Forum

Monday Thoughts -- Needed Up Grades Finally

8 years 2 months ago #72917 by Buc
A statement or two and a question . . . .

Looking at everything linked to Smart and Company that I can find, one of the areas that really sticks out to me, building depth.

Coach Smart is without a doubt doing a job that was looked past for many years . . . . hiring a staff substantial in numbers to get the job done. We always seemed to be a person or two short on the coaching and administrative side of football. Has a lot to do with the coaches time management.

Kirby has addressed personnel needs, and what that does is free him up to do one of the many things he is very good at . . . . recruiting.

One thing that Greg McGarity said in 2010/2011 to Mark Richt was you take care of on field matters, I will see that the distractions are removed from your area. Your area is to coach and lead the football program. Truthfully, that never fully happened. Looking back, it is one thing said by McGarity that I totally agreed with. The outcome that not only our Athletic Director wanted, same can be said about many of us. Not to be ugly, but in some circles that is referred to ADD. I believe that was a problem in this case, or . . . . just did not feel he had to “follow orders/suggestions”.

Hiring needed personnel and spending solid time recruiting in my way of thinking appears to have taken a foot hold. There was a lot of talk about building a wall/fence around the State of Georgia, never happened from the time the coaches started saying that several years back. The only coach that recognized how to partially isolate the players in Georgia is now the defensive coordinator for Alabama. That of course is referring to the Indoor Practice Facility. We have thanked Jeremy Pruitt already on this board, many times.

Have to be some thoughts on changes in Athens among the board members, I would think. Would expect to hear that Mark Richt is no longer in Athens, that is a given.

Allow me this . . . . I like the fact that Coach Smart is straight forward when he says that he is open to a quarterback much like the one that opened his eyes in the National Championship Game. Watson is the name, and he is returning in 2016. Mark Richt in my opinion had a quarterback that fit that category, Faton Bauta, but the coaching staff refused to go in that direction. My thoughts on that . . . . Can't teach what you don't know or understand. Think like the previous head coach, you don't make the Final Four, talent or no talent. Athens soon will have more talent than we have ever had and with that depth, there could be changes made. Coach Smart has an open mind, much like Coach Saban did in the hiring of Lane Kiffin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago #72919 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Monday Thoughts -- Needed Up Grades Finally
We all get stuck In a rut once in awhile...need a jolt

To get moving again..... Change for change sake is

Just as bad IMO than no change..... You tend to toss

Things that may have been working.....and replace them

With things that do not..... However, doing nothing

Leads to complacency and a false comfort zone....

Combine this with a unwillingness to listen to others

Makes a toxic combination.....we experienced all the

above with our previous HC...... I agree our QB will come

With working wheels..this season ....Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 2 months ago #72922 by Buc
yankeedawg1, occasionally I go back and watch tape/videos, find that I pick up on things I missed first or second time around.

This particular interview of Coach Smart, my opinion Chuck Dowdle did a very good job both in questioning and listening.

Kirby mentions in the video that this is a fresh start, not only for him, the players also. Everyone basically starts over. Coaching change, that is the rule.

Coach Smart talks about mental toughness as well as physical toughness. I buy into what he has to say about that, and believe that most on the team will also.

Looking over the roster that Smart and Company are going to work with, there is a lot of talent. High caliber talent. Not going to say as many have done in the past (not on Dawgs.com) and predict a lights out season. But, not going to say that when we line up on Saturdays that we can't beat anyone on our schedule.

When I look closely at our 2016 Schedule, I see some good football teams. Opening with North Carolina, don't expect that to be a pushover, that team improved a lot under their new coaching staff.

Another reason to build a fence around the State of Georgia. The high school players in North Carolina are going to start staying home. Of course the big draw for all teams in the SEC is the way the game is played in the SEC. Players from all over the Country want to be recruited by SEC Universities. The SEC conference is "proven", backed by statistics.

Already we see where Smart and Company are recruiting several years down the road. Saban and Company have been doing that since Saban's arrival in Tuscaloosa.

This could be a "beginning" in Athens that has "never" been done before. For sure some of us that are long in the tooth have not been as excited about change in UGA Football as we are now. That dates back several years.

So, when watching the video below, maybe some of you will feel some of the excitement that I feel.

www.ugafootballlive.com/news/chuck-dowdl...erviews-kirby-smart/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago #72923 by Buc
One thing that I see in Kirby Smart is what I saw in Erskine Russell for many years. Damn right I am excited.

Couple of videos that some might want to "watch again". I do.

Have made remarks on Dawgs.com about VD and Erk. Listen to the second video, some might understand why I feel the way I do. Tired of the way football has been "handled" in Athens. There is and "was" a better way.

Vincent and Francis, two peas in a pod as far as I am concerned.

Welcome home Head Coach Kirby Smart, there are those of us that have put up with enough "stuff" over a long period that believe "real change" was "finally made" in the Athens.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago #72924 by Buc
I am proud of my avatar. Damn betcha.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #72925 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Monday Thoughts -- Needed Up Grades Finally
My sense is CKS has expectations.....mile markers along

The road of improvement.... He will measure himself

And his staff as to how they are performing....no need

For outside criticism his will be far more in depth and honest....

Once again teams I respect on our 2016 schedule but

None that we should be intimidated by.....

IW was looking for a snow day so school would be

Cancelled...no ST work....Coach read his tweet

And answered....ain't no time off in the weight room

See you with the sunrise........ Dawgs getting bigger stronger and faster....all good. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds