Forum

This season with Stafford?

16 years 9 months ago #5246 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic As I Recall,...
I was a rather outspoken opponent of Stafford's \"premature\" rise to power and playing time last season. In fact, I was almost certain he would/should redshirt. Now, I'll be honest up front and state that I have a rather personal bias toward JC. I happen to have close connections to the Cox family and further believe that Joe paid a years worth of dues to be given more than the casual opportunity he was given. Nonetheless, we are where we are and MS is the main man under center. Like Dapolla,(What does that nick stand for??) I am comfortable with the knowledge that we have an experienced, game proven back-up, if we are ever in need. Furthermore, I believe MS worked through many of the mental midget \"freshman\" mistakes, via baptism under fire. My expectation is that we will see a much improved, more patient leader in Matthew.

While there is understandable concern over the OL, I doubt it can get any worse that it was last year!!! The biggest difference will be that we won't be breaking in a green QB along with a green OL!!!! Likewise, I suspect that many of our opponents, at least early on in the season, will underestimate our ground attack. This, as I suspect, will be their undoing. Remember, we are likely to see a completely different approach in game plan and execution with Bobo as OC. Where CMR was quick to abandon the run, I suspect Bobo will hold fast. Likewise, I believe we will see an enhancement in the play action/gadget play...less conservative, more wide open and fast paced. In conclusion, MS will have a plethora of receiver options and packages to spread the field!!!

I suspect we will stumble a time or two, but that possibility is just as probably as running the table! I feel much better about the forthcoming season than I did last, due in part to the proven growth and maturation of MS. On that note I've attached two links that outline information on MS, as well as document the proven \"off the bench\" abilities of JC!!!

LINK #1: sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp/index?id=2959056

LINK #2:

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #5252 by swamphox
Replied by swamphox on topic Re:As I Recall,...
stafford'll do fine

i think having bobo as OC is a big step in a national championship direction...the guy picked apart the best defense in the country last yr !

i think stafford has the talent and execution...if the line can't hold then there are ways around that (screen passes lol)

i think bobo will be a great play caller

my issue with cmr calling plays was that he would too often do something that didnt work until it did rather than vice versa...i found this upsetting...i dont care how well something goes in practice against a scout D mimicking Florida....if it doesnt play on the field then you need to go with something else

• swamphox
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #5258 by Getdown11
Replied by Getdown11 on topic Re:As I Recall,...
I think Staffords success is largely dependent on the success of the running game.
Every year we should be able to run the ball. Every year it seems our running game is mediocre at best.

Hopefully this year will be different.

Go Dawgs!!!!

More
16 years 9 months ago #5267 by swamphox
Replied by swamphox on topic Re:As I Recall,...
once again attributable to CMR's play calling...I think the running game is completely under utilized

• swamphox
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #5268 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:As I Recall,...
Well if you look at that last drive against Tech last year...running Danny Ware in order to set up the play-action as opposed to running the pass to set up the run...I love CMR but I'm also glad he realized he shouldn't call the plays. All of his time at FSU with all that success...was Bowden calling the plays? No. He was. Same goes here. If Richt wants to be a truly great coach he has to let go the reins a bit, and that's what he's done handing things over to Bobo.

By all accounts Stafford is VASTLY improved over last year. I'm not worried about our offense. Our defense on the other hand...especially our secondary...

Then again, we had the same concerns in '05 and look what happened there.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 9 months ago #5284 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:As I Recall,...
The best thing that can happen is for the Dawgs to be a little maligned, underrated. The local talkshow buzz here in Nashville is how OkState is gonna demolish Georgia. That kind of talk only makes a good team great. I have a lot less trepidation this year than last. Maybe Bobo, maybe Stafford, maybe just faith. Can't wait. Go Dawgs!

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds