Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

9 years 1 month ago #67052 by DawgDoc
Replied by DawgDoc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Buc this was common verbiage on the practice field. I remember it well. I can still hear Coach Butts calling Loran Hargrove "a yellow belly son of a bit-h" because he hesitated before he hit the hole between tackle & guard. Butts never chewed anyone out if you were doing the best you could with your God given talents, but God help you if you had the talent & didn't use it. No slake time at practice, you ran all the the time & that included back to the huddle. The practice field was a very unholy place, always felt I had to go to confession after some practices. Game day was almost like a day off after Wally Butts practices. In my world he was the best!!!!!! Rest in pace Wally.
As always GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Member since 1999
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #67053 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
DawgDoc. Your comment sbout the game being easier than practice under Wally sounds

Much like what our new S& C. Coach told our current team.... You practice hard so you can

Play easy....time to do the work is not in the actual game...way to late then

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, swampdawg

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 1 month ago #67054 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
DawgDoc there is so much history, and I guess there are some of us left that can reflect on Athens in another day and time.

Coach Butts did not play favorites, he was also a great believer in "human tackling dummies".

Coach Butts, Coach Russell, cut from the same cloth in many ways. Coach Butts would use language in an instant, not the same with Erk.

Truthfully, I am glad to see some of that coming back. You mentioned this in your post . . . . No slack time at practice, you ran all the time & that included back to the huddle. That carried over to my high school coach. Now we hear the young men saying the same thing about Coach Jeremy Pruitt. I sincerely hope that this group of coaches are willing to step back and "borrow" some things from the past. Never heard a single player say a bad word about Coach Wally Butts.

I am a believer in discipline, does not have to be extreme this day and time, but too many young players arriving in the Classic City have never been faced with real discipline. If they get the "message" their lives improve beyond belief.

Maybe we have a group of "Drill Sargeants" in Athens that do care about many of these players futures, away from football alone. Break them down, build them up. Pruitt will do that. I call it "needed Leadership".

I post the following link again, means much to me, also know that there is more than one player on the current roster that views this board.

Pruitt has brassies.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
9 years 1 month ago #67055 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
DawgDoc,
That's what I mean when I say practice should be like boot camp. Work hard and get called on it when you don't. Good old Wally. And his language was fine for practice field talk.

After practice you were worn out. You didn't have energy or time to get in trouble with the law..

Wally is watching. So is Erk.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

9 years 1 month ago #67056 by Buc
Butts Avatar works for me Steve.

Having played football for one of WB's players, prepared me for Boot Camp. My high school coach was much like Erk, did not use "language", but . . . . he had other "teaching moments". Lot of similarities between football and Boot Camp. Have mentioned before that football has had and still has a impact on my life. If not, would not be so "wordy" here. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #67057 by Buc
Watched a short video with Lorenzo Carter talking defense. He is impressive, no doubt. Carter made this statement about high school football and college football being different. The way that he and others are being taught under the Pruitt plan is "knowing football". Prevents a lot of "arm waving" during SEC games.

Edit:
There has been a lot of conversation on the internet about Hocke and his importance in leading the S&C staff and players. This is not a shot at Tereshinski, but the players have to be listened to, they know how they feel. S&C coaching change reminds me in some ways of the change from grantham to Pruitt. Some are better "teachers" than others. JT comes from a different era. Much has changed, including a head coach that might have removed the "wax" from his ears. :whistle:

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds