Forum

Georgia No. 1 -- 1946

16 years 11 months ago #4444 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:Georgia No. 1 -- 1946
dapolla wrote:

UGAChemDawg wrote:

LSU split with USC in '03 and Auburn, though undefeated, didn't even get consideration the next year. I call BS on that for obvious reasons, so I'd say that the '03 and '04 NCs are nearly as tainted as the \"fixed\" '46 championship.

The \"split\" with USC in 2003 really chaps my bum. The AP broke their contract with the BCS which said that they MUST vote the winner of the BCS championship game #1. They broke their contract with the BCS to vote for USC. If that doesn't stink to high heaven and show that human polls are a joke then I don't know what does.

I hate USC. I was so glad to see them lose to UCLA last year.

GATA! Woof!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #4445 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Georgia No. 1 -- 1946
RxCowboy wrote:

The \"split\" with USC in 2003 really chaps my bum. The AP broke their contract with the BCS which said that they MUST vote the winner of the BCS championship game #1. They broke their contract with the BCS to vote for USC. If that doesn't stink to high heaven and show that human polls are a joke then I don't know what does.

In actuality, RxCowboy, the AP never had a contract with the BCS. They simply allowed their poll to be used as a measuring device. After the 2003 split, they asked the BCS not to use their poll anymore, which led to the BCS using the Harris poll instead. The AP was never under ANY obligation to vote with the BCS game; that was the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll, which as you'll remember did vote for LSU that year.

I actually liked the split because I loathe the BCS. But I really hate what the split did in terms of swinging so much favoritism over to USC that they keep getting ranked #1 at the beginning of every year. They're projected to start the season #1 again next year, and with their schedule, unless they slip up against an Oregon State or a UCLA like last year (preferably both) they'll be in New Orleans for the championship game.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 10 months ago #4456 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:Georgia No. 1 -- 1946
Thanks for the correction. I'll hang onto my hatred of USC any way... on that we can agree...

B)

GATA! Woof!

More
Time to create page: 0.026 seconds