Forum

From Athens - Friday Thoughts

7 years 2 months ago #76128 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
All coaches do miss players.... and then there are some who did it repeatedly...

Let's look at some history...

Cam Newton... wanted to turn him into a TE...
Nick Marshall... wanted to turn him into a DB..

Both ended up having the last laugh on UGA.

Enter Watson and we show up late to the party and dragging the luggage of the last two mobile QB's we "recruited". No chance

I see it was mentioned "maybe Bama missed CKS coaching the D"..

Don't kid yourself. Watson shredded CKS' defense worse than he did CJP's.

That game was about some other things, a transcendent QB talent wanting it badly and a team wanting it more than the other. It was about freshman leadership vs veteran leadership. It was about a new OC abandoning the run game.

It wasn't about CJP's defense vs CKS.

I hope we've learned. I hope we are willing to let the best man QB our team next year. I hope we are willing to let every position be a dogfight and I hope we are willing to adjust what we do to our talent.

Honestly... if we are intellectually honest and take off our hope and change homer glasses; it's not a given we will.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #76132 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Lot of things come into play, especially when a second NC GAME has the same two teams facing off.

One thing to study tape against an opponent that you have not faced, another when you have lined up and played in the dirt against the same team with many of the same players on both sides returning.

Simple fact . . . . Both Pruitt and Smart are very good at several aspects of college football. Both are good defensive minds. Both are excellent recruiters. Both demand much from the players on their teams. Players seem to think their coach is above average.

Two really good teams met in the NC GAME. Both have good defenses, both have good offenses.

2017 will be worth watching the fortunes of both Alabama and Clemson. Rebuild? Reload?

As far as Georgia is concerned, second year under a new coach tends to get closer to the truth. Some have expressed their feelings about our head coach, rather quickly I thought, especially when looking at our offensive line in 2016. Say again, young men gave all they had, now we get to look a bit closer at second year Coach Sam Pittman. Thus far Pittman is being commented on for his work elsewhere. He has lived up to some of the comments about the players he recruits play hard every game. Could not always say that in 2016. Comes back to new coaches with many or most of the players they have wanted for their style of play, second year does have a chance to pack a punch.

Spring practice will get a lot of attention focused on details. Fall will be a time to hone the skills learned in the Spring.

More
7 years 2 months ago #76133 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Good read Buc.... let me rephrase my bps comment on the Tide missing CKS on defense..

It dovetails with your thoughts about playing the same team twice in a year....

Actually my reference to the Tide missing CKS was just not for the NCG but not having him for the

Previous games during the season.....as it was CJP first season getting to learn first hand his players and readjusting to CNS and the Bama way...

Learning curve may have been shallow however it was still present... Clemson ....a very good

Team....taking nothing away from their victory.... as you correctly stated both excellent coaches and

Recruiters...... Kirby has a slight advantage in his home state.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 2 months ago #76134 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
I have to be honest YD and say I still don't know
what your point is about them missing CKS.

It was about not having him for the games earlier this season?

They were the 2nd ranked D in the nation. CJP stepped right in. I love CKS, but 'Bama didn't miss a beat without him so I am not sure what you're saying.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 2 months ago #76135 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens - Friday Thoughts
Wart.... it is a very fine hair we are trying to split....yes I was speaking to the entire season and

The aspect on while it may have been the slightest change and seemingly not noticeable

And while statistics show that the defense was not subpar...... and..... many other factor come

Into play... CKS was part of winning a NC and sadly for me CJP wasn't... over Clemson..I truly

wanted it For hm........same for changing their OC....

It is what it is..... Bama will be a contender this fall.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds