Forum

Mark Richt Retires

5 years 3 months ago #79567 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Mark Richt Retires
What they did to Faton Bauta was terrible. Don't think I ever defended CMR after that.

Kind of a sad end actually, I thought he would do some damage at the U, but I still wish him the best. I would expect we'll see him on TV. He might be like Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson and figure out how much less pressure there is on the talking heads than the head coach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #79568 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Mark Richt Retires

Wartdawg wrote: I think the stuff with his son Jon played a huge role in his departure. Miami was going to demand Richt make a change there and the money he left on the table wasn't worth it to him compared to having to fire his son. More than just firing his son though, it might also have been the fact that he was having staff decisions made for him. If we look back on his career here the chip on his shoulder grew to boulder size about the time he was forced to fire his buddy Willy Martinez. Facing pressure to make a QB change, I think he purposely threw an unprepared young man into the fire and let him go down in flames just to spite those who dared to force his hand.

^^^ This ^^^

Things in Miami were turning into a Bobby Bowden/Jeff Bowden situation. There was no question that Miami was going to intervene and do something about the staff this offseason. This is the real occupational hazard of nepotism on coaching staffs. It almost always ends in a messy manner. Simply by making the hire, he forced their hand to force his.

Very true about the Martinez situation. I have seen some players tweets about Richt's departure and from my side of the screen, it doesn't look like there's a lot of love loss between the parties. With comments like "I didn't come here for the coach, I came here for the University," that indicates that at least one player isn't crying in his beer, wondering how on earth he'll ever turn into a man.

The bloom was off the rose for a while, and I found it amusing reading the Cane Forums this season and seeing them piss and moan about Richt's stubborn pig-headed coaching style.

Pride goeth before the fall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
5 years 3 months ago #79569 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Mark Richt Retires
With the many channels of communication open to the FAN base, has become increasingly hard for many in the media to "control" said FAN base. Time now to take a hard look at those trying to write the scripts for college football. There are some on this site that took a stance years back and stuck to their beliefs. Mark Richt had a sizeable group in the media that too often overlooked the warts. Smart and Company understand first hand how to "manage" those that have the preferred seats in and around Butts-Mehre.

dawgs_fans_dad posted . . . . What they did to Faton Bauta was terrible. Don't think I ever defended CMR after that.

True that dawgs_fans_dad. Press also had a field day with that decision. Faton made one huge mistake . . . . he was offered a scholarship by the gators, had he taken them up on the offer, his name would still be discussed in a positive way. Faton Bauta had the legs that are now the "wow factor" in the college game. Yes, he could spin the ball also.

One of if not the most glaring area of Mark Richt's "abilities" was the know how to build a team. As head coach Mark Richt could not get both sides of the ball on the same page for any length of time. Say again, talent was not the problem.

Pouty, not talking about Mark Richt's faith, many of us are Christians, we were not pleased with being fed to the lions. Silence can be "golden". Bothers me a bit when the Mark Richt conversations return to "he is a good man". I know a lot of "good men" . . . . they aren't football coaches however. Many Georgia high school players have crossed the Chattahoochee to settle in Tuscaloosa . . . . reason . . . . coaches that coach them up, prepare them "through" winning football activities. Anyone remember Strength and Conditioning Program under Mark Richt in the early part of his hire? Many of us do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg, yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago #79570 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Mark Richt Retires

dawgs_fans_dad wrote: What they did to Faton Bauta was terrible. Don't think I ever defended CMR after that.

It was terrible. I could easily write 4 paragraphs about that situation and that game and how truly wrong it was, but I don't want to pile on. We've talked about it all before. We've moved on.. our program has moved on; and that book is closed.

I wish nothing but the best for Richt. I hope he moves on to a new and more positive chapter in his life, just like we have as fans and as a program.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

More
5 years 3 months ago #79571 by Buc
Or, as Finebaum suggests, he could become an analyst on ESPN or another TV network.

Copied from the article below. That was also mentioned in this thread.

When urban "liar" meyer was treading water between gators and Buckeyes found time to "recover" from his illness on ESPN. ESPN loves getting "inside" information on the SEC . . . . don't they all these days . . . .

www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-footba...rgias-greg-mcgarity/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago #79572 by Buc
Mentioned Strength and Conditioning changes over the years . . . . This group of coaches have meant a lot to the athletes in Athens. Physically and mentally.

www.fieldstforum.com/2018/12/31/uga-foot...-a-mardi-gras-float/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds