Forum

Matt Luke .

4 years 3 months ago #80644 by BulldogShannon
Matt Luke . was created by BulldogShannon
No doubt Luke is a slight step down from Pittman. Just trying to be realistic. However, there may be upside here.

1) He seems to be very personable and likable. This could keep all 5 recruits in Athens. Worse case, he keeps 3, I'm happy. the mother think, no doubt he brings 1-3 Ole Miss recruits/current players with him to add depth.

2). It may give Kirby the window to use Luke ans Coley together to tweek our offense just a little. Bottom line, had everyone underclassman WR and the one who was kick out of school returned, my gut is we are undefeated,

3. If we lose 2 out of our 5 OLmen, I bet Luke gets 2 to come who wouldn't have. And with what's already in Athens, that is no issue.

4. Next up: OC. Smart, what you want to do????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BulldogShannon
  • BulldogShannon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #80645 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Matt Luke .
Bulldog Shannon,

I'm not so sure I agree that Luke is a step down. He may not be as big a personality as Pittman, but I can assure you he's every bit as schooled in the way of building SEC offensive lines and knows how to build relationships. He's a phenomenal recruiter. Remember, you have to separate the personality from the talent. They stand alone as two separate entities when it comes to recruiting and coaching. They work together, but they are separate. We've had excellent recruiters on our team before that weren't really such a much when it came to coaching - see Bryan McClendon & Tracy Rocker. Those guys have been around the game a long time - both are excellent top tier recruiters, but McClendon just got demoted back to position coach and Rocker still is coaching D-lines and hasn't got his shot to move up to a DC spot. The two (personality & talent) don't always work in tandem. The reason Muschamp kept Bryan on the team is because of his recruiting power, especially in Georgia and Alabama. You don't let that kind of talent walk away.

Sam Pittman was both - he was an excellent coach and a world class recruiter. He was, next to Kirby, the face of UGA football. When it comes to Matt Luke, he got a raw deal at Ole Miss, and his players threatened to quit over his firing. That says a LOT.

Time will tell, but I'm not viewing this hire as anything but a grand slam...and that brings me to my next point...

This is the kind of hire you get when you have Kirby Smart as at the helm. For all this bull excrement I'm seeing from these "fans" - who are still, after 4 years, butt hurt over Richt's firing - comparing Kirby to Richt, this is why such comparisons are BS. It's high time they go cheer for another team. They're still pissing and moaning over a coach who is not only not at UGA anymore, but has retired!

How about this stat for all the Richt fans, since we're doing comparisons...

Tell me what season did Mark Richt lose his offensive coordinator, his defensive coordinator, his thousand yard rusher, thousand yard receiver, and top tier defensive backs who went in the first round of the NFL draft, AND STILL make the SEC Championship game........for his third year in a row??

Go sell insane somewhere else.

GO DAWGS

N.B. - Pay attention to Robby Ashford, who just de-committed from Ole Miss
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 months ago #80649 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Matt Luke .
Sam Pittman was never going to be here forever, and I don't believe our success has ever depended on a single position coach.

Sam was great, but he's gone. We replaced him with a really solid choice.. probably the best choice we had.

That is all.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #80650 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Matt Luke .
SD, I find myself opening posts that you have placed here to be top notch. Know that I have said that before, probably will do so again . . . . many times I hope.

You are spot on throughout the post, one comment that I am in total agreement with is Bryan McClendon. BM is a solid recruiter, hard to come by if you are from another conference working the deep South. Probably should not say this but . . . . would not bother me if McClendon returned to Athens as our wide receiver coach.

Moving on . . . . see where there are recruits that are pulling back with Sam Pittman's departure. If that surprises anyone, should not, Sam Pittman is special in several ways. He "was" the kind of coach that every successful head coach not only wants but needs.

In agreement with Wart's post on the position change.

Sam Pittman was never going to be here forever, and I don't believe our success has ever depended on a single position coach.

Sam was great, but he's gone. We replaced him with a really solid choice.. probably the best choice we had.

Most know that these young recruits fresh out of high school become attached to their recruiter. That has been going on forever. While the universities might have all of the "glitzy stuff" that these young men are fascinated by, having that recruiting relationship is how the deal is made. Sam Pittman referred to Kirby Smart and his "method" of recruiting, said he not only learned a lot from Kirby, he respected the way Kirby recruits.

I do not think that all of the changes have been made yet concerning both players and coaches for 2020. When Mickey Mouse sweetened the pot that goes by the name SEC, had and has a lot to do with coaches moving around. Now we are beginning to see and hear about players being rewarded for their ability to draw attention to their talents. Talented players with a big media following stand to do well . . . . soon.

Not sure how this game in New Orleans will work out, but do think that Baylor is a good football team. If we have the same attitude that we had against Texas in 2018, results will be the same. Sugar Bowl will be a good place for many of the talented players wearing the Red and Black to set themselves up for a lot of playing time in 2020.

Just chirping . . . . :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
4 years 3 months ago #80651 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Matt Luke .
Speaking of how the game against Baylor will work out; how will everyone feel if we have several players sit out and a boatload of others who obviously don't want to be there... again.

It angers me to no end that the college football playoffs seem to have exasperated the sit-out situation.

The only answer here and probably the one they wanted all along and knew would happen[/] is for the CFP to be expanded. It's the only way to keep the players from top tier schools who wouldn't make it in to the 4 team format interested.

It's the path I knew we would go down, but in the interim it hurts to see what I saw last year.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #80652 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic Matt Luke .
I support going to an 8 team playoff.

1. The only reason some support the Bowls is because of tradition, and they meant something. That's no longer the case, so why have them? We all agree we like football, so it's irrelevant if that great game is the "Cotton Bowl" or the National Semi-final. It's the game on the field, not the sponsor promoting it.

2. 8 team playoff will make the season MORE important, not less. You will go down to the last weekend of the regular season with probably 10-15 teams with a shot to be in the playoffs. For example, #13 blows out #9 on the road, there's a good chance #13 moves to #6-#8.

3. Conference tittles no longer matter? They would: make it 5 conference champs are seeded 1 - 5, therefore, the top 4 champs get first round at home. Then, to avoid lawsuits just say the highest ranked non power 5 is in, and then the next 2 highest ranked power 5 teams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

• BulldogShannon
  • BulldogShannon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds