Forum

Interesting Turn of Events

17 years 5 months ago #2218 by dapolla
Interesting Turn of Events was created by dapolla
Well, we've all been clamoring for it for a long time, and apparently it was the best-kept secret of all going into Saturday's game: Mark Richt turned over the play-calling duties to someone else. According to espn.com, Mike Bobo called the plays against Tech. Richt said that had we lost the game, he wouldn't have told anyone that Bobo called the plays. So Bobo will call the plays in the bowl game, and then after that CMR will decide whether to make the change permanent or not. He also said that he had made the decision going into this season to let Bobo call plays, but that he talked himself out of it because of the success he'd had. Actual quote: "I mean, my gosh, we had just won 44 games in four seasons." So I guess it took a few embarrassing failures for him to let go the reins a little bit. Let's see how this plays out in a non-Tech environment. Hooray Bobo!

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2220 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Interesting Turn of Events
I read that as well but I really couldn't see any difference in the play calling.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 5 months ago #2226 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: Interesting Turn of Events
It was a good win for UGA.
I wouldn't be all that excited about 250 yds. of offense though.
This was in no way even close to UGA's best offensive production this season.

More
17 years 5 months ago #2228 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Interesting Turn of Events
I'll have to give GT's DC Tenuta (sp) props, he's a good defensive coach.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 5 months ago #2242 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Interesting Turn of Events
It was Bobo's first game, so:

1) Of course they were conservative. You think he or Richt is going to want 70-yard pass plays called every possession?

2) You didn't notice we ran the whole game?

3) I was a bit concerned that only two of Bobo's drives worked: the one that ended in the missed Ely-Kelso field goal and the winning drive.

4) It was Tech. a) you don't want to lose that game on something stupid and b) it's no good to use that as an example because with a rivalry game that intense, it's ALWAYS close. Just look at the '04 and '05 games.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 4 months ago #2284 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Interesting Turn of Events
Something to remember.....Tech is still a really good defensive team. The yardage we got against them was pretty much the average that they have been giving up all year. It was a rivalry game, too....that makes a difference. Remember, Gator, you guys didnt blow a bad FSU team out of the water the other day, either.......BTW, how are the gator players that were injured? Oh, and one question....did Bobo call the AU game as well?

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds