Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 1 month ago #76349 by yankeedawg1
From Athens - Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Not a surprise we have had our first weed bust of the year. It will cost him sitting out a game…… interesting that during his arrest Ridley comment that his actions would have an effect on his NFL draft status.

Maybe some good will come of his youthful actions….

On a more positive note…. Word from several players and reporters about how well Trent looks and is doing…. He is back in Athens working on rehab for his shoulder surgery….. which would have held him out of spring practice before his other health issue developed… it was also noted that he is gaining weight…. All good to hear…. The NCAA is being asked to grant a waiver to allow him to sit in on team meetings during spring practice….. we have all had setbacks and it is good to see Trent is working his way through his challenges….. it appears that his has a very good support group helping him… IMHO…. Trent has taken steps to move forward with his life….. a very good thing……

Crystal ball predictions are the click baits for many sites and media reporters….. win=losses…. Starting positions… ya da ya da…. Searching for anything to write about…..

It will soon play itself out…. as NC Dawg says….. yawn…. Double..yawn..

Let us hope and pray spring break doesn’t bite our football team and we can roll into practice without any further player issues…

Winter paid a visit to the Classis City….. hard freeze with temps in low 20’s…… players loving IPF for workouts….thanks again CJP…

Pause and give thanks

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs “

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #76350 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Lots of football talk about "punting" in the SEC over a long period on Dawgs.com.

Copied this from Bulldog Illustrated . . . .

While kicking could have used improvement, it was punting that hurt Georgia the most on special teams. The Bulldogs were just not able to flip the field. Marshall Long was the punter for Georgia’s first 9 games until going down with a dislocated knee cap. Out of 49 punts, he averaged only 38.71 yards. After Brice Ramsey came in for the injured Long, fans were hoping for some improvement, but we quickly learned why Long had been able to win the job. Ramsey struggled even more so, only averaging 34.65 yards on 20 punts. Georgia as a team averaged only 37.54 yards per punt which were 121st out of 128 teams nationally. You might need to go take a shower after reading that one.

Mention was also made on this board that there were some problems "within" the coaching staff prior to the release of Coach Rocker. Some of what happened is in the AJC, nothing complete. The only way that Coach Rocker was released is because Coach Smart was the final say, not Greg McGarity.

www.dawgnation.com/football/documents-uga-fired-tracy-rocker

Now there is this . . . .
www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/ge...inor-ncaa-violations
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 1 month ago #76351 by Buc
Change was not only needed in the Classic City, it arrived when a "serious head coach" was hired. Care less what anyone has to say about football in Athens, if they are taking the "low road".

Say again, and again . . . . Head Coach Kirby Smart was "one step" away from coaching the Gamecocks. Not talked about that much in the media, known fact that "former players wearing the Red and Black" jumped ship, not only expressed to the "higher ups" in Athens that the BS had to stop . . . . not next season, now.

ogredawg and myself are on the same page with the hiring of Kirby Smart. We have to line and beat or at least "be in the game" against anyone on our schedule.

From where I sit . . . . Coach Smart let one and all know that there is a job to be done . . . . meaning as a position coach or someone sitting in the area of Mahogany Row. Football had to change "direction" in Athens. That is now happening. This will not be the last coach to leave if I believe what I hear from some close to me.

I have received many emails and been involved with folks close to me that are deeply involved in both college and professional football that are saying this . . . . too long in coming.

Notre Dame on the road will be the early "test". Could be the end of their head coach. If AM had the support needed in Atlanta against Alabama, we would have had another National Championship. Support needed? Coaching sucked at a critical time. As my friends say to me, it was time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 1 month ago #76352 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Coach Rock....could coach and teach....weaknesses was recruiting......

My thoughts..... not that he missed out on last two recruiting cycle with two top in state players

But his recruiting efforts were not up to HC's expectations.... Rock didn't what to be a salesman...

NFL. will be calling before long.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 1 month ago #76353 by Buc
Too often success is pinned on a coach that recruits a highly sought after player and gets the young man to sign the LOI. Many times after winning the recruiting battle for a single individual, not a lot is accomplished after that.

Looking at the road Coach McGee has traveled since being hired by Coach Smart, damn impressive. Great hire in my way of thinking along the lines of coaching and recruiting areas.

Most or many of us know that grantham was a "desk jockey". Looking at high school and junior college coaches that make their way to the upper echelon understand the need for hard work. It is tough living out of a bag, so to speak, most peddlers will agree to that statement.

Not a doubt in my mind that Rocker and grantham understand x's and o's, more to college football at the highest level than showing ones NFL pedigree card.

Soon after the hiring of Kirby Smart the "other side" were quick to bring up the subject of running a clean program. Mark Richt's name was attached to the word clean. Even so, Richt had some problems with the NCAA while running a "clean program". Think that Coach Smart just put solid emphasis on the fact that running a clean program will be the face of the Georgia Football Program as long as he is the leader.

Excites me to see Kirby hiring men like Dell McGee and others to join him in the Classic City. May never win another National Championship, would bet this . . . . Teams that face UGA from this day forward are going to know that there will be a "turf war" when playing the Red and Black.

One more hire that I have expressed agreement with . . . . Coach James Coley. A much needed coach that has his footprints all over South Florida. Great hire, not sure how long Coach Coley will remain in Athens, hoping for a long time. There are some of us that would love to see Coach Coley as the "next" offensive coordinator in Athens. He is much more than a receiver coach, although the receivers are fixing to blossom under Coach Coley. Bet that, take it to the bank. Yes, he recruits, recruits an area of Florida that produces excellent high school football talent. Actually recruits the entire State of Florida, much needed and recognized by Head Coach Kirby Smart.

McGee and Coley, great hires. Next year or two will prove their hiring was an A+.

Spring, time for the sound of pads during contact. Going to be a lot of that, Smart and Company require effort . . . . relates to what Coach Pruitt said while in Athens . . . . Practice during the week gains playing time on Saturdays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 1 month ago #76354 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Buc....amazing that CJP in his short time in Athens was able to have such a high impact on

Our football program....both on and off the field.....agree that HC has many of the same qualities

Me thinks that CNS just may have something to do with that

My favorite....." you don't get what you want in life.....you get what you earn "......truth..

Go Dawgs.....

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds