Forum

Congrats to UF,....

17 years 5 months ago #2466 by NC_Dawg
Congrats to UF,.... was created by NC_Dawg
regardless to whether you agree or not with the BCS final standings, it is what it is!!! IFO look forward to the match up between OSU and UF for several reasons. First and foremost, it will be a barometer to guage if UF is as good as their supporters believe they are. Many media talking heads have repeatedly acknowledged the "strength" of the SEC conference when discussing why UF was selected. That admission alone will help propel future SEC teams, where media exposure and banter have long since been a staple for the mid-western conferences. Secondly, this match up will likewise guage whether OSU is the "monster" these so-called talking heads have made them into. Again, the conflicting arguments that where used to discredit UM's program could be used against OSU!

Most important, however, is once again the BCS has proven itself to be highly flawed. I completely agree with wlayton and his assessment. In fact, a rather stoic Herbstreit made many of the same points last night on ESPN. Herbstreit likewise refuted the notion that only conference champions command greater appeal by comparing UNC and Duke basketball. True, the analogy isn't comparing apples to apples, but the argument does have a measure of import. There is absolutely no reason plausible for UM to remain ranked #2 throughout the period following their loss to OSU. Comparitively speaking, there is absolutely no plausible reason for UGA to beat down #5 ranked Allbarn and #15 ranked NATS and still be outside to Top 25, while at the same time a previously unranked UCLA team beats USC and jumps UGA in the polls.

Flawed, riddled with error and subject to human emotions (Harris Poll)!!! With the noted and uniquely individual 2005 pairing for the NC, the BCS has been an utter failure! What will be interesting is whether these coaches that have been so outspoken recently will back up their posturing with results. Meyer whined about the flaws, but now those flaws have worked in his favor...Is the system still flawed Coach Meyer???

Unfortunately, I do not believe there has been enough substantial and sustained outcrying to force a change. Likewise, regardless to which team that wins the NC, there really isn't a team that has been completely ignored in the decision making. Rather this has been a season long, head scrathing, in an attempt to understand that which defies logic!!!

GatorinGA, I can't say that I will honestly support UF in the NC. I intend to watch, for many of the reason I outlined above. I am no fan of UF and particularly dislike your coach. However, UF's appearence in the NC will have a ripple affect on the SEC to prove or disprove our "power"! What I fear most is a beat down by OSU of epic proportions! On that note, I hope that Meyer manages to represent this conference well........

GO DAWGS>>>>>FOCUS VA TECH

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• NC_Dawg
  • NC_Dawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2470 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Congrats to UF,....
Well said NC_Dawg, you covered everything well, especially your feelings on UF, the CG and the SEC expectations. Great post.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 5 months ago #2475 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: Congrats to UF,....
NC_Dawg
I appreciate your thread.
Several comments regarding your post. I think most of the country believes (me included) that Ohio State is clearly the best team in the country but then there is this big gap before you can settle on a second best team. Unfortunately, no other team has really impressed us to the point where we could call them a clear No.2. Up until the SEC Championship game, I would have placed Michigan ahead of Florida in the BCS. But what Herbstreit can’t seem to understand is that the SEC Championship game is an EXTRA game. A “bonus” question if you will and Florida got those bonus points thus pushing them ahead of Michigan in the BCS. I believe that 100% and for the first time all season, believe that the Gators are the most deserving team. Trust me; nobody has been more critical of the Gators this season than I have.
If we have any chance at all against OSU, it will because Coach Meyer will mix it up and play unorthodox football to the likes of which OSU will not be expecting. That is what he did against Arkansas and it worked. Heck, I was shocked at some of the play calling and faking the punt on 4th and 11 from your own 20?? I have never seen that in 30 years of watching football. Not with 5 mins. Left in the 3rd quarter when you’re only down by 4 points anyway.
I am pleased that so many Dawg fans will do the right thing and root for their fellow SEC comrades, even if you do dislike the Gators so much. I am trying to get tickets to see the Dawgs take on VT as our company has a sky box at the Dome. I may even suck it up and buy a Bulldog shirt for the occasion. :lol: I was offered the seats for the SEC Championship game but I turned them down. I gratefully explained that I am sick in the head when it comes to the Gators and I would be an absolute wreck if I were there in person.
As for Coach Meyers comments, he was asked the question on Sunday night if he still thought the system was flawed and he said absolutely. He is a big fan of a playoff system. I am not the biggest Urban Meyer fan either but to take the Gators to a National Championship in your second season (just the second season from the Zook days mind you) is astounding.

More
17 years 5 months ago #2478 by wlayton
GatorinGa, I really don't have anything against Myer politicing for UF, that's what he should be doing. His comment about UM is what blew me away and shouldn't have been said. He said that if OSU and UM played again and UM won, that he wouldn't recognize UM as the NC. Carr commented that he understood Myer politicing for his team but he shouldn't be making comments about someone else's team like that. On a side note, it really seems that this may be the year of the Gator. Think about it, everything has gone UF's way (the one exception-blocked punt at AU).Huge penalty against UT on that interception runback for a TD that would have given UT a 24-7 lead in 3rd qtr (game over), blocked extra point/field goal against USC to win by one, beat Vandy by 6, UGA by 7 at our lowest point of the year, FSU by 7 (and they're just bad), and the fumbled punt by Ark in the 3rd qtr with a 21-17 lead that UF recovered for a TD and the lead back, taking away all the momentum Ark had. By the time OSU and UF play (another month and 4 days) the offenses usually suffer the most from being dormant and the defenses will carry most teams. To me this will play right into UF's strength and they will pull it off. Their defense will win the game, after all, it seems like it's their year.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 5 months ago #2480 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Congrats to UF,....
GARRRR!!!!!

I hate admitting that Florida SHOULD be in the NC game. Nothign made me sicker on Saturday than rooting for USC(another team I loathe), just to keep Florida out.

However, regardless of the point spread, they had THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULE in the country this year. I don't want to hear that Georgia wasn't a "vintage Bulldog team" because we beat the only team that's beaten Florida by 22 points on the road. I don't want to hear about the one-point victory over SCarolina, seeing as how it was Spurrier's first trip back to the Swamp and I seem to remember a certain 2005 SEC Championship team that only beat Spurrier by 2. I don't want to hear about them struggling with Vandy, because Vandy BEAT US. Florida deserves to be there. Michigan didn't beat anyone except Notre Dame, who didn't do UM any favors by losing to USC by 20 last week. USC failed to break 10 against an unranked (and still SHOULD be unranked, IMHO) UCLA team. -- By the way, how can UCLA beat USC and be instantly ranked, while we beat two ranked teams, one in the top 5 and one in the top 20, and are still unranked? HORSEPLOP, I SAY!!! --

By the way, GatorInGA, if you want to wear a Georgia shirt to the game I'll supply it! Just make sure you send it back signed "A Gator Fan Wore This To Root For The Dawgs!" I always love Florida fans rooting for Georgia; I had a friend in hs whose entire family went to Florida, his parents met there, and he teased me mercilessly about UF's domination of the Dawgs in the '90s. Then his brother went to UGA. I win the argument!

This email hurts. I absolutely hate Florida. Not just the U of, I hate the whole state. Nothing kills me more than admitting that Florida should be in the NC game. Oh well. I stand on principal: GO SEC!!!!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
17 years 5 months ago #2481 by wlayton
I think I was missunderstood a little. I think that UF deserves to be in the game as much as anybody, it just "seems" like it's their year. It takes some breaks to win championships and this year is bouncing for UF.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds