Forum

This Thread Belongs to Those That Know . . . .

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65156 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Did a little research,.....
....before commenting on Buc's thread. To borrow from the author's known proclivity for archival reference, I looked back into the "vault". Anyone here can do the same, it's at the bottom of the page, listing the number of threads displayed. Currently it's at 240 pages, dating back nearly 10 years.....

Lots of memories contained therein, but what struck me was the similarity of the "excuses" used to keep CMR, circa 2007/2008. In fact, damn near EVERYONE who is currently on the "dark side" was a strong and outspoken supporter of CMR, myself included! We used the "new coach fear factor" back then because the memory of "DoNut" and "Goof" was still very fresh...and the mistakes being made were embarrassing, but not nearly as frequent as they are now....Turn the clock forward six years and we are EXACTLY where we were, except the embarrassments are much more frequent, the mistakes remain as consistent as they were in season "numero uno" and the excuses used to favor keeping CMR are in tune with those first uttered 6-7 years ago.

The difference you ask?....Well, since then many, myself included, have changed our opinion about CMR. Many are changing as a result of this season. As I noted in an earlier thread, CMR had a golden opportunity to seize control of the SECE and built a powerhouse! During this same period UT and UF faltered, leaving only USCe as a contender. Did we build a powerhouse?.....Now, 6-7 years later UT has begun its return, UF looks to be on course, and Darth Visor has CMR's codsack in a jar!....but not nearly enough have awaken!!!

I wrote this thread nearly six years ago.....Titled "Deja Vu'"

I am certain that many here have their own dawg related rituals. Oddly enough, for me, I always grew a full beard every fall/winter and shaved in the spring. As rituals go, I began to associate the timing of my beard growth around the first loss of my beloved dawgs. As a UGA student from 83-87, Coach Dooley provided many a season of chilly cheeks, before I sprouted hair. Coach Goff and Coach Donnan were, for the most part, icons for early growth. There was a season here or a season there that prolonged the process, but it was not uncommon for me to have a full and nicely trimmed beard by Halloween.

Then came Richt and almost immediately my ritual became later and later into the fall season. Sadly, the tipping point always seemed to be around the last of October, but you could bet, with damn near certainty, that it would not be before then....Well, you could!

Now that I am older and I am less inclined to grow a warming swath of grey; much to Ms. NC_Dawgs delight, but I look back upon that ritual of mine and realize that a circle has been completed. We are now, where we were, looking for answers, pointing at assistants and blaming youthful athletes. It's all to mundane and we as the BullDawg Nation, once again find ourselves on familiar, yet uncomfortable ground.

Allow me to illustrate, here are a few quotes, see if you can tell who said each. "I’ve been waiting 55 years to be the head coach of a football team that has this much potential, and I guarantee you that we’re going to get it done." , "It's not like we got shellacked and run off the field" , "...the things that we were doing when we were in the top 10, we're still doing those same things." , "That's two years in a row we've gotten down like the Titanic,..."That's as close to looking like the game was fixed as I've ever seen, the way we were jumping offsides and making a lot of silly mistakes."...

The first is fairly well known and perhaps familiar to a few, and clearly Jim Donnan. The next 3???...That's Mark Richt for the first two and Donnan for the last...Am I the only one who see's similarities? Moreover, those two CMR quotes were expressed following our loss to Arkansas. Have we collectively circumvented the sphere of reason where opponents like Arkansas and Mississippi State are considered "big" games? Seriously??...

There comes a time when diminishing returns signal a need for change. I believe we are now entering that period of recognizing that which we've feared for some time. Whether we are destined to repeat our history, both good or bad, depends on our courage and determination to demand more than mediocrity and we've been mired to our axles long enough!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #65161 by wlayton

Buc wrote: Since our loss to Tech have read a lot of fire the head coach and the other side, keep the head coach.

Fire the head coach posts that I have read have some valid reasons. Some are just ranting fools that don't have a clue.

Keep the head coach group intrigues me more. It is often asked from that group . . . . Who would we replace Richt with?

Thinking and talking to myself, I come up with this.

Florida came up with a head coach about two weeks after it was announced that Muschamp was told to leave, not asked, Foley does not handle hirings and firings that way.

Is Florida the only university that can replace a head coach with a quality head coach in that period of time?

Maybe with the bunch that run the football program in Athens could not or would not be able to do that . . . . right? wrong?

Only schools like Ohio State, Penn State, Florida and many others are capable of replacing their head coach without all of the BS that we hear coming from the side that says . . . . who would we replace Mark Richt with. The argument or lack of has no validity from where I sit.

Again, Mark Richt is going no where, so the folks that call themselves UGA supporters have nothing to worry about. He will continue to give them the 9/10 wins "most seasons". Of course when he dips below the 9/10 wins, there is as Wartdawg and others have said, "next year". Right now the "other side" are saying "2016".

Just talking to myself, again. :whistle:

Foley/UF aren't exactly perfect with their hirings.....2 big busts with Zook and Muschamp which has set that progam way back. Alot of pressure on Foley with this latest hire I'm told, if this hire is a bust, Foley may be headed to the exit door himself.

UF isn't the be all end all with HC hunting.

Bottom line is no guarantees on any hiring...could move the program forward or backwards. Just ask gator fans.

PVBDAWG

More
9 years 4 months ago #65163 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic This Thread Belongs to Those That Know . . . .
It's no big secret that our president prior did not want our program to be like Alabama's.
He considers it shady.

What is shady is pretending to be something you are not.
Georgia is not a premiere program.
Richt is not a premiere coach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 4 months ago #65164 by Buc
Interesting post wlayton.

First thought that came to my mind when reading your post was VD.

Prior to VD being hired, there were coaching problems in Athens. After VD was hired, coached and then shoved into the next position, he made some mistakes that were monumental compared with some others in that position elsewhere. As we know, not only football, basketball and the future Athletic Director stick out like a sore thumb under VD's lack of knowledge and hiring practices.

I will go on record with this statement. The hiring of Jim McElwain will accomplish what is needed to save Jeremy Foley from the chopping block. There is an abundance of young talent on the gators roster. The offense will be "fixed" post haste.

Foley hired McElwain and ridded himself of the "heat". Reading comments from people that support the gators, one would think that they had just won another NC.

Would also bet this . . . . McElwain will not have his team on the "two year plan" that so many post when discussing the future of UGA football.

There is no doubt that Foley was feeling the heat. There also is no doubt that he put the fire out quickly. Have read several articles that say our head coach/administration is feeling more heat than he/they were around in the year 2010 or so.

What I do like about the way Foley handled the head coaching situation is this . . . . Foley did not let any grass grow under his feet. Put the fire out in two weeks. Seem to remember our head coach having a very difficult time hiring a defensive coordinator prior to grantham signing on. We found out quickly that our head coach does not have the "value" of others in the profession when it comes to hiring. An example of that recently . . . . Will Friend is the main reason that our head coach linked up with Jeremy Pruitt.

Here we have McGarity still hemming and hawing over every issue associated with UGA football. If at this point I had to vote on which university is getting things done, it would not be the program that McGarity is supposedly running.

Richt backers call that sour grapes, I call it a different way.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago #65165 by Buc

averagedawg wrote: It's no big secret that our president prior did not want our program to be like Alabama's.
He considers it shady.

What is shady is pretending to be something you are not.
Georgia is not a premiere program.
Richt is not a premiere coach.

Truth.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago #65170 by wlayton
Buc, McElwain supposedly met all of Foley's criteria for the HC he was looking for.....1 prior HC...2. offensive minded....3. runs a clean program.

My understanding is other big named choices weren't available/interested...ie...Chip Kelly, Gruden, Mullen and Stoops. Stoops and Foley are really GOOD friends so I'm sure they discussed the job privately over a phone call as well as Foley getting Stoops opinion's on coaches etc.

Coincidentally, Foley cranked up the jet pretty quickly because Nebraska was after McElwain as well.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds