Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 2 months ago #76160 by yankeedawg1
From Athens - Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Day All,

I have been enjoying the thoughts of the Falcons heading to the Super Bowl….

Several of my morning coffee meeting friends started advancing the idea that we need to be more like the Falcon’s rather than

Alabama.

The HC of the Falcon’s was able to get to the NFL championship game in just two years. Also he did it with only two years head coaching experience … I am not counting his brief stint as an associate HC…..

We know that CNS had head coaching experience before leading the Tide to his first NC with the Tide in his third year in Tuscaloosa…. this also means CNS was able to recruit and coach the players he wanted for his process ….. need those horses…..hmmm

It was also remarked that CDQ proved to those who questioned us hiring a HC with no experience that it’s more about the man and his ideas for a successful program……

A new hire is a challenge….in any profession…. You do your research..but it comes with risk that only time passing can resolve…..

I know this…. There is more interest about our NSD day next week than any other time in the past 14 years….. new shuttle bus service to the BM building and expanded area for the Blind Pig….. awesome…

Feel some more areas of need will be filled when all the dust settles …

Pause and give thanks…

Expect to hear major improvements forthcoming for our Vets from our new CIC…. Long overdue…..

Have a safe weekend and a great week

As always….. Go Dawgs….

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76161 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
yankeedawg1, there is no doubt that Kirby intends to have solid competition at every position, still believe we are one year away from making "many statements" . . . . both pro and con. This week another kicker enters into the picture. Reading other sites it is apparent that Smart wants the football in or out of the end zone on kickoffs. Does away with returns that have caused our Special Teams problems. Has been mentioned often that the SEC requires winning football teams to have strong punting/kicking Special Teams.

Smart must feel that his defense is good enough to make it tough for most teams to drive the length of the field. Defense with the possibility of added help from incoming players could very well be our strong suit in 2017. More likely than not.

Back to kickoffs . . . . Watching the video below, some time with (Coach? Butler) ;) :whistle: . . . . Time in the S&C area of the new “Indoor Practice Facility”, will be interesting to watch a walk on high school kicker/punter develop. That statement also is intended for the kickers/punters already in Athens. Say again, competition has long been needed in Athens at many positions, my opinion . . . . and many others on many sites.

As much as I dislike saying this again . . . . College football is a "business".

www.hudl.com/video/3/3221993/57d5e73b0aff7bc25814aa04
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 2 months ago #76162 by Buc
There are a lot of young men wearing the Red and Black that did not get a lot of playing time in 2016. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for some of these young pups to make that "next step" in college. Will not be surprised to see some names gaining a lot of playing time in 2017.

Glad to see some of our upper classmen return for the 2017 Season. Have the feeling that they want to be a part of something "good". 2016 was not "good". Falls under the word leadership. Spring football is going to be much different than it was in many previous years.

Anyone on this board willing to say that they were on board with the Atlanta Falcons at the end of last season? Anyone willing to say that they wanted the second year head coach to remain in Atlanta? Read what you said in the BPS yd1 . . . . soon enough we will hear from those that understand the "problems" with UGA Football.

One of my major concerns with the group coming in for their first year in 2017 is hoping that not "too many" will be wearing the "BMOC" tag. Will happen, always has, or for many years some of the BMOC "stuff" was "allowed".

My hope is that BMOC is not allowed under this group of coaches. At this point, cannot see Smart and Company allowing that. Those that remain close enough to college football understand that attitudes can and often are not a winning formula.

Say again . . . . really liked having Coach Jeremy Pruitt in Athens for a short time. He is responsible for a lot of positive changes in our football program. My opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76163 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Good read Buc.... remember CKS stating shortly after his arrival..

We want to teach our players to be comfortable being uncomfortable....

Open competition tends to keep the slack out of the chain....

Bet we see more changes in year two than year one....experience tends to make that happen...

Go Dawgs.....

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, growl

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago #76164 by Buc
yankeedawg1, you also said . . . .

I know this…. There is more interest about our NSD day next week than any other time in the past 14 years….. new shuttle bus service to the BM building and expanded area for the Blind Pig….. awesome…

Spot on.

Couple of last minute changes, both for and against, I suspect.

Feel good knowing that the entire group of coaches are working hard on the 2018 players. Kirby reminds me of someone in Washington that hit the ground running.

Another thing that I like about this group of players (2017), they come from all areas of the State of Georgia. That will prove to be a serious "upside" to our program in the coming years. Couple of doors that had been "shut" are now opened again. Thanks to Coach Dell McGee and others. For a while under the previous coaching staff, Columbus, Georgia and that area had been written off. Became a serious recruiting bed for Auburn. Auburn had always pulled from that area, but the lack of attention being paid to Columbus was a huge mistake. Some remember that the game between Georgia and Auburn was played in Columbus.

Pressure now will heighten on Smart and Company to rise quickly. Still those out there that hated to see Richt replaced. Here is hoping that the current staff can and will get the attention of the incoming freshmen . . . . I suspect they will. No room otherwise if looking to move up the ladder.

Go Dawgs, LOI Day will be all over the media and every site that covers the Red and Black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
7 years 2 months ago #76165 by Buc
The beat continues . . . . Kirby understands how to "work the numbers" . . . . refreshing.

www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/c...ent-kolby-wyatt#free
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.028 seconds