Forum

From Athens =Good Friday & Easter

10 years 2 weeks ago #60040 by TN Dawg
Replied by TN Dawg on topic From Athens =Good Friday & Easter
Quote from Keyston Fuller ... I wish we would hear more of this from our in-state kids>

“I was just shocked because I’ve always wanted to play at UGA since I was a little kid, seeing the red and black on the field,” Fuller said. “There was just something about it. I was really speechless on the phone when they offered – well, other than saying ‘Thank you.’”
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #60041 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens =Good Friday & Easter
Spring has sprung and it appears now that we are in a wait and see until Fall.

What exactly did I see this Spring?

Witnessed what I think is a bit different than last year or the year before. We have a quarterback in Hutson Mason that has waited for his turn to run the offense. He is in charge come the first game of the 2014 Season. According to Mike Bobo, Hutson Mason has had a very good Spring practice.

Allow me this. While Hutson had no “recorded” interceptions, I also know that hitting the number one quarterback for 2014 was off limits. Hit Mason, you go to the brig.

Let me take that a little further. We unquestionably have problems or . . . . Unanswered questions on the offensive line as to who will play where. Players like #84 are not stopped from getting to the quarterback from what I see from our offensive line. Had Hutson Mason worn an “active hit jersey” would he still have no interceptions? Just a question.

If Hutson Mason had no interceptions, that takes me to this. Just how good or bad are we on the defensive line? Is our offensive line (still disassembled) good enough to handle our defensive front?

Jeremy Pruitt said more than once since arriving that his defense, 3/4 with variations was similar to the defensive schemes that grantham ran prior to his arrival. After some of the smoke cleared, appears to me that the main difference between Pruitt and grantham is size and personal likes and dislikes. I believe that Pruitt has the attention of not only the players, he has the attention of the UGA fan base.

Guess not too much of the G Day Game should be taken with a grain of salt, but I do wonder about more than a change of coaches and schemes. While the party line was Pruitt was back to fundamentals, that was needed, not just this Spring, but for several past Springs. My problem with this Pruitt Spring game was the amount of yardage that a quarterback wearing a “hit me jersey” produced.

There is still a huge question mark as to the “talent” that the defensive backs have that will start and play for us against Clemson. Not sure if the best or some that are maybe ranked under the best played against Faton Bauta. Can only look at the numbers produced that are written on the stat sheet.

Many of us bought into the “fast defense” last season. Now I see Pruitt stepping up and saying, fellows, drop the weight if you want to play in “my defense”. Make no mistake about the “my defense”, Pruitt has a free hand, just as grantham and Martinez did. Will the 2014 defense be faster? Will they wrap up when they tackle? While it seems like a long time, the Clemson game is not that far away.

I still have concerns about injuries. Many in the media and other places point fingers in that direction when discussing UGA 2013. Could it be that we were out of shape? Out of shape leads to injuries.

When it comes down to brass tacks, I think we have talent, but I also think that our program still does not have “total direction”. When an outsider, first time coordinator can come into our program and say things that he has said to this point, then more than you and I recognize that we have had and still have problems.

Said from the get go that I believed there was a serious problem between Bobo and grantham, still believe that. Here is hoping that will change. Beside myself with Rocker coming on board, great get. McClendon as our recruiting coordinator, single best improvement to UGA football in many years. He cares and . . . . Produces.

Many of you will be leaving and will return possibly in the fall. Here is hoping that your stay was a good one. If you remain, this board and others work when you fingers hit the keys and express your views.

Still much to be said, but what the hell, Buc always has something to say. As wlayton said, Easter is a very special time of the year to many of us. I am one of those. Takes a man to show emotion, that is to be respected.

Those in power, get off of your high horse, time to get back into the “arena” :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #60043 by Buc
I very much appreciate the honesty in this article.

Without being a doubting soul, it just points out the problems that some of the folks on this board have referred to concerning the offensive line. Never a doubt about running backs, but always concern about the offensive line.

I am incredibly happy about Dyshon Sims coming to Athens. Hold me to this. He is a great young man . . . . he will kick your ass on the football field. Hard knocks, Dyshon Sims understands. SEC will find out about this young man soon enough. Will Friend don't believe you are a coach that relies on excuses. Show time with Dyshon Sims. Comes down to being "taught" Coach.

Isaiah Wynn, when Isaiah puts the pads on, he is ready for a fight.

Comes a time when folks like you and I have to admit that "our program" has not been a "balanced program". If you disagree with that, I suspect you post on the AJC.

www.macon.com/2014/04/18/3054285/almost-...eorgias-o-line.html#

Third time I have posted this video. Many years ago when I was a bit younger, the term used was "bad ass". Isaiah Wynn is a "bad ass". Many of the "know it alls" would have us believe that Wynn is too small height wise to play left tackle. Watch the video closely, what do you think about his lower body (footwork)? Is he "nasty" enough, those that read this board will find out when he dresses out in Red and Black.

www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1208883/#highlights/81794378

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #60044 by Buc
Players like Dyshon Sims make good football teams great. What say you Will Friend? There is a reason that Dyshon participated in this particular game.

Mark Richt, wake up, you have spent too many years not "understanding" what your bevy of running backs needed. Marino made his holes, now we have Gurley doing the same thing. You have some serious running backs coming to the Classic City. Have you at this point learned anything about offensive line play? SHOW ME!

Dyson Sims not unlike Isaiah Wynn, understands the "entire play". Offensive line that is already in Athens with game experience . . . . you ain't seen nothing yet.

www.goarmy.com/events/all-american-bowl/...ast/dyshon-sims.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #60045 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens =Good Friday & Easter
QB is going to be a big weakness in 2014. Hold me to it and if HM has a big year I will come back and say I was wrong.......but if the O line does not get its act straight HM will not have a good year like we need him to have. We are deep at RB but with the right D schemes it can shut down a good running game. The Receiving corps should be one of the best in the country and our Defense is unproven but experienced. O line will make or break our season along with our QB.....that is what I got out of the spring.....like I said not very impressed with G day as it was a lot of "coach" speak about "performance"

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #60046 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens =Good Friday & Easter
Just enjoying a peaceful rainy night in Georgia. Thankful for many things

Watching Georgia settling for the evening doing her nightly routine

This got me to thinking just how amazing the past four months for our football program has been

We are creatures of habit, our team had to learn a completely new set

Granted it was just new coaches for the D but it has been woven into the fabric of this years

Team the entire team. I sense a completely new line. Of communication between the assistant

Coaches and CMR This was first tested by CJP and CMB on how the drills were run in practice

CMR said OK. Let's give it a try. Old Dog the trick thingy

In my management team I demanded cross talk between departments nobody could hide by claiming

To be out of the loop......Coming months much traffic will be flying between our coaching

Staff. CWF. As I have noted earlier is one of the Bama Boys. His message about the big

Uglies will reach the Godfathers ears

Me thinks you will see a different approach in recruiting OL

Go Dawgd

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds