Forum

Decision Making and Georgia Player Improvement

9 years 1 month ago #67065 by Buc
Listening and watching what the players have to say, makes me think about years past.

We now have several former players and coaches that spent much of their time in Alabama, apparently learning how to get the most out of college football players.

Believe most of us can agree that for too many years conditioning has raised its ugly head in Athens. Still remember the gator players laughing and pointing their fingers at Georgia players in the second half of the game some years back.

Agreed that we have changed S&C leaders and assistants, trying to get a grip on the best way to train, especially in the offseason. Personally wonder about a lot of the pulled muscles that our team has gone through prior to this season. For sure it will be worth admission to see if Hocke's S&C routines aid in avoiding too much of the same.

I like the hiring of Hocke. Younger, driven, believes in what he is teaching, and has a resume over the past six years that points to developing championship SEC football players. No way his leader at Alabama has Hocke on his staff for that length of time if he does not fit.

Hearing a lot of leadership talk again . . . . Do know that a player that puts in the time, sees and feels the difference in his body makeup, natural thing to step up and lead. Jordan Jenkins and others seem to understand what it takes to lead, certainly hope so.

Head coach has given the keys to the car to Pruitt/Rocker and Company, now our head coach has given the keys to Hocke and Company.

Don't know about the offense as yet, said that earlier in another thread, but that will play out real quick with the amount of “talent” on that side of the ball. Offensive players serve under Hocke also, not the defensive players alone.

Guess the 2015 Season and the amount of success again resides with those that make the coaching decisions. No place to hide with the abundance of talent that is wearing the Red and Black.

Might be a good time to reassess decision making in crucial situations. Think decision making cost us two games in the 2014 Season, and in my opinion, prevented Georgia from being in the Final Four. Very possible that is the truth.

Just thinking to myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 1 month ago #67066 by DAWGtm
I also like the direction our S&C program is headed. We will find out what fruit it bears this fall hopefully not lemons. Like you and others have said work them hard and they will be to tired to hunt trouble. Now for bonehead calls in critical situations its hard to break a bad habit. He's been trying for years and still falls of the wagon a couple of times a season
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #67067 by Buc
DAWGtm, whether anyone believes this or not, I don't get a lot of satisfaction out of some of the posts that I make concerning our head coach.

Have tried more than once to get on board with Mark Richt. Problem is when I do that, never fails that he does the same thing again. Many that remain with the thoughts that Richt will "snap out" of this and improve . . . . does not seem to happen.

Players are held accountable. Give one maybe more examples.

Ramik Wilson was a "recognized leader" by many of the players his Senior year. He was a leader is a "silent way", meaning that he did not get on the stump and beat his chest. He was respected by those that played with him, earned respect.

Steps out "one (1) time" in the 2014 Season and Richt stepped on Ramik. Ramik Wilson was not allowed to make a mistake, and quite frankly it was not a mistake.

Same can be said for Pruitt. Stepped out, said some things, things that have since been proven to be beneficial to our program. Our head coach did not "back Pruitt". Soon after that, McGarity makes a senseless move, allows two of our coaches to go elsewhere without so much as an effort to retain them. Now Mark Richt is "pissed". McGarity messed with Mike Bobo and that was the undoing and cold shoulder approach taken by Richt against McGarity prior to the Belk Bowl.

Anyone notice that McGarity has moved to the background? Does not want to face up to his mistakes. I don't give a damn that McGarity is a Georgia graduate, the fans that pack Sanford Stadium, many of them also have degrees, but don't have this high and mighty approach that McGarity carries. Hard to move the fishing boat with the anchor still firmly attached to the bottom. My opinion, McGarity is an anchor when it comes to the many loyal fans, many much older than himself and some that have sure as hell put more money in the coffers than he has. I said that.

Takes me to this. I hope that Mark Richt fully recognizes that he does not need McGarity. Maybe the light has gone on for Mark Richt. One thing for sure, there have been many improvements made without any direction coming from McGarity.

Might be that some of these recent hires recognized the problems, spoke up, put the "stuff" back in McGarity's lap.

Any news on the money that was spent to "find" a resting place for the "Indoor Practice Facility"? IPF in Gainesville, Florida is moving along rapidly.

McGarity and Mahogany Row seem to think that Spring Football will remove thoughts about the "overall" improvements that Pruitt spoke out about. There are some fans that will not let McGarity and Mahogany Row to continue on the path of the "past". New blood in Athens and out in the Red and Black Football World that are not easily fooled. I am one that refuses to be "used".

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 1 month ago #67068 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Decision Making and Georgia Player Improvement
No one can convince me that Mac made a mistake in getting rid of Bobo. Long over due and his tenure at CSU will show that IMHO. Now as far as what players and coaches are 'talking" about and how good things are....well...I will say one thing...they can talk the talk but will or can they walk the walk...I have heard this for the past 5 years and no SEC championship to show for it...

thecountrynation.com

More
9 years 1 month ago #67069 by Buc
There has been a lot of back and forth about Mike Bobo for many years. Some that disagree with Mike Bobo being the offensive coordinator, others that believe differently. What I do know is Mike Bobo is no longer a coach in Athens.

Really hard for me to understand why Will Friend left only because he was a friend of Mike Bobo. Was it the pay raise? Substantial raise, think a lot of folks would move on for that.

Using the same principle, maybe it is time for McGarity to move on. What has he done to improve our performance in Athens?

As far as the past 5 years, guess I go back a little further than that . . . . maybe since the early 1980's.

There was also some talk about Pruitt coming on board on this board. Appears to me that he has done a lot to improve football in Athens. Not just the defensive side, seem to remember him stepping up and putting the head coach and the money monger McGarity on the spot.

Mike Bobo was one example. McGarity remains at the trough.

Overflowing toilets, but somehow there was enough money to make improvements on the upper level. Mahogany Row really has a problem with their concessions/bathrooms and such . . . . really?

Red panties replaced by scrooge. I understand. Removing Mike Bobo was much more important than what many paying fans put up with in Sanford Stadium and that has been longer than 5 years.

Some break it down to "priorities".

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 1 month ago #67070 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Decision Making and Georgia Player Improvement
The wrong OC was hired IMHO. Friend should have be given the job...but a "pro style" type OC was wanted and the more I read up on the one hired is we did mediocre at best because that is just what Schott was in the pros...mediocre...but to be fair lets see what he can do at the college level...

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds