Forum

UF's offense

17 years 6 months ago #1502 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: UF's offense

Should that read "black coaches"?

Poor Charlie Strong. He has to deal with institutional racism from beyond the beyond....

Agreed, I just did not want to go there. By my math, there should be at least 20 black coaches in NCAA but racism still runs rampant dosen't it?
Once a black coach has some real success, then the door should be open but it just hasn't happened yet.

Maybe a good topic for another post ... if we dare.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1503 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: UF's offense

Unfortunatly for Leak he is a round peg being forced into a square hole.

This has been the case ever since Leak was recruited by one coach, coached by two more, and went through three offensive coordinators in four years. Anyone else besides me believe that once Leak gets drafted and has some consistency at OC, that he'll put up Marino-Manning-Montana-type numbers? He's from Charlotte, where I'm from...believe me, when Leak gets to the NFL, if his nerves aren't completely fried from the idiocy that's been going on in Florida since Spurrier left, he's going to EXPLODE. Give him three healthy years, a chance to start and a running back behind him and Leak will start in a Superbowl. That's a guarantee.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
17 years 6 months ago #1505 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: UF's offense
dapolla, while I agree with you about Leak on 3 different coordinators, schemes, head coaches, etc etc, I don't think he will ever be more than a backup in the NFL. While I think Leak is a fine young man and certainly hope he does well in any area he chooses, when it comes to football, I question his courage, leadership, arm strength, not to mention his height, to be able to make it in the NFL. In my opinion, in college, I question these areas much less going up another huge level to the NFL. Great kid but would be pleasantly shocked if he ever started in the NFL. (but what do I know?!!?)

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 6 months ago #1506 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: UF's offense
Tebow in the spread offense does not scare me as much as Pat White at WVU did last year. Tebow is no where near as fast and I simply cannot see him getting to the corner in the SEC. He is big and strong, but one day someone along the lines of Thomas Davis or Greg Blue is really going to rearrange that kids dentistry. Now Pat White...Sugar Bowl memories still keep me up at night. He is a smaller and faster Tommy Frazier.

When I cannot sleep I think of that Fiesta Bowl between Nebraska and UF where every gator, half the alums and Charlie Pell had a chance to tackle Frazier but he cruised through the crowd like Tiger Woods on the way to 18. It still makes me smile.

Carl Durrell is the coach at UCLA. I think the Ty Willingham experiment at ND set black coached back a bit. I agree more should be given a chance. I am not sure Gainesville is ready for that. Strong will be a good coach somewhere...hopefully soon. I think Tony Dungy has clearly demonstrated coaches of all races can be successful. The down side is people keep giving Dennis Green an open mic.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1507 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: UF's offense
kentdaddy, I totally agree with you about Tebow. Can you imagine Tebow taking on Thomas Davis or Blue? TD could kill the boy. I wanted to get your opinion on the post by dapolla (that I responded to) about Leak making it big in the NFL. Read both posts again and give me your assessment. Thanks

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 6 months ago #1511 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: UF's offense
Wow, I just read that again. I breezed through it and thought the hyperbole was about Tebow. Leak is a good QB and he deserves better than the treatment gatornation has given him, but...he is half the QB Eric Zeier was and Zeier barely made a dent in the NFL. Leak is good like Zeier, David Green, Danny Weurfeul(?), Shane Mathews or a million other great college QBs who did not set the NFL on fire. He may one day be an all time great, but he likely will never get the chance because his arm strength and height. If he gets drafted he will go in the later rounds and if he makes a roster he will carry a clipboard. If he is lucky a starter may get hurt allowing him the chance to shine. The NFL is set up to feature its early draft picks even if the later picks are better.

Take Jacksonville for example. Many people here believe that Leftwich and Reggie Williams are starting solely because they were drafted ahead of Garrard and Wilford. Who knows? Teams do give early draft picks tons of time to succeed before they allow a lower pick to play. Tom Brady may never have become a star if Bledsoe did not get hurt.

In short (too late), I think the deck will be stacked against Mr. Leak because of size and arm strength. He will be drafted after at least these QBs:

Brady Quinn
Brian Brohm - if he comes out
Eric Ainge - if he comes out
Tyler Palko
Chad Henne - if he comes out
Kevin Kolb

Maybe Troy Smith too. I do not know how big Smith is and if he will stay at QB.

If Leak gets a chance a la Brady then maybe he shines, but the stars will have to line up just so for him. Of course I could also be full of poop.

More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds