Forum

Hebron/Stafford

17 years 1 week ago #4287 by Dawgforlife
Replied by Dawgforlife on topic Re:Hebron/Stafford
why can't they just stay away from the crap till they hit 21. can't lose to many guys to a drink, esp stafford. also believe CMR will sit him down and have a talk about how it could mess his future up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dawgforlife
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #4289 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Hebron/Stafford
RxCowboy wrote:

I think it is pretty safe to assume he was drinking, and he is under-aged.

Assuming that a college athlete did something wrong...didn't someone do that up in Durham, NC recently?

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way comparing the Stafford situation to the Duke LAX debacle. I know I drank in college when I was 18/19 years old, and I don't assume for a second that anyone didn't do that just because he or she is a Georgia athlete.

Yes, Stafford was a moron for hoisting a keg above his head and letting some other moron take a picture of it. Yes, Richt should handle it internally, get Stafford's honest admission or denial, and make the little punk sweat it out on the Sanford Stadium steps until he's no longer a punk. But I know that, for example, I don't do drugs. I've been at parties where people have done drugs, and had I had my picture taken next to them while smoking a joint I might have been assumed to have smoked pot. Doesn't mean I did it.

Let's not assume anything of Stafford that we don't know. As you know -- from my numerous posts about the walking sphincter that is Quincy Carter -- that if a Dawg is proven to have screwed up and proves unrepentant and unwilling to change, that I'm the first one to talk smack. I don't want to do that about Matt at this point. A picture is worth a thousand words, yes, but it implies a thousand more, not all of which may be accurate.

At the beginning of the LAX scandal I was guilty of not giving those guys the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't want my daughter hanging around any of them, but it doesn't mean that they did what they were accused of doing simply because they were accused. All this really does is a) hurt Georgia's image and b) give our opponents something to jeer at us for. My answer to a) is to look at Jim Harrick's last year, when the Athletic Department denied us participation in the SEC and NCAA tournaments in order to punish itself for Harrick and Harrick Jr's misdeeds. We punish internally, and others know that. My answer to b) is, that if all Tech and UT and SCarolina can jeer at about us is an allegedly drunken quarterback, then they're in much worse shape than we are.

Sorry this is such a long post for what is essentially a non-event, but RxCowboy I got a bit perturbed at the \"assumption.\"

Love, laugh, live. We're all Dawgs, so GO US!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
17 years 1 week ago #4298 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:Hebron/Stafford
This is NOT a court of law, but a court of public opinion. I'm not required by law to presume innocence when forming an opinion. If someone where talking about charging him with violation of a law based on the picture I would be vociferous in my defending him, all the while believing the picture probably showed a kid who had been drinking. The Duke LAX was a travesty of the law because those responsible for upholding the law acted irresponsibly. However, if these boys hadn't had a drunken party and hired a stripper then there would've been no false accusation. Not saying they deserved it, but if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas (that's dogs, not Dawgs).

If your picture was taken in a room of people smoking dope and you weren't holding any in your hand then I might not presume that you were smoking it. However, if you were holding the bong and grinning, then... well... I might come to an entirely different conclusion.

I do not know whether or not Matthew is unrepentent and/or unwilling to change and have made no such stipulation. But I stand by what I said. His holding the keg showed us clearly that it was empty. Unless someone bought an empty keg then someone emptied it by drinking the beer. I think it is safe to assume Stafford was involved. If you want to convince me otherwise then the burden of proof is on you.

I do believe it should be handled internally by HCMR and involve stadium steps and buckets of sweat. But I also think HCMR needs to make a statement, letting everyone know that Stafford's actions resulted in it being handled internally, because it is a bit of a PR hiccup.

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • RxCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 1 week ago #4300 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Hebron/Stafford
Non-event

PVBDAWG

More