Forum

Mark Richt Retires

5 years 3 months ago #79573 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Mark Richt Retires
Richt has always struck me as a smart man as well as a man of opportunity. I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean it in an objective way. He's the type to keep his options - and the doors that lead to them - open.

I think it's a given that he'll do some color analysis and play-by-play at some point, and probably next season. All big name coaches who step away from the game do this. Well okay, maybe not ALL, but most. It serves multiple purposes, including keeping a physical media presence and constant name recognition.

Buc,

In that article, Finebaum insinuates that it was McGarity that fired Richt.

While technically it is factually correct since McGarity is the AD, Finebaum should have just said "when Georgia fired Richt in 2016." It was far greater a force than McGarity just sipping a G&T and drawing his own conclusions as he'd like us to believe it was. That's a crock of BS.

I will go to the hill to do battle that McGarity would have held on to Richt until the bitter end - i.e. the product we saw out of Miami in its bowl game except wearing Georgia red tops and silver britches - had it not been for the fans and the boosters. What sealed Richt's fate was 38,000 to 41,000 in attendance for home games at Sanford and an enraged booster club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #79574 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Mark Richt Retires
If ever the truth was spoken ^ ^ ^ ^

You posted . . . . What sealed Richt's fate was 38,000 to 41,000 in attendance for home games at Sanford and an enraged booster club.

McGarity had some words for the students and their ticke issues, threats tossed their way. Greg McGarity is living off of the "fat of the land".

Enjoying your recollections of what happened leading up to Kirby Smart pulling one foot out of the Gamecock door/vault. Kirby could have named the numbers on his contract in Columbia.

Anyone buying Manny Diaz not already prepped as head coach at the "U" prior to media reports? Guess it matters not, just get a bit raw when the obvious is "messed" with. Think that we will lose a cornerback from the Miami area with the coaching change. Hope not, young man is special to say the least.

Want to add another word here for Coach Coley. Coley is a strong recruiter in the entire State of Florida. Thought he might take a look at the Miami opening, figure now that was "settled" long before the media got wind. Coach Coley is highly respected by many high school coaches. Open doors for Coley at every high school entrance in Florida.Jimbo really wanted Coley. Coley turned down a lot of money to remain in Athens, bet that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #79575 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Mark Richt Retires
Happy new year to all members of the site.

Just chewing the fat...

I was kind of following a Miami forum after mr resigned, wondering who they would hire. First choice would have been urban. It’s crazy what college football has become. Crazy for a guy like mr to make 5mil a year, etc. A “university” like liberty hires Hugh freeze. Fans are so hungry to be champs, it leads to head scratching.

Congrats to uga on a big year. I’ll be honest, very surprised how fast uga has become elite. It’s all dependent on recruiting, and Kirby has been great. I don’t see the dawgs continue winning so much, as other programs get with the process of getting five stars on campus.

Also, Jake Fromm is way better than I thought. Made two five star qbs throw down their marbles and go home. I think he will be a number 10 +/- draft pick when he leaves.

Mel Tucker is going to be missed. Tennessee would have been better off taking him last year. Mel would have been better off not going to Colorada this year. There was a better spot than Colorada for him, imo. GT or Miami just this year so far.

Good luck in the sugar bowl! I was there 42 years ago tomorrow on the 50 yd line. Of course, we were one row from the top...

Edit..go pack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg

More
5 years 3 months ago #79576 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Mark Richt Retires

Buc wrote: Anyone buying Manny Diaz not already prepped as head coach at the "U" prior to media reports? Guess it matters not, just get a bit raw when the obvious is "messed" with. Think that we will lose a cornerback from the Miami area with the coaching change. Hope not, young man is special to say the least.

Considering that Manny had already accepted and was already leaving for Temple, I'd say he may have been prepped in spirit but not in reality.

Buc wrote: Want to add another word here for Coach Coley. Coley is a strong recruiter in the entire State of Florida. Thought he might take a look at the Miami opening, figure now that was "settled" long before the media got wind. Coach Coley is highly respected by many high school coaches. Open doors for Coley at every high school entrance in Florida.Jimbo really wanted Coley. Coley turned down a lot of money to remain in Athens, bet that.

Coach Coley's impact on this program, especially in recruiting, cannot be overstated. He knows Florida like the back of his hand, and has inroads from Jacksonville, down I-4 to Lakeland, on west over to Tampa, down 75 to Ft. Myers, and back across the Sawgrass Expressway to Homestead and Miami. Coley will be the next loss to this program, as he is bucking his heels for an OC job and he damn well deserves it. Coach Dan Lanning is earning his stripes right now. Very impressed.

Side note - was quite disappointed in Mel Tucker not coaching the Sugar Bowl. That's not how business is done. Finish what you start.

More
5 years 3 months ago #79577 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Mark Richt Retires
Amazing thread....... once again the solid information on college

football that is shared on this board... rises to the top...

The two keys that CKS had when he took over at Georgia..

First....learned his coaching and recruiting skills from the best NS

Two...and cannot overstate this when it comes to recruiting...he played solid football for Georgia....knows the history front to back..

Can not only talk the talk but can walk the walk....with a great deal of passion.. for Georgia....

For Kirby it’s more than just a coaching job... like himself his

Assistants seasoned with him will follow his lead about making

Mindful career changes..... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg, growl

More
5 years 3 months ago #79583 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Mark Richt Retires
Someone made the comment that it was all about recruiting, but if that was all it was about then Richt would have had more success while he was here.

Don't get me wrong... recruiting is a huge deal and Kirby is great at it, but it's also about a program's "process". It's about a buy-in and committment from the very top of the organizational chain to the bottom.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds