Forum

How do you define "Success"?

9 years 8 months ago #61764 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic How do you define "Success"?
NCD I like your analysis. That is about how it goes for me. Let's win the first two and go from there.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #61766 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic How do you define "Success"?

sadlerdawg wrote: If our players, and coaches, give 100% EVERY game from start to finish, we don't lose any games we shouldn't lose, our players, or coaches, don't give up on games or plays, and we play up to the potential of our talent level, and we at least compete for titles, and our players, coaches and fans can be proud to be part of Bulldawg Nation again, that is a successful year to me any year, regardless of W/L record.

Spoiler alert---IMO, based on this criteria, we haven't had a successful season in over a dozen years.

What he said......

Minimum is to win the East, anything less is a FAIL. Goal is to get into the final 4 whether by winning the SECCG (which is preferred) or played in it in the manner sadler mentioned above and we get in the final 4.

PVBDAWG

More
9 years 8 months ago #61772 by SBR1969
Replied by SBR1969 on topic How do you define "Success"?
Play in the SEC Title game and going in with swagger and knowledge that we are the better team and will stomp the s@#$ out of whoever is on the other side. The win loss record at that point doesn't mean much to me as long as we have beaten the gaterds. If we are there that gives us potential for a run in the playoffs. That's my version of success, but after such incredible disappointment in recent years I hope that isn't a ridiculous wish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, wlayton

More
9 years 8 months ago #61789 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic How do you define "Success"?
Win the SEC. Same as always,

More
9 years 8 months ago #61794 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic How do you define "Success"?
I don't set hard terms on this. Success or fail for me is not judged on a specific number of wins.

I've seen 11 win teams that ultimately infuriated me and I judged as a fail.

My "goal" every year is to win the SEC. My definition of success is based on how we competed. Did we
never give up, did we always give it our all... Am I ashamed of the way one of the three facets of the
team performed...did we do something incredibly stupid that cost us a game..

With the talent we have, if we work hard, play hard for all 60 minutes, never give up then the success
will follow accordingly.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not going to sit here and say a 5-7 steam is a success, but I have found that
I can't tie it only to a specific record or result.

The goal though... win the SEC.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm, growl

More
9 years 8 months ago #61924 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic How do you define "Success"?
For me, there are too many variables to define success simply as a ratio of wins to losses. Luck plays such a huge part in the season that all the preparation in the world can be undone by a moment. Look at Auburn last year. Their season turned on two instances of luck.
My goal, your goal, the goal of every football fan out there is to see their team win it all. However, falling short of that goal does not define an unsuccessful season. A successful season is seeing the team play its heart out every week. Its seeing players and coaches and fans step up when they are needed. It isn't defined by the fleeting platitudes of the talking heads whose attention deficit disorder allows them to fawn over the 'flavor of the day' team as though doing so makes them seers. Success is winning despite such things. Success is winning when you shouldn't. It's winning in the manner you're capable of winning--not struggling to get past an overmatched cupcake. Success is also losing in a dignified way, knowing that you left everything on the field and bowing to the truth that, on a given day, you were bested by a superior foe but also knowing that somewhere, deep in the mind of that foe, the desire to try you again is wrapped in doubt, fear and respect.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds