Forum

Those Hard Times . . . . .

16 years 7 months ago #7136 by Buc
Those Hard Times . . . . . was created by Buc
This is an article that Lewis Grizzard wrote for the AJC. Some of you might not know who he is, but he was Red and Black, through and through. A man that I never got to meet and shake his hand, my bad . . . . I am beginning to come down a little from the disappointment of the Tennessee game, but had to go back and re-live articles like this and think about how fortunate I am to be a Bulldog.

Written by Lewis Grizzard
Those Hard Times

Mama used to talk about hard times a lot. I didn't pay much attention back then.

I had plenty to eat, a nice warm bed and a dog who came when I called him.

But I can remember. I can remember Mama watching me open my Christmas gifts as a child.

I didn't get the air rifle or the expensive electric train I wanted one Christmas. Daddy was gone and Mama taught in a Georgia public school system in the '50s. That's why I didn't get the air rifle or the expensive electric train I wanted.

I seem to remember what I got instead was a pair of skates and some underwear. I probably showed my disappointment.

Mama noticed and said, \"Son, all we used to have when I was growing up was hard-candy Christmases.\"

Mama grew up on a family budget that was based on what a few acres of red clay could produce. What the family didn't eat, they sold or traded for other needs. A dozen fresh yard eggs for a bucket of syrup.

\"All we got for Christmas,\" Mama said, \"was a few pieces of hard candy. Daddy just didn't have the money for anything more.\"

I can remember her talking with the other adults about the Great Depression, an Excedrin recession.

\"Times were hard, but I guess we were lucky,\" Mama would say. \"We didn't have any money, but we had some chickens and a cow, and Daddy was still able to grow a few things. At least we didn't go hungry like a lot of other folks.\"

Hard times. They come and they go. These are really the hardest times most of the people alive in this country today have ever known. My generation, the baby boomers, haven't known any hard times before. I was able to pay for some of my college, but Mama saved shoe boxes full of ones and fives to help me get started.

Opportunities abounded when I graduated. I went to work for The Atlanta Journal for $150 a week in 1968, when I was 21. My mother made $120 a month teaching first grade in Senoia, Ga., in 1953.

Since I was 15, I've never been out of work, except when I chose to be out of work. I decided to devote all my energy to my tennis game back in 1974, so I quit my job at the Journal. No problem. I'd saved a few shekels and my wife worked for the apartment complex in which we lived. We got free rent. My forehand volley improved dramatically.

When I decided I'd never wind up on center court at Forest Hills, I went back to work. I had no problem finding another job. I got one at the Chicago Sun-Times in 1975, making $28,000 a year.

And I'm still one of the lucky ones. I've still got a job today. A lot of other people don't, of course. Unemployment rates are up, to be sure, but we still can't compare these hard times to those of our parents and grandparents.

We're in a hole, but not nearly as deep a one as the country and its citizens have been in before.

What I'm wondering is, are we as strong and determined as our forebears were? They held up and held on and went through hell to get out of the deep well they were in.

Can we stick it out and remove ourselves from a comparative pothole?

Perhaps it's easy for me to ask such questions. General Motors hasn't laid me off. My employer hasn't gone out of business.

But all of us have an example that was set by those who gave us life and reared us.

They blamed the politicians just like we're doing. Damn Hoover. Do- nothing Bush.

They hurt. They cried. They despaired.

But they survived. And we can too.

It's in our blood.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
16 years 7 months ago #7139 by miss_uga
Replied by miss_uga on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
Great post, Buc!

• miss_uga
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #7148 by GooseDawg78
Replied by GooseDawg78 on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
Ol' Lewis Grizzard is one of my favorite authors of all-time & a Bulldog from head to toe. He grew up about 5 miles down the road from my parents house in Newnan, GA & his childhood house has now been converted into a museum in sleepy, downtown Moreland, GA. As a small child in the 1980's, I remember buying my Dad (using allowance money he gave me) a new Lewis Grizzard book just about every year for Christmas or for his B-day. My dad loved Lewis Grizzard & owns every single book he ever wrote.

Yes, Lewis was a man of humble roots but of great character. He always had a gift at expressing the ups & downs of life in general but stressed the importance of focusing on the enduring aspects of life which matter most of all: family, religion/spirituality, integrity, self-esteem, hard work, \"the golden rule\", and loving one another.

Reading this particular article reminds me of my late Granddaddy R.I.P, a farmer/sharecropper in Bulloch County GA who once told me: \"Son, I can remember going to work w/o a penny in my pocket & wonderin', how in the world am I going to feed my wife and 5 kids today. But you know what son, the good Lord always provided and I'd make a nickel that day and we'd get by, we'd always get by!\"

I'm 29 years old, & feeling older every day, but it's stories like these that bear a constant reminder of just how blessed we are these days...I've never known hard times, I've just made things hard sometimes.

Thanks for the memories Buc!

More
16 years 7 months ago #7149 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
Thanks Buc.

PVBDAWG

More
16 years 7 months ago #7150 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
I loved Lewis Grizzard. I wonder how big he would have been had he survived long enough to see the coming of the Internet?

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #7152 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Re:Those Hard Times . . . . .
I'm wondering why nobody has made him the posthumous giant he should be? I agree, had he hung on for a few more years, he'd be huge, but he couldn't. Catfish needed him.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds