Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #67759 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughs was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Monday we welcome June…closer.. anyone remember…. Niagara Falls….step by step…inch by inch…… if you do… you know who’s on first.

This week’s Blue Plate Special- POAP… YTT….IPF

Pieces of a puzzle….

I can remember Casey Stengel and the early Mets and listening to the AM radio broadcasts of the games.. First time I can remember that I heard about a team searching for pieces of the puzzle. Which players would make the team better and what they had to do? In the early Mets case…everything….

Over the years and hearing it used in a variety of sports it seemed to become part of every team’s off season chatter.

No different for our Dawgs…. Except I have come to believe that up until last year we had coaches and recruiters not on the same page trying to find pieces to our puzzle. In fact we had several different puzzles trying to be solved at the same time.

As we have discussed here before it was a shotgun recruiting effort.

We would recruit and sign then figure out where to play the kids once they arrived on campus. Not a good plan..with very questionable results.

We have done a 180 which I believe started with Bmac taking a very active role leading the recruiting charge…. A very good thing which has only gotten better with a help of the Bama Gang…..

Yesterday…Today…. and Tomorrow

Over the past few months we have heard an ongoing media firestorm about how good the Dawgs will be in 2016 and even better in 2017.

Several folks here have taken issue why forfeit any success that can be reached in 2015?

Can we make to Atlanta and beyond…. Hell yes we can!!!!

Will we?? Play the games one at a time…going to be an interesting team to watch…. Both on offense and defense…. It happens when you have talent. HC remains in BB mode for the entire season… who knows?

Indoor Practice Facility

Just recalling the CMR,McScrooge and Prez love triangle

McScrooge wanted a low ball practice barn out in BFE (softball/soccer complex) Team would have to bus from BM out to the site 25 mins each way from campus. Much lost actual practice time on the field…

CMR wished for it to be closer to the BM

Well… Prez steps in bumps the price to 30 or 34 mill… and it will be connected to the BM by a tunnel. All football related operations in a nice close area. No wasted time farting around….Sweet…… world class……

Game,set and match to HC….thanks for sticking to your guns on this point…sooner would have been better but if we had to wait make it worth while….

I hear the Falcons want to come use it ….lol

Georgia….. just yawned when I asked her what her thoughts were about the upcoming season.

Easy as 1-2-3 was her answer….

1. Snap the ball to any of the available QB’s

2. QB turns left or right

3. Hands the ball off to NC,SM,KM or AJ (for a spicy change Imac)

Repeat as needed until goal line is crossed……

She added we all thought it was going to be the TG3 and KM show in 2014….how did that turn out?

We will have several pleasant surprises out of the new pups on campus….now go fill my water bowl and bump the AC cooler please.

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs”!!!!!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, NC_Dawg, Buc, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #67760 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Nice job YD1.....Georgia and I share common thoughts, as odd as that may sound!...Not about to believe the hype, so I yawn....too!

Lots of off season hope, hype, angst and prognostications to come. Perhaps I'm jaded by the many, MANY years I've been lured down this pathway before. Seen the high profile players come and go...So I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the off season threads. I'll believe we've turned some so-called corner after we've passed the first "real" test....and that will occur on October 3, 2015.

Otherwise, wash, rinse and another repeat....

Nonetheless, its ALWAYS great to watch the Red & Black take the field....I just don't approach the W/L's like I used to. BTW...nice and cool up here in the foothills of WNC....no need to bump the AC down and I take my water with a healthy pull from the MacCallan bottle!

PEACE!!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, ogredawg, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #67761 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Watched Georgia football for several years. Have seen what I believe to be the best job of recruiting ever.

Much time was spent on this board for several years questioning why we were not keeping talented football players playing for UGA.

Believe that the media has gotten through to folks in this day of electronics changing everyday. Many conversations are based on what folks hear, not what they actually know, or believe.

Before all of the gadgetry, there was a time when most football information came from newspapers. Some local stations carried a bit of college football. Ed Thilenius for one.

Article on Ed Thilenius.

www.macon.com/2013/11/05/2756227_georgia...st-has-had.html?rh=1

At the time that Larry Munson arrived in Athens, lived in Atlanta and was involved with a advertising agency/public relations firm, of which the owner was close friends with Milo Hamilton. Spent time shooting "kick'em up quail" in Social Circle, owners hunting preserve. Milo Hamilton was often one of the guests. Milo was not willing to share any of the spotlight with Larry. Short stay.

yankeedawg1, mentioned this one time before. My cousin, Johnny Mize played for Casey. Now in the Hall of Fame. The original tagged "Big Cat". Knocked the damn cover off of a baseball.

NC_Dawg mentioned a while back that I seemed to have walked a lot of trails in my life. He is right. Have had a full life.

Time has come for the BS to stop in Athens, recognizing that there are still some of us outside the arena that have supported the University of Georgia much longer than a 2001 beginning. Looking for results, see some positive changes with the likes of Pruitt/Rocker and Company. They are all about teaching and winning. Thanks again Coach Will Friend, had to start somewhere.

Got sidetracked again, my own doing. So many stories, so little time.

Believe that most on this board have a "wait and see attitude". I also believe it is warranted. Starts at the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, NC_Dawg, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago #67764 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Thanks NCdawg. Georgia read your post and now wants some taste added to her water bowl

Told her maybe when football season starts. Enjoy the weekend .......

Understand Buc. Been blessed with a many opportunities also....and brother it not over yet

Time still on the clock. Enjoy your bloodies. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 10 months ago #67779 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Several points you make in the BPS. One that I believe will keep what is going on in the Classic City for a long time to come. (I hope so).

You said . . . .

We have done a 180 which I believe started with Bmac taking a very active role leading the recruiting charge…. A very good thing which has only gotten better with a help of the Bama Gang…..

I often speak to the Pruitt/Rocker and Company as the start, but . . . . you are right when you bring Bryan McClendon to the forefront. Single biggest and best move that has happened in Athens since . . . . maybe ever. Why do I say that? I look at the recruits that "say" they are coming to Athens. That is no different than any college football program. They "wear the colors" after the February deadline. Anything can and in some cases, will happen prior to finding ones way to the "Dorm".

This particular 2015 group of players are going to make "believers" of some in the SEC. 2016 will be what it will be. The 2015 Class is "loaded" with players that are going to turn some heads.

Looking at what some are saying . . . . Still have the same focus that I have mentioned on this board since the end of 2014. We get the center position filled, our program will stand tall with the SEC, all of the SEC.

This 2015 Group of UGA Football players are "close" to being what Pruitt/Rocker and Company are looking for. Not to be overlooked, this is an "outstanding" group of players.

If anyone has a better group to "chirp" about, now would be a good time to do that.

Folks, comes down to "coaching". When the 2015 Season starts, not one (1) coach can hide.

Remember this my friends . . . . gamecocks, gators and the bees. Prevented "us" from playing in Atlanta. Players fault?

Why are we again, (some) looking at "two years out again"?

Why did we lose the three (3) games mentioned above?

Couple of folks on this board say, defense. Some say fumbles by the running backs.

I will say this . . . . the games were lost because we are "unsure of ourselves", at critical times.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #67781 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Stoopid coaching calls cost us 2 games. Defense cost us 1.

Interesting tidbit is that in 5 games last year the D gave up a TD on the opening drive, putting us down 7-0 before the O took the field.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds