Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 2 months ago #76262 by yankeedawg1
From Athens - Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Sadly we say good bye to a DGD…Quentin Moses was a prime example of giving back….. in many ways. His life was an endorsement of what’s right with college sports.

Thoughts and prayers to his family…..

I am sure you have seen video and pictures of our new IPF.. Awesome……

We took a big step and catching up to having the world class football facility we have been lacking for too long…

Back this up with a major player improvement to Sanford…

Grumbling about not enough to enrich the fan experience..

IMHO….. fans would be happy with a string of SECC and an appearance in the CFP’s…. that would be a real enrichment… we have been waiting for too long.

I do not think the bathroom improvements fall under fan enrichment…more like a necessary stadium feature.

Mixed in the haze of the IPF dedication at his news conference our HC outlined what his process is to catch us up to the rest of the leaders in college football.

He stated his focus on recruiting and keeping our state’s best players staying home and playing for Georgia…

This past week’s meeting of the Touchdown Club of Macon HC called out and acknowledged the smaller crowd from last year… didn’t mince words about how it reflected the 8-5 record… no coach speak…. Like it…

He restated his commitment to our program and moving it forward…..

Going to be a busy spring and summer….. new faces and veterans trying to move us to getting better….

Me thinks we will see a much different level of player leadership than we have in recent years…

Have a core group that understand what the SEC is about.. they are no longer the wide end awe struck pups.. Business to be taken care of…

Pause and give thanks

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always…… “Go Dawgs”

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago #76263 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
yankeedawg1, looking over the players that have chosen UGA since Smart and Company took over the "business" of football, impressive to say the least.

2016 was a fast and furious time on the coaching staff to produce. They did.

2017 the coaches had the time needed to do a bit of picking and choosing. Most agree that the 2017 players fit solidly into the 3rd best class in D1 football.

2018 will be an interesting year for several reasons. The players in Athens will as you mentioned above have the Summer then Spring and Fall to get ready for SEC play. This will give our coaching staff a much clearer picture as to the needs for the Class of 2018. No doubt there will be some that won't reach the heights that maybe the staff thought they would. Other side of that coin, there will be some that will do much more than the staff thought possible.

If Jason Eason moves into his sophomore year pulling from the experience gained in 2016, takes another step forward, much will be written about UGA Football in 2017.

I am still one that wants to know more about our kicking/punting efforts. Kirby Smart has definitely let "all" know that competition will be watched closely through the Summer, Spring and Fall. Competition was a word that has been missing in Athens for far too long. Winning the field position game is the name of the game in the SEC.

Good read Sir . . . . You are also right about Kirby Smart wanting to catch "us" up with the rest of the big names in college football.

Coaching staff has a lot on their plates entering 2017.

Go Dawgs :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76264 by Buc
Easy to mention Northside pissers . . . . Thanks again Bill King and I see improvements, but not to the pissers. Then I take a look at the salaries below. Someone explain to me what Greg McGarity has done since his "return" to Athens. gators knew that Foley was a "short timer", and did not hold McGarity over, that includes Foley. Many in the State of Florida know the answer(s) to that.

FANS, GEORGIA FANS, stop, look and listen.

These are 2013 numbers.

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/20...methodology/1968783/

More
7 years 2 months ago #76265 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Unlike previous HC our current HC has a clear understanding of the value of a good kicking game

It can be both a offense and defensive advantage...

Me thinks this will be an area that will show major improvements..,,,

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago #76266 by Buc
Have to say this . . . .

Alabama football turned around and became "all that" when Bear Bryant arrived in Tuscaloosa.

Football in Alabama went to hell when the Bear was no longer in charge.

Alabama football turned around and became the "all that" when Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa.

Football had gone to hell before Nick Saban arrived.

If any of us understand how and why Alabama football is so successful, easy to answer that . . . . Nick Saban.

University of Georgia has had too many hands involved in UGA Football. Those hands make a lot of money, depend on the Public Relations Group to "smooth 'stuff' out". Meaning make it acceptable to the FANS.

Again . . . . Why is Greg McGarity's yearly wage, along with I believe "considerations" to the half million that push that number further out?

I hope that Head Coach Kirby Smart in on the side of the FANS. If not, there are some that are watching closely.

Ever wonder what would happen if a Saturday game between, (choose a team) Georgia and Auburn and Sanford Stadium was "empty"? Think that might get Mahogany Row's attention? Am I bitter, could be. Are you when you look at UGA Football?

McGarity, you were given the opportunity to drop your "elite BS", you chose to do the same thing that did not require you remaining in Gainesville, Florida. Yes, there is more.

More
7 years 2 months ago #76267 by Buc

yankeedawg1 wrote: Unlike previous HC our current HC has a clear understanding of the value of a good kicking game

It can be both a offense and defensive advantage...

Me thinks this will be an area that will show major improvements..,,,

yd1, not sure it can get worse . . . . By that I mean this . . . . we have not reached the heights that will allow us to reach "Final Four" participation.

Totally agree that the time had come to make changes, still some changes that need to be made.

I used to throw up in my bowl of Cherrios when I would read where Mark Richt was going to get involved in the kicking game. Another time he was going to get involved in the Special Teams coverage.

Not unlike McGarity, Richt took the FANS money.

Kirby, do not allow this to continue.

More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds