Forum

Mark Richt Waiting For Faton Bauta's 5th Year?

9 years 2 months ago #66953 by DAWGtm
The whole FB situation has me scratching my head. Here are something's I don't understand. Some have already been mentioned.
1) had to know he was a dual threat QB if you didn't want to use him it that capacity why recruit him.

The only answer I can come up with they didn't want to play against him

2) Why put him in for one play at the beginning of the year?

To burn a year of eligibility. See answer to #1

3) What is being told to him to get him to stay?

Don't have a clue on that one

I'm not at practice to see how he does but AM talked highly of him and when I do get to see him he has a good field presence.

Remember when AM first came on the scene how he liked using his wheels until he was chastised maybe FB doesn't like that part of his game taken away so the powers to be are just letting him set the bench untill he conforms.

That being said maybe FB has no desire to play in the pros and he's sticking around for the education he is receiving.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66954 by Buc
Really good post ogredawg. Especially the "two year cycle" referred to as the "learning curve".

Once AM had it down, seems the "egg throwing" ended.

Back to Sam Vaughn again. Here is a young man that can really move. 6'3", 4.45 40, not afraid of contact, 4.0 GPA in high school. Perfect example of another young man that would be willing to play wide receiver, from what I hear. Sam Vaughn is a Michael Bennett with speed.

Talent appraisal has never been one of Richt's strong suits. Would hate to see Sam Vaughn go through the same thing that Faton Bauta has and is going through. Sam Vaughn, talented young man that I hope Bryan McClendon gets his hands on. I said that. McClendon, not Richt.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #66955 by Buc
DAWGtm, you and I both remember the coaches taking AM's wheels away. There was a lot of talk from the press when AM was the quarterback, mentioning his "lack of height". Makes sense to me if our quarterback is shorter than some, makes sense to move around or run when those big'uns get their hands up.

Still believe that AM went to camps elsewhere because he wanted to learn more about the position than his coaches could provide, or would provide. I know for a fact that both Richt and Bobo were not happy when AM went on the second trip to Oklahoma. AM was basically challenging their competence. Fact.

One real good thing about the internet, now folks like many that post here and elsewhere can question openly what is going on with our university of choice and why certain decisions are made.

Football is the hot college sport, the "Goose", the one that lays the "Golden Eggs". One need only ask McGarity, keeper of the "eggs" just how important our football program is to the University of Georgia's "Egg Vault".

Good stuff DAWGtm . . . . would like to have our head coach answer your questions . . . . not holding your breath I hope.

DAWGtm, check your webmail. :)

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 months ago #66957 by NC_Dawg
As I said before, my coaching "creds" are limited to the sport whose name sake we discuss daily! Nonetheless, many of the concepts of coaching are applied for a variety of sports. It is with this in mind that I make the following statement, not every athlete is capable or intended to start. For every starter you need a back up, or many! It's extremely difficult to plan from season to season how each years starters and back ups will logistically fit into a system and be successful. However, THIS, IMVHO, is what separates the great coaches from the good ones.

I honestly believe, at least early on, CMR "thought" both Mason and Bauta would compete and perhaps a diamond appear. Lest we forget there were a few "other" names (LeMay) tossed around that might have also risen to the top and precluded Mason's 5th year. The same can and likely will be said about Bauta and/or Ramsey, should Park or Eason fail to impress early. As far as Ramsey goes, he reminds me a lot of AM in the early years....forced passes, floaters and throwing into very tight coverage. However, even when AM was "learning" and making boneheaded decisions, there was something about him, that "IT" factor that managed to convince me that he (AM) would eventually get it.....I don't see the "IT" factor in Ramsey and I can't honestly judge Bautu because his playing time is damn near non-existent.

Comparatively speaking, CMR has done a reasonably good job of recruiting QB talent. It's the development of that talent that I question! Particularly from a coach whose "bread and butter" is/was supposed to be in developing QB's! So to answer your question Buc, No, I do not believe CMR is waiting for Bauta's 5th year, anymore than I believe he "waited" for Mason's. Rather, I believe CMR's decision making and post recruitment development have lead to situations where a 5th year bench warmer is elevated to a situation like what we experienced last season. Moreover, CMR's boneheadedness in not using last season to further develop Ramsey and/or Bauta will be sincerely felt in 2015!...That is, of course, should Park emerge to be the "one",....then to discourse will rapidly shift to Park/Eason and Ramsey/Bauta will fill the role of back up!

That's my .02.....But hey, I'm a former Futbol coach! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
9 years 2 months ago #66958 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Mark Richt Waiting For Faton Bauta's 5th Year?
I firmly believe that there was no "competition" for the starting QB this past season, as I firmly believe that there will be no "competition" this season. Ramsey is the starting QB because that is what the media has said...where is the media getting their info...duh one guess...the Park smoke screen is just being thrown out there for clicks on the AJC and others...

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 months ago #66959 by Buc
Who was the university and coach that went down to the wire for Ramsey? Alabama/Saban. The one thing that Nick Saban refused to do was promise the spot, everything but . . . .

Takes me to this . . . . Why did JJ Green transfer? Read the link below, young man wants to play football. He did everything asked of him . . . . play offense or defense, team player.

In my mind, another coaching decision that makes no damn sense. Said earlier in this thread and have said the same "stuff" before. Focusing on the "prize" is not something that Mark Richt is capable of doing.

Not saying that JJ was the best back in the SEC, do know this, JJ Green is a football player, above all, JJ Green transferred to Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson will make good use of this young man.

Did JJ transfer because of his "height"? Did JJ transfer because there was no "stability" from the coaching staff"?

Not asking anyone to do anything more than focus on what "you and I" have focused on for many years. When is it that the "same story line" gets old, and changes need to be made?

Some on this board continue to say . . . . just stay out of the way. For those that want to "retreat" every Spring, right after the recruiting cycle . . . . I promise you this is a true statement . . . . We (UGA) have never been short of talent on the playing field. Our short coming is . . . .

www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgias...rring-to-tech/njNnk/

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds