Forum

UGA vs AU?

10 years 6 days ago #60112 by TN Dawg
UGA vs AU? was created by TN Dawg
Question: Will we see the end of the UGA / Auburn rivalry?

Talk is that if the SEC goes to a 9 game conference schedule that the "Deep South's Oldest Rivalry" may be no more. Why? Would we not be able to have 9 conference games, with one rotating west team? I see the problem more in the 3 remaining games. We will not drop GT, leaving 2 patsies and no quality teams like say Clemson, Arizona State, Notre Dame, to name just a few.

Any thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• TN Dawg
  • TN Dawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #60113 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic UGA vs AU?
TN Dawg, have read a lot of different opinions as to what should or should not happen.

I do think along this line. The more we have coaches coming into the SEC from different areas, there could be a major shakeup.

Much will be said soon in Destin, and then, who knows?

I would think that ESPN would like to see rivalries like Auburn and Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee remain the same. Means much to the bottom line. $$$$$, which comes from fans attendance.

Other side of that coin . . . . many of the young players and coaches in todays game are not deeply rooted in age old meetings. History to some of us, but more and more it seems to me that history is disappearing. Such as Georgia/Auburn meeting in Columbus, Georgia at the old Memorial Stadium to play football back in the day. Georgia/Florida in JAX.

Guess the question was based on opinion. Don't believe that the Georgia/Auburn or Alabama/Tennessee will be erased. Hard to say anymore TN Dawg. Good question from this perspective . . . . wonder how many of the younger fans are as deeply rooted in the traditional games as maybe you and I are. Spit, I don't know. :)

More
10 years 6 days ago #60114 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic UGA vs AU?
You know Buc, the "new generation" doesn't seem to care about tradition.....I'm all about tradition, know you are as well.

TN D, I also believe they will keep the AU/UGA game. It is big enough that even the younger fans want it played too. Heck, if I had to chose, I had rather play AU than GT (maybe it's because we've owned them and they bore me).

You would think ADDING a 9th SEC game would solidify the AU/UGA rivalry?!?

PVBDAWG

More
10 years 6 days ago #60115 by Buc
wlayton, know that you understand. Started to say the same thing you said about giving up Tech for Auburn. Said that a few years back and some of the "older farts" like myself would not hear of dropping Georgia Tech and let me know about my comment.

Once upon a time, GT was a serious game, that goes back to the Bobby Dodd days. Tech left the SEC and in my opinion, that has been a serious downfall for them when all is taken into consideration.

The same can be applied to Georgia/Auburn. In my mind it would be a "serious mistake" to mess with that part of history. This year between the Hedges, Georgia/Auburn, going to be a game that will be watched by millions. This is what college football is all about.

Auburn has come a long way in a short time, here is hoping that the same can be said about us when we face off in Athens.

My bet is "goose" wants to see this game left as is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg

More
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #60116 by Buc
I had not read this article prior to posting in this thread.

Pretty simply, think it has been said here more than once, M&M want certain things to go their way.

Another thing. Les Miles needs to be careful when he actually puts a program down. Tennessee has a long history in SEC football. Don't get too cocky Les, football (the game) takes unusual bounces.

LSU afraid to play Florida? wow.

blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/2014/04/24/...blogs_junkyard_blawg

More
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #60117 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic UGA vs AU?
Yes, I suspect this year's game is going to be a "biggie" (or am I hoping so?) that could well be the game of that week.....all eyes will be on that game especially after last year.

We owe them a big whuppin between the hedges.....all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T this year (always loved Aretha Franklin). :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

edit: Buc, I always thought old Les would play anybody, anytime, anywhere?? :ohmy:

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds