Forum

CFP Expansion

2 years 3 months ago #82363 by Wartdawg
CFP Expansion was created by Wartdawg
ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips told reporters on Friday that they oppose an expansion of the CFP to 8-12 teams. Being that all the participating conferences must agree, the ACC has effectively killed expansion of the playoff system until 2026.

Funny... I don't know what their plan is here. They've never put anyone in other than Clemson, and they've effectively killed anyone other than Clemson ever getting in.

They made some remarks about keeping the other bowl games relevant, but that ship has already sailed in my opinion. With top players opting out left and right, and conference championships meaning little other than the SEC ticket to getting two teams in the championship picture, all other bowl games already mean little.

I and others here always knew that the 4 team playoff meant the demise of the traditional bowl system so now that is the case, not embracing an expanded playoff system seems foolish.

Just an old Dawg's opinion...

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Wartdawg
  • Wartdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 years 3 months ago #82367 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic CFP Expansion
I don't get the ACC's dog in this fight. I oppose an 8-12 team playoff too because what's going to be sacrificed in favor of that is regular season play. The NCAA ruined its own system because it just HAD TO HAVE a playoff structure so the SEC wouldn't be in the championship game every season. It worked a charm didn't it?

To me, the only way to make bowl games relevant anymore is by turning the transfer portal into a lottery system. Enter the bowl season with the minimum record (6-6) and win your bowl game, and you get top dibs in the transfer portal lottery. Something to that effect. I know they could have multiple 6-6 teams that win their bowl, so they'd have to come up with some kind of ranking system to determine who got first dibs, but that would definitely be a way to re-vitalize the bowl season. They could get creative with this.

Just food for thought.

8-12 teams? No thanks. 6 teams? Yeah I could deal with six because it wouldn't sacrifice regular season play if we had two byes to start the playoffs.

More
2 years 3 months ago #82371 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic CFP Expansion
I didn't even really want playoffs in general, but that genie can't be put back in the bottle.

That being said.. I just find it odd that the ACC would a conference that opposed any expansion.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Wartdawg
  • Wartdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #82374 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic CFP Expansion
Wart …. Me thinks the ACC and other conferences are wandering lost in the woods..

They have no idea on how to compete with the SEC…

And they continue to fall further behind…

Go Dawgs!

More
2 years 3 months ago #82375 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic CFP Expansion
I didn't want the playoffs either. I knew it would turn into the fiasco it has become.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
2 years 3 months ago #82378 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic CFP Expansion
While not the perfect answer…. Expanding the playoffs would

increase the number of bowl games having importance in the CFP..

I think the Natty needs to be played at the site of NY6 bowl

Continue to rotate the CFP between NY6 bowls..

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds