Forum

Larry Legend

17 years 6 months ago #833 by dapolla
Larry Legend was created by dapolla
In Boston you may think of Larry Bird, but down in the Classic City we know that the only Larry Legend is the Legendary Voice of the Bulldogs, Larry Munson.

Some of the most emotional moments of our lives as Dawg fans are wrapped up in Larry's calling of the game. I wanted to know: what are your favorite Larry calls? And I'm trying to get good ones, calls that perhaps aren't posted on every fansite, calls that you remember, maybe not word for word, from throughout the years.

I remember last year's Arkansas game as Larry proclaimed that our entire team was dead and bloody and dying on the field, that some 300 of our players had been carried off on stretchers. I remember in the 2003 Tennessee game, Larry saying of the lopsided score in Georgia's favor, "All I can say about that score is that 41 is 14 backwards!"

In 1982 as we defeated Auburn in one of the greatest goalline stands in history, everyone remembers the seconds ticking away as Larry declared that sugar was indeed falling out of the sky, heralding Georgia's entry into the '83 Sugar Bowl for a chance at a second national title in three years. But while our Dawgs made that goalline stand, do you remember Larry exhorting them to "Hunker it down one more time"? After we stopped them, Larry said "I'm not going to ask you to do that again, you guys!"

After last year's Auburn game, Larry declared that "They have our hearts." No phrase could have more accurately summed up what I think was the best football game played all season long, Notre Dame vs. USC be damned. And no phrase could have summed up the entire 2002 season better than Larry's call with 85 seconds on the clock on The Plains: "TOUCHDOWN! OH, GOD, A TOUCHDOWN!"

What are your favorite Larry Munson calls? Post them here in tribute to the man who has provided the soundtrack to many of our most brilliant memories.

"Man, is there going to be some property destroyed tonight!"

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dapolla
  • dapolla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 6 months ago #836 by FL_Dawg_Fan
Replied by FL_Dawg_Fan on topic Re: Larry Legend
Oh this is an easy one!! I was at this game so I didn't get to actually hear Larry's description of the play until later that night. But I can remember being in the old Jacksonville stadium and feeling everything that he was saying!

Georgia vs. Florida 1981
Georgia 26 Florida 21

Florida in a stand-up five, they may or may not blitz, Belue third down on the 8, in trouble, he got a block behind him going to throw on the run, complete on the 25 to the 30, Lindsay Scott 35, 40, Lindsay Scott 45, 50, 45, 40. ... Run Lindsay, 25, 20, 15, 10, Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott! ... Well, I can't believe it. 92 yards and Lindsay really got in a foot race I broke my chair. I came right through a chair. A metal steel chair with about a 5 inch cushion, I broke it. The booth came apart. The stadium... well the stadium fell down, now they do have to renovate this place... they'll have to rebuild it now. This is incredible. You know this game has always been called the World's Greatest Cocktail Party, do you know what's gonna happen here tonight, and up at St. Simmons and Jeckyl Island, and all those places where all those dawg people have got those condominiums for 4 days. Man is there going to be some property destroyed tonight! 26-21, Dawgs on top. We were gone. I'd gave up, you did too. We were out of it and gone. Miracle!"

• FL_Dawg_Fan
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #837 by jacketexterminator24
Replied by jacketexterminator24 on topic Re: Larry Legend
Even though we lost, i remember when larry asked for any former Junkyard Dawgs to aid our UGA defense in last year's Sugar Bowl. Also, Larry's call against Clemson in 1984 when Butler hit the "Ungodly" long ball of 60 yards (my dad was an athletic trainer at that game). Also Larry's call where Herschel made his debut by running over UT All-American Bill Bates to light the spark in the National Championship team of 1980. And while we're talking UT how about that Hob Nailed Boot? Man, Larry has played a monumental role in the lives of the Dawg Nation, and nothing erks me more than when a Tech fan mocks or attacks Larry. That is the only time i have ever considered hitting another fan. You can talk bad about my team and we'll decide it on the field, but don't mess with the voice of the Dawg Nation or you are going to be in a world of hurt.
GO DAWGS AND LONG LIVE LARRY MUNSON!!!

• jacketexterminator24
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #843 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Re: Larry Legend
when the REAL audio is much more pleasing!!!!!!!!

LINK: larrymunson.com/audio.asp

GO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
17 years 6 months ago #858 by RR-Dawg
Replied by RR-Dawg on topic Re: Larry Legend
*weep* *weep* I love you guys. It's great to be a dawg! Indeed long live MR. LARRY "THE VOICE OF THE DAWGS, THE VOICE OF A NATION" MUNSON!!! I used to have to work the weekends on many jobs and I remember sneaking the one earplug type earphone in one ear (with the cord running under shirt) just to sneak in the game via Munson. I owe many hours of sanity (and what some might call insanely excited moments) to THE 12th Man!

• RR-Dawg
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1114 by RJ
Replied by RJ on topic Re: Larry Legend
I think it's great that Larry's hometown team won today. :lol:

• RJ
  • Visitor
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds