Forum

How do you define "Success"?

9 years 7 months ago #61755 by thriller
How do you define "Success"? was created by thriller
I started this thought a little while ago and stopped, when I realized I hadn’t answered the question for myself. So now that I’ve thought about it, it’s a little more complicated than I originally thought.

Here is my definition of “success” for this year’s Dawgs.

First I thought it was as simple as 12-0, 11-1, 10-2, 9-3, 8-4 or 7-5 and worse, with success being defined by a definite point in there somewhere. Then I realized it all sort of depends . . .

There are going to be those who go so far as to say we could go 12-0 and win in Atlanta, win in the first playoff game, but lose the NC game and the entire season was one giant “FAIL”. Perfection is always desired, but that’s a tall order. I’m glad I am not a “Perfection or Bust” personality. I would never have lived this long.

Some, like myself, want all of that PLUS the NC win, but for the season to be a “success” won’t mean necessarily “perfection”. What if we do all of the above, but only go 11-1 and STILL win the NC? Is that a fail? Is anything shy of a NC a fail? Is an SEC championship and a loss in the first round a success or a fail? Loss in the SECC – is that a fail? Lose the East Division but win a bowl game – success or failure?

So here is my feeling, boiled down to its simplest definition for success:

If we go 7-5 – that is a FAIL. We’re getting a new coach. Period.

If we go 8-4? The season is a bust for me, honestly. To me (and it’s taken a long time for me to reach this conclusion, embarrassingly enough) 8-4 is NOT the same as 8-3 was in an 11 game season. It’s 7-4 with another cupcake win thrown on top. Mediocrity and beating up on a little guy does not make me happy.

9-3? Now we get closer to the gray area for me. This is where “that depends” creeps in. Did we have all of our players pretty much without injury all year? If so, 9-3 is FAIL. Did we lose to someone like Kentucky? Vanderbilt? Come close to winning the East but fell short on a busted coverage? And on and on. FAIL. On the whole, I’d say 9-3 is “FAIL” territory.

10-2? This really depends too. Did we lose to Florida and blow the East? Epic FAIL. Did we lose early and still win the East and win the SEC? NOT fail. At least not to me. 10-2 is now on the borderline – and that is too bad, because it SHOULD be pretty cool. Lose two games in the regular season? We’d better win a bowl game if we do. Otherwise it’s 10-3, which is really 8-3 with two cupcake games thrown on top.

11-1? Again, this depends, but the odds are definitely better here. This wins the East, in all likelihood. And even if it doesn’t, as Alabama has shown, it could still get a team into the final four. Most likely, this is “success”. (I admit – it could also, depending on the circumstances, be “horrifically painful, salt-in-the-wound-tear-your-heart-out-FAIL”.)

12-0? I would have to say “SUCCESS”. Again, having gotten so close only to have one’s heart torn out and stomped on SUCKS, but it’s hard to call this “FAIL”, no matter what else happens.

And now let the games begin – how do you define success this year?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, wlayton, DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• thriller
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #61756 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic How do you define "Success"?
I would say without going into a won loss type deal is to be in the hunt for or able to compete for the NC after winning the SEC. That would be a success. Winning the SEC East would be a dissappointing type of success (been there done that with more talent)anything other than that would be FAIL.......

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
9 years 7 months ago #61759 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic How do you define "Success"?
All or nothing!!!!!!!

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #61760 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic How do you define "Success"?
If our players, and coaches, give 100% EVERY game from start to finish, we don't lose any games we shouldn't lose, our players, or coaches, don't give up on games or plays, and we play up to the potential of our talent level, and we at least compete for titles, and our players, coaches and fans can be proud to be part of Bulldawg Nation again, that is a successful year to me any year, regardless of W/L record.

Spoiler alert---IMO, based on this criteria, we haven't had a successful season in over a dozen years.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, NC_Dawg, Buc, ogredawg

More
9 years 7 months ago #61762 by growl
Replied by growl on topic How do you define "Success"?
Marked improvement in all facets of the game and a trip to the playoffs. GO DAWGS!!!!!!

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
9 years 7 months ago #61763 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic How do you define "Success"?
My definition of success mirrors that of Sadler! The W's & L's will align themselves based on whether we field a "TEAM" or some derivative thereof. I'll know, within the first few series of our season opener if the fire of a "TEAM" burns within this group, or not!.....

Seasons past, I'd often say that I was "Cautiously Optimistic"....this year,....I'm anxious to see this stable of backfield thorobreds take the field...I'm wondering what, if any, impact the new DC had on an otherwise pathetic defense...I'm PRAYING that some thought and preparation was given to special teams and I'm somewhat concerned that we may have, once again, given command to a 5th year Senior when true talent warms the bench.

IMVHO, a "TEAM" starts at the front office and ends with the talent. If they've all done their part, then we, the fans, must do ours as the 12th player on the roster....Otherwise, I suspect we will have a repeat of what we've seen for many, MANY years.....Close,...oh soooooo close,......like a tipped pass on the 5 yard line......

GO DAWGS................

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds