Forum

Why our loss may lead to our triumph

5 years 5 months ago #79310 by Wartdawg
Why our loss may lead to our triumph was created by Wartdawg
The LSU loss hurt. We didn't understand how we could be beaten so soundly and we didn't understand why we abandoned what was working; our run game.

I will admit that sometimes I get very frustrated with our OC as he can get off track and not recover, but as with the Auburn game last year I think this loss to LSU has led to changes that will remain. I think since that game we have seen a commitment to sticking with our run game which by the way is better than 'Bama's. While we have been frustrated at moments in short yardage, we have seen a big uptick in explosive plays and that commitment to the run game will be necessary
for us to have a chance against 'Bama.

Better that going off the rails occurred in Baton Rouge than waiting until Atlanta.

On defense the LSU game led to some changes as well. Those changes have mainly been increased playing time for Jordan Davis at NT and Eric Stokes at the 2nd QB spot. Before monster freshman JDavis took over the #1 spot in our NT depth chart, our leading tackler was a safety Richard Lecounte. Too many times were the interior linemen of the opposition getting to the 2nd level and occupying our LB's. Since the insertion of Davis, our leading tackler has been ILB Monty Rice which is exactly as it should be with our 3-4 defense.

In addition to that change, Eric Stokes has also seen increased playing time over Tyson Campbell.
Campbell has been inconsistent and redshirt freshman Stokes has been getting better each week. Campbell allowed several big plays against
LSU and when he was again shaky against Auburn, he was replaced with Stokes and we gave up zero explosive plays.

So folks... LSU was a setback, but it may be the setback that made us better and gives us a chance in Atlanta.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl, dawgs_fans_dad, SimpleDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Wartdawg
  • Wartdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 5 months ago #79313 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Why our loss may lead to our triumph
Posts like this keep me coming back. Great stuff, Wartdawg! And Buc and yankeedawg1, and all the rest of y'all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
5 years 5 months ago #79314 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Why our loss may lead to our triumph
Wartdawg, want to throw this against the wall, an opinion . . . .

Read the article below, did not really see any specific suggestions . . . . Allow me this . . . . when we are deep inside the red zone I suggest that the offensive linemen take wider splits/gaps. If for example Justin was taking the snap, even Jake, over the years seen this work for the offense. Definitely makes the linebackers adjust. Just asking . . . . anyone? Agree/Disagree? Help Coach Chaney/Coley out. :)

www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-playe...PMMl95xbh8aA1vdjGTP/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

More
5 years 5 months ago #79315 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Why our loss may lead to our triumph
I definitely think it couldnt hurt,and gives the back more options, also defense has to think about it before committing. Just enough time to keep from getting tied up inside.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!! GATA!

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
5 years 5 months ago #79316 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Why our loss may lead to our triumph
Part play calling ...part execution...

Now it’s become mental....... and defenses completely play run stop

So....yes..... time to look at changing our “goal line “ look on offense

Takes big stones to throw a 3 - 2. change up to the cleanup hitter

With the bases loaded....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
5 years 5 months ago #79319 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Why our loss may lead to our triumph

Buc wrote: Wartdawg, want to throw this against the wall, an opinion . . . .

Read the article below, did not really see any specific suggestions . . . . Allow me this . . . . when we are deep inside the red zone I suggest that the offensive linemen take wider splits/gaps. If for example Justin was taking the snap, even Jake, over the years seen this work for the offense. Definitely makes the linebackers adjust. Just asking . . . . anyone? Agree/Disagree? Help Coach Chaney/Coley out. :)

www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-playe...PMMl95xbh8aA1vdjGTP/

Well if you go back and look at some of the runs that have failed down there you will see that there often was no lane between our own linemen. We've been lining up counting on nothing but push.

Wider gaps between the linemen are something a lot of really strong run teams do, but those gaps also give the DL a chance to shoot through. So because of that you can't just widen the spacing and then still block the exact same way.

I think it is absolutely something we should try, but it would require a little bit of different blocking technique. I would also like to see us try it while utilizing a fullback to block down on the DL that is going to shoot that gap you want to run in. I would also like if Fromm is in there to see him under center with the TB in closer. Some of those failed dive/slam runs have taken relatively forever for the back to reach the line. The scheme's we run sometimes leave an end unblocked and we've repeatedly seen that player crash down the line and get to the back before he hits the hole. That just can not happen. Leaving the end unblocked is fine because it gives you a man advantage where you want to run, but you've got to hit that hole before the free-runner crashes on you laterally.

So yeah... with the blocking executed properly widening the gaps could help. We could also tweak what we have been doing.

What we can't do is keep doing the same thing. It's become stale and predictable... easy to diagnose.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

• Wartdawg
  • Wartdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds