Forum

Culture Transformation: Compliance vs. Commitment

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #74053 by SouthernDawg
Finally getting a chance to listen to Kirby's presser and he said something that jumped out at me when discussing how he's in the process of installing "the process" at UGA. He is preaching it loud and proud that the culture of UGA is changing. I picked out the highlights from the presser.

His statements are telling.

...on the goals of fall camp:

"The goals and objectives a preseason camp are to establish the identity of your team and we've preached really hard to our players what that identity is: being a big, physical football team - a downhill football team. Playing with toughness and relentless effort. Those are the things that we want to establish in camp and that's what is important to me. Your ability to sustain that effort after camp comes from your endurance and your conditioning level and your ability to push through..."

...on how it appears that much of "the process" at Alabama has been brought to Georgia vs. how things we done in the past at camp:

"You ask the question how much of what was done before at Georgia was kept and I don't know that. You know, I mean, I didn't go back and look at it and research it and see what they did last year and the year before that to see how many practices they had, what time they practiced, what time they met. That's really not important. For me, we met as a staff, we met with both coordinators, and we came up with the best practice organization for us. It's not an exact footprint of what was done for the last nine years at Alabama but it's pretty close."

...on finding leaders:

"There's gonna be guys who get promoted and guys who get demoted. Guys are gonna have good days and bad days, good practices and bad practices. How they respond to adversity is gonna to tell me a lot about them. Not only that but there will be guys who have a good scrimmage, but, how are they gonna scrimmage the second time? Because at the end of the day, they're gonna be hot and cold, bought and sold, how are those guys gonna respond? It's important that we find out and establish those things in camp. It's about fundamentals: running the ball, catching the ball, tackling, securing the ball, taking away the ball on defense.. all those things..that's what we're targeting and that's what we want to do."

...on assessing the state of the Georgia program at preseason camp vs. the G day game:

"Well I know that the players are more willing to push through the pain and uh, toughness, to lift more weight. There's a theory out there that it hurts to push a little more, to lift a little more, and I think that our guys have shown that from spring through the summer that they're more willing to do that. They're willing to get under a bar that has more weight on it, to lift a bar that has more weight on it. Not only that they're capable, but that they're more willing and I think that's really important. There's a difference in complaint and committed. To me, compliant is just doing what's asked. Committed is doing whatever it takes. I think that's where our kids are going - I don't know that they're fully there yet - but they are much past compliant on the way to committed on the continuum right now."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #74058 by Buc
SouthernDawg, know that you are a busy person. Dawgs.com is much better off when you "find the time" to post.

There are still some folks "out there" that I know are reading, not posting. First stringers for a long time, and really understand the game, especially the "Georgia Game".

Twenty-nine days, but there will be a lot of football than can be discussed before the opening kickoff.

Game against UNC will be a rocking opener. See where UNC is rated as the 20th best on early polls, UGA 16th. Lot of good players and coaches on both teams. Standing room only, for sure.

SouthernDawg, checking the "U" out on occasion? Mark Richt has done a 180 degree turn from Athens to Miami. Who knows, as has been said on this board, maybe he learned some things from the many hires he made in Athens. That is not meant to be ugly, it is nothing more than observing. Richt is working hard to get many of the "old timers" to help him with the program. You and I both know the "talent" that South Florida has, year after year. Richt can not "build a fence" around Florida as Smart and Company are trying to accomplish in the State of Georgia.

Bouncing around, that however is my nature. I like to know what is going on around us. Have not and will not be one of the AJC types for years that said "wait until next year". Wait for what? Did that for 15 years and it never seemed to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

More
7 years 8 months ago #74061 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Culture Transformation: Compliance vs. Commitment
Thanks for the kind words Buc. I have had a busy summer with tons of projects and overtime, so I've been scarce from posting but I read regularly. However, now that the season is on the horizon, I'll be here til we hoist the NC trophy in January. :whistle:

Since you asked, a little "U" update for you...

Talking with my folks back home who are die hard "U" fans, the Miami PR machine is doing all it can to pump up the CMR hire. And that's good, they should. Mark will improve the face of any program. Publicly, everyone is excited for a new era to begin, but privately, there's concerns about what exactly to expect out of his tenure there. Talking with my friend, he informs me that the alumni are on the early look out to see how CMR recruits out of the Sunshine State. We all know that the three states that are gold mines of football talent are Florida, Texas, and Cal (mainly Southern Cal). But CMR has stiff competition going with Jimbo, Coach Mac, and the rest of the SEC predators swooping into the State. Florida might be a peninsula, but it ain't an island. Intrastate competition is heavy, let alone interstate competition. If you pay attention to the Miami forums at all, you'll see that the fan base is thirsty for big name recruits. I recently read a thread on there from fans talking about how CMR needs to recruit good OL and DL players. Yeah...good luck with that one fellas.

There seems to be, from what I can tell, the expectation that CMR is there to improve the image and conduct of a program in shambles, but I haven't heard anyone even mentioning competing for a championship. To quote my friend, the hush hush concern amongst those in the know is that if CMR couldn't do it at UGA, how is he going to do it in Miami? The minimum investment of time to revitalize the "U" program is three seasons. There's still consternation about Richt's hiring of Jon, but they've largely accepted that's a package deal.

That's about all I know right now, but I will talk with my friends back home as their camp progresses and keep you updated with anything of value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #74082 by Buc
SouthernDawg, having read the thread more than once, copied your comments below. Sometimes it takes more than one look/see/read to get a total grip on what is "out there". Great believer in "research".

Finally getting a chance to listen to Kirby's presser and he said something that jumped out at me when discussing how he's in the process of installing "the process" at UGA. He is preaching it loud and proud that the culture of UGA is changing. I picked out the highlights from the presser.

His statements are telling.

Believe that Nick Sabans statements are telling and have noticed that more and more of those that have coached for him have adopted many of his ways.

Since Saban arrived in Alabama, the press has tried on many occasions to pin him for the "three count". Has not happened and will not happen. Small wonder that Coach Saban has a "direct" way with his pressers and many of the BS questions that are thrown his way, simply to justify their reason for being employed.

Kirby Smart as many have noticed, has added this way of thinking and conducting his pressers along the same lines as Saban has and will continue.

Found the video below to be first off, enjoyable, secondly shows how a great coach or teacher can approach "situations" from a different perspective. Nick and Charles get to the "sticky stuff", but do so in a way that many in the media do not understand, or care to understand.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

More
7 years 8 months ago #74083 by Buc
Then there is this . . . . Colin Cowherd. Media puppy that is all about himself. Could not find a "hole" to run through on ESPN, now trying to pass along his failures to FOX. Big mistake by FOX.

There are several, maybe I should say "some" covering UGA that are following the "stuff" that Cowherd if trying to push off to gain . . . . "clicks".

At some point there is going to be a person in the press that will look at the FANS not as "pushovers", see the UGA FANS for the most part understanding college football.

Have to say this . . . . Notice that Mark Richt is donating one million dollars to the "U" helping the fund raising program build a IPF. Spent 15 Seasons in Athens, collected several million dollars. Until Jeremy Pruitt arrived, did not see his money, there was a lot of lip service after Pruitt went public. Eh, Greg McGarity . . . .

More
7 years 8 months ago #74087 by growl
Colin Cowpie for janitor

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds