Forum

play calling

18 years 6 months ago #255 by Ike Dawg
play calling was created by Ike Dawg
On third and ten why would you run Joe t around the end it cost us the game it is ridiculous Why would we not run ware or brown or anyone up the middle it pisses me off play calling cost us the game

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Ike Dawg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago #266 by jwthompson1962
Replied by jwthompson1962 on topic Re: play calling

On third and ten why would you run Joe t around the end it cost us the game it is ridiculous Why would we not run ware or brown or anyone up the middle it pisses me off play calling cost us the game

The play calling didn't cost us the game, it was some good defense from the gators at critical times, and not finishing off the drives with TDs. You want to blame the coaches when we lose, but call em brillant when we win. We played hard and could have won it, but didn't capitilize on the opportunities when we had them. It's that simple. Look Couto missed two sure FGs that would have given us the victory, but do you see me laying the blame for the loss on him?

• jwthompson1962
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago #269 by Ike Dawg
Replied by Ike Dawg on topic Re: play calling
I was very upset when I wrote that you are right but I still think the play callin was lousy. How many times do you fool the d with a qb draw. The first time was a great call the second time not bad the last 3 or 4 how many yards did we get. Sometimes CMR gets caught up in what he thinks will work instead of what is working. One quick example against TN how many times did we run the hb draw out of the shotgun I don't think we ever got over 2 yards out of it . He still stuck with his guns when it obviously wasn't working. The play calling didn't lose the game but some of it was uncalled for. 3 and 10 fourth quarter 1:30 left qb draw come on not CMR's best effort

• Ike Dawg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago #271 by jwthompson1962
Replied by jwthompson1962 on topic Re: play calling
Well, I do agree that some of the play calls, especially the one you speak of, were kinda questionable. I do think we went to the well too many times on the QB sprint draw. I also think we should have put Ware in the backfield more the Brown as it seemed Danny was more effective on his runs than Thomas. And why didn't we throw it to Pope more? I mean he has been our big player maker in the passing game all year. Seems like we hardly went his way at all. I think CMR played it a little too conservative. Maybe he wasn't to comfortable with Joe T, but I thought he was doing a pretty darn good job! I love CMR and glad we got him her at UGA, but I think he needs to open this offense up a little more like he did at FSU. I was pretty pleased with how the defense rose to the challenge and setlled down and started stopping the lizaed offense after that disastrous 1st Qtr. If they would have came out playing that way, we would have shut em out!

• jwthompson1962
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago #272 by Dawgforlife
Replied by Dawgforlife on topic Re: play calling

The play calling didn't cost us the game, it was some good defense from the gators at critical times, and not finishing off the drives with TDs. You want to blame the coaches when we lose, but call em brillant when we win. We played hard and could have won it, but didn't capitilize on the opportunities when we had them. It's that simple. Look Couto missed two sure FGs that would have given us the victory, but do you see me laying the blame for the loss on him?

I agree exactly with jwthompson on this one, but couto had the two field goals that were in his range.

• Dawgforlife
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago #276 by TNdawgfan
Replied by TNdawgfan on topic Re: play calling
Look, people, when you are losing in the 4th quarter, the clock becomes your enemy. (how else do you explain the agonizing last 2 minutes?) With 8 or so minutes to go, CMR called a run on 2nd and 18. Stuffed. Tick tick tick. 3rd and 17 QB run. Stuffed. Tick tick tick. Missed FG (barely). No points. Hope the D can score. No such luck. We get the ball back with a chance to drive for the game winning TD. McClendon misses an easy one when it hits him in the face. Should have been a 17 yard gain- not the coaches' fault. But a QB run on 3rd and 11? Caoches' fault. Tick tick tick. With all the pressure on JTIII on 4th down, our line fails to protect. But we should have never been in that situation to begin with.
I love the dawgs-always have, always will. But anyone who knows football has to admit that our playcalling has failed us too often. As I have said before (and will continue to say until it changes), less than 50% TD in the redzone signifies a problem with playcalling. Ask anyone who has ever played or coached at a significant level.
CMR lied to us, plain and simple. He said after Arkansas that he made a mistake by limiting the playbook with Joe T. He said he wouldn't do it again. He did, and we lost. Our GREAT D kept us hanging around, hoping the O could put points on the board. But it never happened.
I will never get over this game, it haunts my nightmares. There will forever be an asterisk by this L in my book. We weren't supposed to win without DJ, but we could have and we should have. The kids played their hearts out, but the coaches let them down.
Go Dawgs, beat Auburn, crush UK, and squash the bees. See you in Atlanta, Bama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TNdawgfan
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds