Forum

From Athens -Pass'n time until Kickoff

11 years 9 months ago #47210 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: From Athens -Pass'n time until Kickoff
Speaking of punting -

If I was the special (ed) teams coach, I would tell my punter to punt the ball out of bounds on every punt. There would be the occasional "shank" that would only go 10 yards, but that happens anyway, and a good punter would easily minimize those. The upside would be HUGE. You just make sure it goes more than about 30 yards in most situations, but Honey Badgers would never score on punt returns. EVER. The total number of punts returned for touchdowns would be ZERO.

Ok, I'm pretty dumb - so I'm fired as the special (ed) teams coach. But it was fun to type.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #47212 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: From Athens -Pass'n time until Kickoff

thriller wrote: Speaking of punting -

If I was the special (ed) teams coach, I would tell my punter to punt the ball out of bounds on every punt. There would be the occasional "shank" that would only go 10 yards, but that happens anyway, and a good punter would easily minimize those. The upside would be HUGE. You just make sure it goes more than about 30 yards in most situations, but Honey Badgers would never score on punt returns. EVER. The total number of punts returned for touchdowns would be ZERO.

Ok, I'm pretty dumb - so I'm fired as the special (ed) teams coach. But it was fun to type.

Makes sense to me......the only thing is, it isn't that "easy" to be that accurate, some may shank in bounds and you have to cover. I would love to have a great punter to net me 35 yards on average with zero chance of a return.....just believe it's a little tougher to do than we think.

PVBDAWG

More
11 years 9 months ago #47213 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: From Athens -Pass'n time until Kickoff
That's true, wlayton, but you still have 11 guys covering, just in case. And like I said . . . so you get the occasional 15 yard net punt . . . obviously you don't do this out of your own end zone . . . but if you kick it 40 yards (conventionally) and a guy returns it 15 yards, that's only a net 25 yard punt anyway. I'd tell the kid he's forgiven if the ball goes out of bounds only 20 yards down field. But if "Honey Badgers" get touchdowns, you lose your job, Mr. Punter-turned-waterboy.

Just havin' a laugh on a slow day.

:laugh:

More
11 years 9 months ago #47214 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: From Athens -Pass'n time until Kickoff
No argument from me......especially the way they have historically covered kicks/punts. Your idea should have less injuries as well.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.028 seconds