Forum

Did anyone else notice?

16 years 6 months ago #7720 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Did anyone else notice?
What I really wanted won't happen, which was for South Florida and OSU to both run the table. I would invite each and every one of you to my house and supply you with 20 year old scotch just so that we could all enjoy an 11-year-old program destroy the Buckeyes for the National Championship.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #7744 by flyindawg
Replied by flyindawg on topic Re:Did anyone else notice?
That would have been great. As far as the polls go. I think it's just a case of man part envy. Nothing else. It wouldn't surprise me that's why all the other conference leaders don't want a play of style system. They now the SEC would come in and destroy everyone. Leaving a SEC championship game every year.

More
16 years 6 months ago #7749 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Did anyone else notice?
Well, at least an SEC-owned championship game every year would force the rest of the conferences to up their game. The national playoff is why there's parity in college basketball; teams have to be able to compete on a national level in order to advance in the bracket. Maybe then college football would get out of the doldrums it's been in this year and last (come on...the last good college football year was 2005, which paled in comparison to 2004 and 2003) and you'd see real parity in college football. The idiots at ESPN don't want that really, though, because they insist -- faultily, I might add -- that college football is only good when the \"traditional powers\" are good. That is, football is only worth covering if Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia (yes, we are a traditional power, ESPN told me so!), Southern Cal, Oklahoma and Nebraska are up. If those teams aren't up, well then it's just not interesting. Really? I think the South Florida thing is one of the most compelling stories of any football year. Same goes for what happened to Wake Forest last year. I think that what's happened to Boise State and Louisville since the start of the century is INCREDIBLE. Not to mention a few years ago when the MAC was good, and MAC teams were beating \"big\" schools left and right. And I don't think I have to mention Troy. The destruction and re-emergence of the Big East is a great story, especially when juxtaposed with what's happened to the ACC since realignment happened.

What in the world does it mean that it's good for college football when Ohio State is good? That's idiotic. The same goes for ND or USC. What? None of those idiots know what they're talking about, they're just talking to fill space.

...and all of this is from a guy who doesn't support a playoff system...

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
16 years 6 months ago #7778 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Re:Did anyone else notice?
The college presidents don't want a playoff system. Remember the crap about hurting academics, so what do they do, they add a twelveth game to the regular season. I do recall that Mike Adams said somewhere he would consider some sort of playoff. I think the SEC should absolve itself from the NCAA (not really, but hey, we always get the shaft.) There is definitely a media bias against the SEC.

More
Time to create page: 0.023 seconds