Forum

FOMO

8 years 5 months ago #71382 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic FOMO
These are just my opinions but here is how I think this went down.

1. Just like every AD, McGarity has a list of 4-5 names every day that is fluid.
2. After the UT loss I think he spoke to the AD's "agent" to see if any of those names would be "interested" if something ever happened.
3. After the UF debacle, the phone call was made to line them up and ask about specifics in salary, staff, etc.
4. By the time we get to the firing, it's already taken it's due diligence. I don't like McGarity, but the man isn't stupid. He already knew the 4-5 "hot names" and what their interest in a UGA opening was.

Right hire or wrong hire, due diligence was done, IMHO
The following user(s) said Thank You: NC_Dawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #71537 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic FOMO
FOMO made richt take the Miami job too. He looked like he needed a year off to recharge. I would have been disappointed in him if he had hung around in some position uga created for him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 5 months ago #71546 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic FOMO
The point was to ask a simple question:

If Smart wasn't available, does McGarity fire Richt.

Can't seem to get anyone to answer that straight up, so just move on from this one.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

• Wartdawg
  • Wartdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 5 months ago #71550 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic FOMO

Wartdawg wrote: The point was to ask a simple question:

If Smart wasn't available, does McGarity fire Richt.

Can't seem to get anyone to answer that straight up, so just move on from this one.

Yes. That was decided before the Belk Bowl.

I beat on McGarity a lot. Think that he has deserved that.

When looking back over the past couple of years, there were a lot of folks in the "money group" that wanted change.

Finality came after Alabama, Tennessee and Florida. When we played Georgia Southern, it was over period. Excuse made that the decision was made after the GT game. BS.

I have felt that McGarity is a lot like Richt, might want something done, just does not know how to work through certain channels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NC_Dawg

More
8 years 2 months ago #72962 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic FOMO
Who knows what might have happened if the Citadel hadn't won that game. MR could still be the coach, or KS could be the coach with Muschamp the DC. God bless the Citadel... :)

www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/...champ-steve-spurrier

More
8 years 2 months ago #72963 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic FOMO...?!?!?
Meh,......I suspect that "comment" was more creative journalism than grounded in fact!....BulldogShannon and Buc outlined what was likely the actual build up to CMR's departure. Like Buc, I believe the die was cast after the Belk Bowl, with a caveat that a reprieve might occur should the program manage to stop/ limit the epic meltdowns of the past........Didn't happen,......Bama, UT and UF sealed MR's fate and the negotiations began.

I'm no fan of McGarity, but he coordinated the CKS hire in a manner that should be applauded. UGA had set an ugly precedent of "interesting" hires with Goof and DoNut. There's little doubt in my mind that neither McGarity nor Mahogany Row were interested in another head coach hiring failure played out in the national media!

FTR, I believe CKS was option #1 of many....CMR cooked his own goose and he knew it!...All that PR spin about creating an internal position for Mark was smoke and mirrors for MR to finalize his arangements with Da U!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds