Forum

From Athens- Game Day Friday #10 10-11-18

5 years 4 months ago #79296 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday #10 10-11-18
As most on here know, I thought richt should have been replaced for many years before he was and I never bought into the "good man" argument... so just for fun. the last year and a half I'll periodically go to different UM message boards, and it's hysterical how many of their rants start out with, "now I know why UGA got rid of him "... followed by words like stubborn, proud, the game has passed him by, and being a good man has nothing to do with being a football coach.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #79298 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens- Game Day Friday #10 10-11-18
I don't wish bad things for Coach Richt. He was probably the right guy at the time for us.

Now for what I think are some truth bombs..

It was on us for not recognizing when that time was up. We waited way too long and did ourselves AND MR no favors.

Why no favors for MR? Because during that time he came to think he was beyond reproach. He was allowed to continue without serious reprimand or repercussions for bad decisions. That led to him becoming stubborn... he knew what was right all the time because he never faced consequences when he was wrong. He became the Czar.. the beginnings of nepotism.. hiring friends and family were seeded during this time, and it was allowed to continue.

Then after we finally made a change, the old Alma Mater came calling, and they didn't want Richt to change either. They wanted him to do for the U what Richt had done for UGA from 2000-2005. Thing is though and this is where the truth really hits home. it's a truth Miami didn't know. That truth is that as much as Richt elevated UGA... UGA elevated Mark Richt. We propped him up for many years. He won early with Jim Donnan's players and benefitted greatly from a changing CFB atmosphere thereafter That's a subject for a different time as it is a volumous discussion; what happened with CFB in early 2000's. Suffice it to say that a great university and an image blasted non stop by the media kept him at the helm long past what was warranted by results.

So back on staying too long and thinking he was beyond reproach; he walked into Miami with the all the bad baggage he had become attached to while at UGA. They asked for nothing different.. they were desperate for a name associated with the school and there he was.

He's finding out however that they have a different manner down in South Florida. Back in the 90's these were the folk willing to do anything to win and that beast has had enough of losing. They don't care quite so much about a nice guy image as we here in the genteel real south seemed to care about for so many years.

I hope for the best for MR, but a lot of this is his own doing so it's hard for me to feel like he's received a bad deal. It is what it is at this point and unless he is willing to make real change, his days as a power 5 coach are
drawing nigh to a close.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
5 years 4 months ago #79300 by Buc
Wartdawg, spot on . . . . would carry it at least one step further . . . . Same policy and politics were afforded VD. Could substitute VD's name in every sentence mentioned above. Difference between VD and MR . . . . VD had a plan and the backing needed to remain involved in UGA Athletics. Say again, check VD's record as Athletic Director.

Those that have spewed garbage language at Nick Saban should be patting him on the back. Head Coach Kirby Smart would not be in Athens accomplishing much of what he has accomplished had he not spent time under a real head football coach. University of Georgia Athletic Department has always, at least up until now been handled on Mahogany Row. FACT.

Say one more time . . . . VD did not want Erk to become head coach . . . . reason . . . . easy enough for those that really understand the game to put two and two together. When Butts left Athens, tough, physical football left with him. Returned when Kirby Smart returned to the Classic City, armed with "FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE".

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #79301 by Buc
I believe in fairness and the truth. At that time, 1964, I had returned from the Far East. Several of my friends and high school teammates had gone on to several different colleges. Left the USA during the Butts era, returned prior to Dooley being appointed head coach. We played in the Sun Bowl that year and many Georgia FANS became very excited. To me Vince Dooley was a lot like Mark Richt when comparing. Both began head coaching careers and made the most of it. Truth be told, both (in my opinion) became a bit full of themselves and our program did not reach the heights overall that it should have with the talent that represented Georgia. Anyway, I am one that believes the Red and Black are on a path that (we) have not traveled before.

Go Dawgs . . . . Coach'em Up!

vimeo.com/107422071

More
5 years 4 months ago #79306 by Buc

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #79307 by Buc
One thing about Smart's coaching that I like is he means what he says about practice during the week, play on Saturdays. Have seen several cases of this in the 2018 Season. Watched many games prior to Smart and Company and the system was much different. Players sat and "waited" until either graduation or an injury became the deciding factor.

I know this . . . . there are a lot of young men hustling their butts off during the week and being rewarded for doing so. That is "coaching".

Has been mentioned often by beat writers that Kirby is stubborn. Yep, I buy into that and appreciate the "type" of stubborn that Kirby exhibits. Went through the other "type" of stubborn for many years and witnessing it now in the "U" program.

Not writing 2018 off by any measure, but . . . . 2019 I believe will put us over the top. Already looking forward to ND's visit to Georgia. That will be one game the media will be all over. Kirby is building his two and three deep depth chart "everyday". No grass grows under his feet, active coach that understands the game.

:)

More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds