Forum

From Athens-Friday Thoughts- July 7th

6 years 9 months ago #76611 by yankeedawg1
From Athens-Friday Thoughts- July 7th was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Thursday night was awesome night in the Classic City. Enjoyable supper on the patio at one of my favorite Athens restaurants....

"Just Pho" on Baxter Street near St.Mary's

Will yield to those having more experience....but here in July already a healthy buzz about recruiting

For both 18 & 19.... across many positions on both sides of the ball.... yes we have always had

Our share of quality athletes.. issues with coaching..... however....imho we getting looks from

Type players who would immediately look past Georgia.... as been pointed out we have

Several highly respected assistants who can recruit.....very effectively.....a very good thing for our future... Head Coach isn't so bad himself.....

While we may have quality players in the past.....imho ....the difference now is depth....depth spread over several years...

Not all upperclassmen....growing experience with young pups....adding new skill players each recruiting cycle...

Selective rather shotgun recruiting will pay benefits very shortly.

Eight Saturday's to go until kickoff....itchy

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always "Go Dawgs " !!!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
6 years 9 months ago #76612 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts- July 7th
2017 Schedule . . . .

9/02 Appalachian State
6:15P
09/09 @ Notre Dame
7:30P
09/16 Samford
TBD
09/23 Mississippi State
TBD
09/30 @ Tennessee
TBD
10/07 @ Vanderbilt
TBD
10/14 Missouri
TBD
10/28 @ Florida
3:30P
11/04 South Carolina
TBD
11/11 @ Auburn
TBD
11/18 Kentucky
TBD
11/25 @ Georgia Tech
TBD

Any members willing to step out, wins/losses? I will go in this direction . . . . Not a reason to lose one(1) game when I look at our talent and playing time. Not to dodge the question . . . . gators bother me more than others on the schedule. Read where many feel Auburn is the largest hurdle on other boards. Might be. If I believe that the gators and Auburn win, guess that shows some improvement in Kirby and Companys' second year coaching. This old dawg does not accept that. Time has come from more output than "three yards and a cloud of dust". Sincerely hope that phrase under VD remains in the "past".

yd1 you said . . . .

While we may have quality players in the past.....imho ....the difference now is depth....depth spread over several years...

yd1, with "depth" still comes down to coaching. I agree with you that the current group of athletes are very good, still hold to my thoughts of just how far we have come understanding "DEPTH". I sincerely hope we have moved forward, still cannot say that with the losses I watched from the "coaching staff" in 2016. Not trying to be ugly, just reflecting on what I "think" I saw.

This board was "heavy" on the upside when discussing UGA Football. Meaning . . . . Offensive lines and Depth. Many other blogs were still hitching their wagons to running backs and what they called "skilled athletes". Single biggest drawback about UGA Football, my opinion, coaching. Build the two(2) front lines and much will change. I believe that is understood in Athens, I certainly hope so. Time is valuable,not everyone is under 50 years of age.

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #76613 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts- July 7th
gators are over rated. I said the same thing about the Vols last year and got lucky and was right. Just don't see the gators being all that this year. Lost a lot of Muschamps D players last year and the D is under a total rebuild. Offense is just not there yet.

Aubuurn matches up with us talent wise and on paper. Can see that as a loss and the ONLY loss this year. 11-1 and playing in the ATL in Dec. and at the minimum a New years Six bowl. Maybe I am setting my sights too high but with the on board talent, best running back duo in the country, 2nd year gunslinger at QB, and a top rated and talented D front 7 and new players on board, all the pieces are there.

IF and that is a big IF the right players are on the OL this could be a big year for the Dawgs. Right now IMHO the right players are not in the right places if you go by G Day and what Kirby has stated in the press. Tackles need to be tackles and guards need to be guards and that has yet to happen. Maybe it will and if it does 11-1 is not so far fetched, but if it does not then we will end up at 9-3 with the annual face plant and loss to an inferior team by doing something stoopid. Kind of hedging on how many wins Buc but the right choices have to be made by the HC, and I say HC because he is 100% in charge of who starts and who does not.

Anything less than a New Years Six bowl is failure with this much talent in Athens.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl

More
6 years 9 months ago #76614 by DAWGtm
Replied by DAWGtm on topic From Athens-Friday Thoughts- July 7th
Could we make a run? Sure. Will we? I would hate to make a call right now. If we handle App state like we should by dominating on both sides of the ball 40+ to 00. and then a win@ ND To build confidence. I think we could go 11-1. We need to shake the gators off our back and I don't like playing in the sandbox weird things happen there. I still think we have way to many variables to be totally confident is saying we will be in ATL at the end of the year. I would be totally disappointed but I could see us going 9-3 during the season and pick up a 10th win in a mean nothing bowl to keep the row happy with the same old line we get wait till next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #76615 by Buc
Good read DAWGtm. Makes a lot of sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

More
6 years 9 months ago #76616 by Buc

DAWGtm wrote: Could we make a run? Sure. Will we? I would hate to make a call right now. If we handle App state like we should by dominating on both sides of the ball 40+ to 00. and then a win@ ND To build confidence. I think we could go 11-1. We need to shake the gators off our back and I don't like playing in the sandbox weird things happen there. I still think we have way to many variables to be totally confident is saying we will be in ATL at the end of the year. I would be totally disappointed but I could see us going 9-3 during the season and pick up a 10th win in a mean nothing bowl to keep the row happy with the same old line we get wait till next year.

DAWGtm, read your post again. One point I believe "has to be made" . . . . Notre Dame, National TV, sincerely believe this game either makes us or breaks us. Kelly's job is on the line. If the players want the coaching staff to remain the same, they must win.

If Kirby Smart does not get this group of "talent" together, pushing aside the fact this is a "road game", it is not a routine Saturday road game. Notre Dame does not have the talent that Georgia has, nor the depth. Guess it comes back to "coaching".

I firmly believe that a loss to Notre Dame keeps Georgia out of any substantial bowl game. I have been wrong many times. I hope UGA comes away with what I believe to be a "crucial victory" for our program, it starts with a win in South Bend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds