Forum

From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20

4 years 3 months ago #80767 by yankeedawg1
From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20 was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

We have shared here about playing to our standard and to remain focused…..

Prior to kickoff we didn’t have a clue what was going to be the level of effort or interest that our team would have for playing in the Sugar Bowl for the second straight year…

Much was said by the talking heads about had Georgia had peaked and CKS was seeing us sliding backwards…. We sent a record for us with the number of players sitting out our bowl game…….

We had heard all week that this a different year and a different team…..

Coaching staff had us ready…. A very good game plan…. Which was well executed….. Baylor wasn’t a cupcake….. we had to regrouped in the third quarter.. which we did….. strong finish with not signs of be gassed …..

Defense played lights out…. Offense made plays ….. really impressed with the energy Coach Luke brings to the sidelines …. I know time will tell but I

Think our OL is in excellent hands….. by midseason this defense will be even better than his year….. scary good….

Truly happy to see Pickens play well and avoid the stupid stuff….

Coach Smart ..after the game touched on a subject that had been in all team sports at all levels… he referred to as a disease …… or … a player thinks he or she is better than they actually are….. the hard work of trying to get better and improve is replaced with a big head and a sense of entitlement…

Coach is meeting this head on….. players getting left in Athens …. For a variety of reasons …. Players on he field Wednesday night…

Wanted to be there …. The efforts put forth the entire game… much appreciated by many fans … self included….

With what was available to him to use… our OC called a good game …..

Fake field goal …. HC came to win …..

So now we now have eight months to catch our breath …. Enjoyed the Gus Bus… blowing blue smoke…. Again…. Looking forward to

His up coming visit to Athens this fall…..

a word of thanks to all the current Dawgs who are moving on to the next chapter in their lives .... thanks you for your efforts and good luck....

Going to be difficult to replace #98 ..... he was a weapon .... DGD.... very best wishes for the future.....

Pause and give thanks…

Have a great weekend and a safe week……

As always “Go Dawgs"

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 3 months ago #80768 by growl
Replied by growl on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20
And just added a new DAWG, TE Darnell Washington, Buc your wish came true

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 months ago #80769 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20
Chief, Washington will be a tight end that the ball will be tossed to often. Many members have wanted more tight end action and this recruit will see to that. Couple more gifted receivers from the Sunshine State heading to Athens, Coach Smart and Company filled a huge void. Also agree that Coach Luke is a welcome addition to the staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
4 years 3 months ago #80770 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20
Leaving this season on a much better note than last season. I think the coaches, especially the head coach took the lessons from last year and fixed the problems. Beat a good team. Loved the defense last night and all year.

Next year should be fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 months ago #80771 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20
Darnell Washington is a TE for the ages. Guys like this don't come along very often. Landing him is a testament to Kirby's recruiting prowess.I just truly hope that he's used the fullest potential possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #80772 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 03-01-20
There has been a lot of chatter here and elsewhere about the lack of tight end participation in the passing game. Once on campus and being taught, there is little reason for 2020 to ever look like "many" previous years. Don't care who is calling the plays, if they cannot get the ball to Darnell, time to rethink the "play caller". Believe it has been said on this board by many . . . . NO EXCUSES.

In my mind the main question for the 2020 Season is whether or not Jake Fromm will return. I hope Jake stays for more reasons than one. First off I want his experience both "on and off" the field of play. Much like when most of us learned to drive a car, needed some guidance or a lot of guidance, not all potential quarterbacks come in and take up where "experienced quarterbacks" leave off.

Having always been one to keep an eye or eyes on the offensive line, what I saw from the young men in the Sugar Bowl bolstered my confidence in what many of us have talked about since Smart and Company's arrival . . . . DEPTH. Yep, we have depth on the offensive line . . . . how fantastic that sounds when I type this. Can remember the ups and downs prior to Smart and Company and looking back, was not a pretty picture.

Following in dawgs_fans_dad footsteps mentioned in this thread, Loved the defense last night and all year. Loved the defense last night and all year. I go into 2020 with as much or more confidence about our defense than most years I have watched our team.

Going to take a solid team, offensively, defensively and Special Teams to put smiles on our faces in 2020. We do have Alabama on our schedule, at their place I think. Nick Saban whether liked or not by some or many, Saban will have his team loaded in 2020. I don't fear that, just know we have to be ready and there is no reason not to be ready.

Going to be interesting to see who takes over the kicking game. I am finally sold on our punter, think he grew up as the season moved along. Big loss losing Blankenship, not that easily replaced. One of my favorite players of all time and that goes back a long way. Young man meant more to our team than kicking field goals and long end zone kickoffs. Blankenship came to Athens, worked his tail off, asked for nothing in return other than a chance to play. At one point there seemed to be a problem with Dad and Coach, young many handled that situation like a true professional.

For many years the media and opponents have mentioned Georgia FANS are always sky high about the next year. Certain blogs, can agree with that. 2020 Season gives me no reason "not" to be "up" for our program. We have the pieces and parts to compete at a level in the SEC and college football in general to not have "serious" optimism about this group. Couple more players that I hope find their way to Athens, if so, we just get stronger.

Coach'em Up! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds