Forum

Those Hard Times . . . . .

16 years 7 months ago #7153 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
...oh, oh...and who wasn't choked up by that cartoon in the AJC, of Catfish greeting Lewis at the pearly gates after he died. Man, it still gives me goosebumps. Anyone remember when we lost to tech that one year and his column was blank...they published blank space for his column after the game and the Dawg nation collectively read it and said \"we feel your pain, man.\" Lewis Grizzard was a giant. (I graduated from J-school. Lewis was my god.)

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #7157 by StaffordGirl07
Replied by StaffordGirl07 on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
I remember both of those,Limey. I met Lewis a couple of times. He came to speak at my highschool (Newton County in Covington) one year.
And then, in about 1986, my grandaddy took me with him to see Georgia play Ole Miss in Oxford. About midway of the first quarter, I saw a familiar face walking past me up the aisle. It was Lewis!! I was so excitied!!
He had written a column a few months before--some of you may remember it--about how all the new kids names were silly and lacked substance like the old names.
Well, my name is Traci. And the name of the column was \"T is for Traci.\" So, I went up to him and said, \"Mr. Grizzard, I know you don't like my name, but can I have your autograph anyway?\"
He got the biggest kick out that--but not nearly the thrill that I got.
Ofcourse, I still have the autograph--but, I sure do miss him, and his take on the world.

Go Dawgs!!!

• StaffordGirl07
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #7160 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
Very cool story !

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.024 seconds