . . our head coach has been paid handsomely for 14 going on 15 years. By whose standards does this take us to where we want to go?

I have seen more enthusiasm from those of us that support the Red and Black in the past two years than the previous x amount of years, not only from Richt, there has been a long list as ogredawg suggests . . . . “stoopid spit” from coaching choices made, one of which caught up with VD's choice of head coach in 2001.

What happens to the newly gained “footage” because we made a “U Turn” in coaching hires . . . . We will know more as we watch the progress being made in the next two or three years. Sure as hell can't be any worse than the lack of “leadership” provided to this point. That is not on the players, too many have moved on to the NFL, problem existed/exists in the Classic City.

If I was allowed to sit in on one meeting in Athens and ask a question . . . .

When was the last time “anyone” felt comfortable in the past 14 years under Mark Richt? A show of hands will suffice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67790 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Not funding maintenance on facilities or planning for the future. A new coat of paint. Then have another season. Repeat until the building falls down.

This old Dawg thinks recruiting should cost zero dollars. Let them line up at the stadium on recruitment day and we will give them a thumbs up or down. BTW we will throw in a college education if you play for the Dawgs. Free books, meal pass and a room in the team dorm too.

All the players that just want a stepping stone to the NFL? They can bypass college. See how that works out for them. Many will be back in line on recruitment day.

Does that sound crazy? It seems like I remember it working that way back when it was called "college ball" and the gift of the free college education was the prize.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1

8 years 11 months ago #67791 by Buc
sadlerdawg, for a minute thought I was reading a post from you, then saw stevedawg's name. Remember your thoughts on the issue well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, sadlerdawg

More
8 years 11 months ago #67792 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Yeah Buc I agree 100% with what Steve wrote. I know it isn't likely to stay like that, but unfortunately it's one of many things (most of them are $$ related of course) that are ruining college football, IMO

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

More
8 years 11 months ago #67793 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Apparently, as I have been harping about, the big money circulates at the top. Then M&M lets some of it trickle down. All the money never reaches the coffers of UGA Athletic Dept.
Apparently number two, no facilities money is factored in since it is all payola at the top. Maintenance is somebody else's problem. By the way, does anyone know who is responsible for stadium maintenance?

More,
College education is no longer a attractive part of the deal. Except for the Jan Kemp part. And that is drudgery.

Vision. Money coming in because UGA takes control of it's density. Negotiate the contracts one sided for the Dawgs. Sure, you will have to go a year or two in a tight budget. The big guys might even try to freeze you out of TV, at least ESPN. Then you will have the fans showing up elsewhere. Where UGA can get the money first then distribute it.

We are talking about the Georgia Bulldogs. You can pack the stadium and do your own media streaming.

Then, very generously, donate money to people that need it so they can go to college. And fix the stadium and so forth. Player's and fans come first.

Disruption is the new way in business. Time to disrupt. If the Row won't do it the fans can.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

8 years 11 months ago #67794 by Buc
Strong points stevedawg.

Having been involved with Disney directly here in Central Florida at one time, can see the "takeover" of college football moving forward. Not too long from now, there will be no "exterminator" that will be able to rid SEC Football of M&M.

Believe you and I had some long discussions about IMG and M&M. Was said then and will say it again . . . . folks there is more to come, ain't seen nuthin' yet.

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds