Forum

Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC

2 years 3 months ago #82233 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC
NFL…. Will have a new challenge… college coaches huge salaries and extended contracts with huge buyouts..

NFL .. HC’s who don’t want to recruit… deal with youthful problems..

Few coaches have been successful … coaching college and pros….

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #82235 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC
I think what scooby is trying to say is that the business end of this has overshadowed the intent of college athletics. I agree that the coaching salaries have gotten absolutely out of freaking control since the apogee of Saban's tenure at Bama. At any big name public school, the head coach is the highest paid employee of the state in which the University is located. But looking at this objectively - what I don't like is that these newly-minted coaches are being handsomely rewarded before they've done anything at their position. This all started back in the day with "guaranteed contracts" for rookies going pro.

For example, Mel Tucker. Mel just signed a 10 year, roughly $9M/yr contract with guaranteed buyouts. What exactly has Mel done? Yes, he's amassed an impressive record in his first season with Mark Dantonio's players, but really, he's put together one solid season and now he's worth $9M/yr? These contracts are just getting stupid. And the boosters are expected to pony up the massive amounts of money to buy these guys out when they fail? Why is this right?

If I were writing the NCAA coaching contract framework, it would be that any head coach under 5 years' experience can receive either:

a.) A short term guaranteed + incentive-based contract based on performance for a specific block of time not to exceed 5 years, but with no buyout option for termination with or without cause.

Or...

b.) A non-guaranteed contract for a specific block of time, but with an incentives-based buyout option for termination with or without cause. [For example, an incentives-based buyout could say something like: Baseline buyout is $1M and then for every game you won, it's an X dollar amount in addition towards your buyout total up to a total of X dollars.)

Under my benevolent dictatorship, if you are a new coach, you can choose one or the other, but you don't get both. Of course, there could be deal sweeteners in there like: if the coach wins his conference championship within the first 3 seasons, the contract can immediately switch over to guaranteed + buyout. There's a million ways to get creative with this, but just throwing $9M+ a season at an unproven head coach at his first year on the job, and then throwing $12M more at him to buy him out when they fire him 3 seasons from now is not a sustainable system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
2 years 3 months ago #82236 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC
Was that what he was trying to say in between calling Dan Lanning another "redneck millionaire" and insinuating he and others would all be working at Walmart?

Scooby is a site troll. He always has been and he always will be.

He's not a Georgia fan, and I doubt he's a college football fan.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #82237 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC
Just to clarify, I am a redneck millionaire. So no disrespected intended on my part. Those coaches have got it made. Nothing else they could be doing to make as much money. My point about working as a Walmart manager is that’s where their skill set would transfer. Managing 100 twenty year olds performing non technical duty’s.

As for being a Dawg fan I made it clear I was just a casual fan when I joined the site. Just came here to gain some knowledge about the program, to discuss with my Dad. I have been to 4 UGA bowls games, most of them 40ish years ago. Went to 20 or so UGA home games in the 70s. So still a soft spot for the dawgs, but nothing rabid.

I’ve been to probably 25 other college football games over the last ten years. Several at my kids university’s and most at my alma mater. So I am a college football fan. My team has been to one bowl game in10 years, so no need to get to excited, just enjoy tailgating and seeing old friends.

Edit…several college football coaches could be tv preachers. Some of them can really get folks fired up.

I hope you guys enjoy your day. I’m getting ready to head out for an NFL game. Fingers crossed for a flyover.:)

More
2 years 3 months ago #82238 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC
Not a Georgia fan…pffft.

I would wager I’m the only guy here who remembers Gliding Glenn Harrison.

More
2 years 3 months ago #82239 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Dan Lanning Leaves UGA for Oregon HC
Recalling an obscure running back from the 70’s doesn’t establishes you…As a Dawg fan…. Nope not going to cut it..

You already stated … if we win a Natty you will dig out your old

UGA …stuff.. which means you haven’t stayed current with Dawg gear.. major violation for being a Dawg fan..

You already admitted….you joined this board to learn more about the Dawg..hmmm … BS… alert..

Scooby….. enjoy the NFL ….. you’re still a troll ….

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scooby

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds