Forum

"POUTY" still a "POUTER" . . . .

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #74067 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic "POUTY" still a "POUTER" . . . .
You know how we have this conversation every year, sometime around June-ish, about staying sensible in our predictions of the upcoming season? Tempering our desire to see the Dawgs go undefeated against the reality of the anvil that is college football in the modern era? This is something that "local" sports journalism has forgot.

It isn't just a funk on the AJC, but nationwide. Some staffer on [x] paper wants to make a name for himself, so he goes out on a limb or two to make a point, to hype a particular player, coach, or aspect of program [x] to make them seem bigger than they really are, more relevant. In newspapers, it's about column inches. The larger your readership, the larger the amount of paper they devote to what you write. Of course, there is always the pressure to expand and grow your brand, so writers are forced outside the safety of their common sense into the wilds of speculation, drama, and downright fantasy. This is what we have today.

I like trash filters, and I have many. One of them begins "The Way Too Early..." Fans love that stuff (and, as a consequence, are part of the problem.) Here's some truth: no fan worth his salt wishes anything but a National Championship for his football team. Writers know this, so they spin any and every story they can to convince fans that this is their year. Georgia fans know this all too well. I think the greatest damage done by these pixelated pushers of modern snake oil, is to teams on the cusp of change. Proven winners (forgive me) like Alabama, simply have to worry about a let-down from last year. Teams like Georgia, perennially titillated by scent of greatness, get sold on the snake-oil of unfounded hype or unreasonable expectations. Anyone remember 2008?

The fact is that "journalists," in particular "sports journalists," do a very good job of tapping into the passion of fan bases to sell newspapers (and, ultimately, advertising.) It's their job, so to expect them to be somehow impartial or balanced is to neglect the nature of the beast they serve. They need readers, and the two easiest ways to gain readership are 1) homerism, or 2) fantasy.

What I enjoy about Dawgs.com is that you get both sides of the fence and a solid assessment of just exactly how green YOUR particular strain of grass is. A thread may start proclaiming...oh, I don't know.."Mark Richt is the savior of a program verging on greatness," but quickly we get a counterpoint that shows the fallacy of such an idea. It's the too-and-fro that makes sites such as this invaluable in the discussion that NEEDS to happen around college sports. Fantasy quickly gets swept away by reality if discussion is allowed.

As a side note, I hope it is also apparent that a diversity of opinion is not only necessary, but vital to having a vibrant but--ultimately--genuine discussion about any aspect of sports. Temperance (it seems to be a theme this year) cannot happen on the basis of a single point of view, or when opposing views are suppressed. Temperance happens when different voices are allowed into the conversation, allowing passion to be contained through the use of facts, opposing points of view, and a purging of groupthink. To be sure, temperance won't necessarily change a person's point of view on a strongly held opinion, but allowing the discussion is closer to pure journalism than the chatter surrounding a few column inches designed to sell papers rather than forward any meaningful discussion.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #74068 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic "POUTY" still a "POUTER" . . . .
Limey you put a ribbon on a thought shared by many
Who post here...

Thank you sir for your comments.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl

More
7 years 8 months ago #74069 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic "POUTY" still a "POUTER" . . . .
If we/you (Members) do not read every post on Dawgs.com, I encourage every board member to not pass up reading post #74067.

Allow me this . . . . Some of the same has been posted, but not nearly as well as this particular post has been presented.

When I turn my computers on, first stop in Dawgs.com. Second look is Kimberley Nash.

I know in my heart that both of these folks truly are "into" Georgia Football, and . . . . both care about the "overall". That is how I see Smart AND Company . . . . just another "part" of what has been lost, recently found and needed by "many".

Many being 93,000 "supporters" for G Day Game. Georgia Football is now in Kirby Smarts court. 93,000 + spoke to Kirby . . . . we believe, Kirby asked. Show time . . . .

Speaking for myself . . . . of course. Comes a time when a change is needed. I believe that "we" were more than patient during the past 15 years. Cannot accept that either myself or those that I chat with should line up and accept another x number of years . . . . of the same.

Allow me this . . . . again . . . . College Football is a business. Those that call themselves reporters are in a "business". If those that report on UGA Football are not in the "business" of making money for whatever reason . . . . think about that. As Kimberley Nash opens up on her site . . . ."I chirp, you read".

I say that for this reason . . . . many that have "sites" regularly are coming together in one group. Movement is not a bad thing. Those that sit on the outside should pay attention. There is a change going on, and I promise everyone this, from where I sit . . . . the "mullet wrappers" do not like what is "going on". Some of us on the "outside" call it "freedom of thought".

Another site that I really enjoyed reading is one that I speak to now . . . . Bernie's. This puppy was so damn good on most occasions, and I sincerely hope that he is given the "room" to continue his way of "expressing" how he feels about Georgia Football, and those that believe as he does. Bernie is better than good, as is The Lady Sports Writer.

These folks are not employed by the AJC or any group that has "controlled" sports in the State of Georgia for x number of years. Want to figure out the x factor? Not hard, actually easy . . . . Never, ever did the AJC have to "worry" about the x factor. FACT.

Here is the simple formula . . . . now everyone can "speak/post" to any question concerning "sports at UGA" .

Formula, promised this . . . . x equals x.

Thoughts . . . . :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #74070 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic "POUTY" still a "POUTER" . . . .
Buc.....what you said.......truth

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds