Forum

This season with Stafford?

16 years 9 months ago #5223 by RedDawg
This season with Stafford? was created by RedDawg
What do you all expect to see this season with Stafford? I believe he will do what he needs to do. Last season he was young and thrown into the fire pretty quickly. I am anxious to see the new improved and mature Matthew Stafford.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #5225 by flyindawg
Replied by flyindawg on topic Re:Try this again
I'm not to sure. I know some people think he's the next coming. I just don't see it. I didn't see the consistent play needed at the QB position. In any of the QB's for that matter. I do believe though if CMR leaves him in and only him in (unless, God forbid he gets hurt) he will do just fine. After all it's only his second year and he had huge shoes to fill.

More
16 years 9 months ago #5233 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Try this again
Stafford showed great improvement at the end of last season. I may be overly optimistic but I think he wins Offensive MVP in the SEC this year. The kid has it all.

More
16 years 9 months ago #5235 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Try this again
Agreed.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 9 months ago #5237 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Try this again
Unfortunately, because unlike the exaggerations by other sports, the media really DOES rule our sport, he could get Offensive Player of the Year based on sheer hype, rather than on his accomplishments.

HOWEVER...he showed great improvement last year, you're right. The Auburn game was proof of what can happen when Stafford is patient with the ball, knows that he can throw it away on second down and therefore doesn't launch any picks. And he's got a lazer-beam, rocket arm. And he's incredibly mature for a kid his age, in terms of leadership ability. All you need is the footage of the final drive against Tech to see that.

Plus the kid can run the Veer.

Plus he's not afraid to hand off or check down.

Plus he's got Joe Cox behind him, and if the two touchdown drives he led against Colorado aren't enough to convince you of HIS leadership abilities and quarterbacking potential, nothing will. This year won't be like DJ having JoeT to back him up against Florida in 2005. If -- God forbid, but it happened to JoeT against SCarolina last year and against Arkansas for DJ in '05 -- Stafford goes down, we have a serious blue-chipper behind him. And you ALWAYS perform better when there's a guy behind you who wants your job, and who COULD take it.

Stafford will be fine. IF his O-line holds up...and IF the defense can make some stops...and IF his tailbacking platoon gains yardage...oh, dear...now I'm starting to worry...

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 9 months ago #5244 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Try this again
Hey dapolla, you're starting to sound like Dooley.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds