Forum

From Athens - Bye week Friday #2

4 years 5 months ago #80264 by yankeedawg1
From Athens - Bye week Friday #2 was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Georgia will join California next week and bring up a state bill to pay college athletes .

This will quickly bring to an end college sports as we have come to know.

Have not heard details on how this is going to work….. I have questions…. Will colleges be able to cut deals with recruits and their agents as to how much

The athletes receive ??? How do smaller schools compete ? Will all D5 schools pay the same amount ? Will there be a rate scale based on how many

Stars a player has from HS ?? Can a player cut equipment endorsement side deals …….?????

Going to be interesting to see how the NCAA will handle this can of worms…. This covers all sports not just football…..

…. Messy disaster waiting to happen……. Stayed tuned….

We are about to undertake a November adventure…. One we hope ends with us playing in the SECCG in December ….

That path is clear …. Win out… truly we are back to playing and winning one game at a time…… nothing new here….

IMHO ….. we play to our standard we will leave JAX with a “W”……..

Another wet weekend in Athens….

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs"

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, Wartdawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #80265 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Bye week Friday #2
The NCAA will soon be an after thought. Personally think that it is past time for the NCAA to be brought down a notch or two. The states that do not fall in line with player pay will have a very difficult time fielding a successful football program. I mention football because that is the Golden Goose of Southeastern Schools predominately. Believe this quickens the pace for the National Championship Title chase being elevated to 8 teams. Basically comes down to a game of poker. There has been a long history of "handshake deals" in college football, this might make what is considered a "no no" once again a common occurrence.

Many avenues this "can and will" lead yankeedawg1. Going to be tough, almost impossible to maintain a "level playing field".

Remember this being discussed on Dawgs.com back in 2009 or so. Kentdaddy was a large part of that conversation.

Good read, thanks for the alert.

EDIT: Failed to mention "SadlerDawg". Very involved in the pay for play thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 5 months ago #80268 by Buc
yankeedawg1, pulled the paragraph below from the BPS.

We are about to undertake a November adventure…. One we hope ends with us playing in the SECCG in December ….

That path is clear …. Win out… truly we are back to playing and winning one game at a time…… nothing new here….

IMHO ….. we play to our standard we will leave JAX with a “W”……..

Comparing our team to those we will face in November, see no reason for us not being able to win out. Just how large is that task? Well, talent wise I don't see another team on the schedule with more or deeper talent than we have in Athens. Enter the game in JAX with most or maybe all of our team fit enough to play. Same can be said for the gators. If the gators win this round in JAX, their future recruiting will be scary. If they lose, gators fans(?) will be looking for the largest rock available to crawl under. That is their MO, has been for a long time and no reason to believe that will change. Going to be a lot of "nasty stuff" occurring on the field, be interesting to see how the referees call the game. mullen will be all over the referees before and during the game, a lesson he learned from urban liar meyer. Also hoping that we don't get a "warning" from the refs about sideline discipline. Referring to Kirby for sure. Young man needs to put some effort into sideline behavior. Probably just me . . . . but we do not need "any" penalties that can be avoided. Should not say this but will . . . . hope Kirby is not faced with an game winning or losing decisions late in the game. Believe he needs to brush up on his game management details.

Would really like to see Charlie Woerner included in the offensive game plan . . . . running pass routes. What the heck, maybe a pass or two in his direction. One can dream . . . . right?

Add this . . . . Looking forward to watching the LSU/Auburn game Saturday. Anyone have thoughts on this game?

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #80269 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic From Athens - Bye week Friday #2
Buc, I was going to respond even before I saw your edit... as you and most of the dawgs.com old timers know (but may or may not agree with) once the pay starts (and is legal), that's it for me... trading and collective bargaining will soon follow, then high school athletes will use the same argument. I realize sometimes you can't stop progress, but I sure don't have to support it.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

More
4 years 5 months ago #80271 by Buc
sadlerdawg, going to be a lot of 18 year olds being pursued by "AGENTS". One big ass mess. Agents will work/use the players against the different colleges that will be lining up for young talent. Going to be a lot more hectic than previous problems with "jersey sales". No way is the NCAA "mentally equipped" to handle this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

More
4 years 5 months ago #80272 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens - Bye week Friday #2
sadler...

Yes, you and me both. College football is my lone holdout for organized sports anymore, with baseball being a very trailing 2nd (haven't watched much this season at all).

The day the pay starts is the day I find something else to do with my Saturdays in the fall. And that will be a terribly sad day for me. As a proud son of the South, I have grown up with college football since I was knee-high to a grasshoppers ass. I have enjoyed every minute of it. I've enjoyed the rivalries, the trash talk, the cultural associations, the competition, the passion, the traditions, the whole ball of wax. But I realize that if I'm being honest, it's coming to an end for me. The government (State or Federal) getting involved and forcing the NCAA to pay these guys is the bridge I will not cross. I agreed with the modest player stipends, since the rules stipulate a student-athlete cannot hold a job down. When I was in college, I had a couple friends of mine on the football team who were on full scholarships as student athletes and I saw how insane the rules were on their inability to make ANY money (I couldn't even buy them a lunch while we studied). That said, we saw how the stipend system got corrupted almost the moment it began (think Brett Bielema).

I think at best we have 5 seasons left before the pay starts.

Another thing that is going to hasten my open Saturdays in the fall is when they eliminate the transfer restrictions, which de facto, they've already begun doing. Once players can become free agents, you'll never have a stable college program again. I side with Kirby 1000% on this issue and its deeply saddening me to see the chipping away at the rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds