Forum

GAME DAY: BALL STATE CARDINALS VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS

7 months 2 weeks ago #82993 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: BALL STATE CARDINALS VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #82994 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: BALL STATE CARDINALS VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Dunno. Something is lacking with this team. Something is amiss.
Defense used to rush to the ball, now we see guys bailing on tackles, guys not wrapping up. Offense is about as exciting as watching paint dry, and it shows.
They play like they expect the next natty to fall into their laps by default. No fire anywhere. No passion. This team won't win the East.

While I certainly share your concern, I'm not ready to say this team won't win the East. Our defense is stupid elite again. The offense (and more importantly) the offensive line is very concerning. 

What I am ready to say is that I don't see a leader in Carson Beck. I see a game manager Joe Cox type of QB. Maybe that's all that is required of us this season thanks again to our defense. Maybe all we need is someone who doesn't screw up, but doesn't light the world on fire. I don't know yet, however, I just don't see any passion out of this offense like I saw out of Todd Monken's offenses. These short check downs for a gain of 4 or a loss of 1 ain't getting the job done. And since I'm being Mr. Curmudgeon, let me also say this: If Beck floats those little soft check downs to his left against good defenses - you know, those defenses not named UT Martin or Ball State - those outside backers and corners are going to get a pick 6. I saw 3 passes yesterday that I just cringed at. I told Pop - just wait. Just you wait. That shit right there - that ain't gonna work. Not against SC, not against TN, not against Auburn, not even against FU. Those defenders will read that and be all over that hot garbage like a fat kid on a snickers bar. 

We're going to find out right quick this coming week what this team really looks like. I am very confident the defense is a 'what you see is what you get' type of affair. Eite. Dominant. But the offense? Beck hasn't faced pressure or SEC speed yet. South Carolina is going to be a different animal for him. The QB is the team leader. Say what you want about Stetson and we - all of us - were critical of him at first. I'll raise my hand and take my licks - I was very critical of him early on. But never once did I question that kids' passion. You knew he was Georgia. He bled red. He ate a handful of hedges for good luck. He put the Dawg in Damn Good Dawg. Beck? Maybe I am misreading it entirely and maybe I'll eat my words when we lift the hardware again this year, but he looks about as excited to be on that field as I look in the waiting room for my rectal exam. The offense, as a whole, mirrors that lack of enthusiasm.

That better change. 

If you haven't - listen to Kirby's post game presser. He sees it. 

Its going to get interesting this week.

Go Dawgs

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #82995 by SouthernDawg
From Saturday Down South today (credit: Chris Wright)

Are we really going to do this, Georgia?

The schedule is laughable. And, yes, you had ample time (read: money) to correct it. You chose to keep it soft.

In doing so, you opened yourself up to every bit of criticism/overreaction imaginable when you failed to score a point in the opening quarter against cupcake Ball State.

Carson Beck started 8-for-10. Excellent! For 48 yards. Ridiculous.

Brock Bowers had 1 catch for 3 yards.

Meet Mike Bobo … the only man on earth who can contain Bowers.

Georgia has scored exactly 1 TD in the first quarter this season. You know, largely the scripted plays that, in theory, coaches design specifically to exploit what they see on film.

We went through this last year, too. Georgia slept-walked through half of its regular-season games.

Ultimately, just like last year, it doesn’t matter how bland and boring this offense looks in September or October. Georgia is not losing.

But the first month is about style points, setting the tone and sending messages.

Georgia’s message so far? We can’t be bothered.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #82996 by kentdaddy
Beck does look a but hesitant. After 2 years of balls to the wall Bennett with his world of swagger Beck does look more meek. That could be a function of running a limited playbook though.

Vandagriff comes in looks to sling it immediately in contrast. 

The schedule this year was supposed to include Oklahoma but the SEC made the team cancel that home and away once OK joined the SEC.

I am betting the offense is running vanilla on purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #82998 by LimeyDawg
It's a tough thing to do when you call out YOUR team for...what? Vanilla? Lackluster? Uninspired play.
But here we are.
How would you rate our O-line play so far? Al dente is what comes to my mind. The D has played okay, but when did our standard become "don't wrap up" or "bail on tackles"? We've been the "standard" for defense, yet here we are stinking it up.
Beck looks like he's holding back. He gets the ball out quickly bit he's a quarter beat off from synchronizing with the receivers. Vandergrift has a cannon, but the sights are off.
All of this ought to have been worked out during spring practice.
You know, maybe it's our old nemesis, complacency, coming back to bite us. But the thing is, we have no excuses now. We're two-time defending national championship and--goddammit-I expect us to play like it. So what if this or that starter is out? The dude behind him didn't get recruited because he could fog a mirror. Catch the effing ball. Wrap up the tackle. Block when your damned number isn't called. Otherwise, step off so the next dude can show you how it's done. 5 stars don't mean crap when you play at a 2-star level. This ain't Tech.
The field is where champions get to play. If this team continues to "expect" to win versus "playing" to win, we're going to get embarrassed.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #82999 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic GAME DAY: BALL STATE CARDINALS VS GEORGIA BULLDOGS
KD... Spot on with your vanilla offense.... if there one thing we know about Kirby... he does nothing without having a damn good reason.

Very excellent point on.Beck's personality.... CKS has stated he is calm and not a ra ra guy .... gets his points across without yelling..

Team respects his knowledge and leadership..... hear a lot about throwing behind his receivers.... but nothing about the absolute dime thrown to Cash Jones on the wheel route for TD

Stay well. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds