Forum

GAME DAY: MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS AT #5 GEORGIA BULLDOGS (2024-10-12)

3 days 14 hours ago - 3 days 14 hours ago #83269 by SouthernDawg
Happy Fall Saturday folks, and welcome to the midpoint of the 2024 college football season (it pains me to say that).  The imposter Bulldogs play the genuine Bulldogs today between the hedges in another SEC showdown.

After the wildest shakeup in a college top 10 last weekend that we’ve seen in years, I truly hope that each and every Bulldog is dialed in and taking this game as serious as a heart attack. The Gumps gave every SEC team a free gift with a big bow on top of it by watching Vandy destroy them last week, and at the same time, vindicated Kirby’s motto that “in the SEC, humility is always one week away.” Well, I for one don’t want this team to give us any lessons in humility; I want this game to be a textbook fundamental ass whipping from start to finish where we never leave a doubt that we were in control of this game.

A lot has been said this week about Georgia’s chronic “slow starts” and why this seems to be a year-after-year problem with this program post-2022 Championship team. Today is the most golden of all opportunities to come out and steamroll a team that they honestly should steamroll. The imposter Bulldogs are utterly terrible. They lost to Toledo, and they made Sunbelt Billy look competent two weeks ago in a 45-28 loss to FU. Michael Van Buren is a bright spot at QB who was thrown into the war a few weeks ago as a true freshman, and given his athleticism (which Kirby highlighted this week), Miss State’s hyper drive up-tempo offense seems to suit him well. On the flip side, their defense can’t get off the field on 3rd downs and the result is an exhausted defense that is giving up nearly 32 points per game and giving up 100+ yards on the ground in every game they’ve played this season. That should give us ample ability to win the time of possession battle, put up huge points, and make it a long day in Athens.

Our goal in this game should be to clean up an offense that has been riddled with dropped passes, missed routes, and miscommunication. This offense really needs a confidence-building performance where it executes the game plan and never leaves a doubt heading into the Texas game. If we struggle early and let them hang around, then we’ll have another post-game presser with Kirby bitching about crowd noise and lack of fan engagement. This really is a golden opportunity for Georgia to prove it has the engine tuned up going into the meat of its SEC schedule. Let’s go out there and GATA. Prove you want it. Prove you are prepared. Shut the chatter down. Vegas has us at -33.5 in this game. I'd love to see a performance out of this offense that vindicates Vegas's confidence in our program. 

GO DAWGS! 

Game & Broadcast Info
  • Kickoff: Saturday, October 12 – 4:15 p.m. ET
  • Location: Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium (93,033) | Athens, Ga.
  • 2024 Records: Georgia (4-1, 2-1 SEC), Mississippi State (1-4, 0-2 SEC)
  • 2024 Rankings: Georgia #5/4, Mississippi State NR
  • TV: SECN (Taylor Zarzour, Matt Stinchcomb, Alyssa Lang)
  • Video Stream:  ESPN+/SECN+
  • Radio: 95.5 FM WSB – Bulldog Network |  Affiliates  | Scott Howard (PxP), Eric Zeier (Color), DJ Shockley (sideline)
  • Audio Stream:  georgiadogs.com
  • Satellite: SiriusXM (160 or 192)
  • Web Stats:  georgiadogs.com
  • Twitter: #MSSTvsUGA
  • SECN ReBroadcast: TBA
  • History:  Georgia vs. Mississippi State All-Time Series Results: UGA 20-6
  • Last Meeting: UGA won 45-19 in Starkville, Miss., 11/12/2022
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
3 days 6 hours ago #83270 by Wartdawg
We have slow starts because we open games with conservative and predictable play calls. Our O-line is not top of the SEC class and we can't just run power when the defense expects it and expect
to win. We are also overusing the Bobo favorite bubble screen early in games, and we do nothing early to get opposing teams off of it when we line up in that 3 to one side receiver set.
We saw what the UGA offense can do when they play with a sense or urgency... they just don't do it very often. I've often said Bobo calls plays not
to lose until the game is on the brink of being lost.
On a lesser note... Beck can't make a difference with his legs on broken plays or when he sees an opening. That makes all the other areas much more important.

I want to take a minute however to speak to the defense, the Dawgs alleged calling card. We are lacking there and let me go into specifics. As deep as our D-line is, we do not have a consistent disrupter. We lack that one player that can take over a game and wreak havoc on an offense. As I watch other SEC teams.. most have that one guy who can at times just take over a game.
We also lack lane and edge discipline. We consistently lose the edge and/or leave gaps for an opposing QB to gash us running up the middle. I mean Kirby hasn't figured out how to contain a dual threat QB yet, and that is because of a lack of discipline on the D-line. Gap responsibility and setting the edge.

Now some will say we still look great on D a lot of the time and that's true, but I think thats because we out athlete a lot of other teams. When we can't do that... this D can give up yards and points.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
3 days 20 minutes ago #83271 by Wartdawg
EXTREMELY unimpressed.

Miss State is a BAD football team.

No way Georgia should have had to pass that much. Searels line looking just like the Searels lines under Mark Richt.

Defense... ridiculously bad against this team.

UGA better be glad 12 teams get in. This is by far the worst Georgia team since before the first Natty.

Vandy beat 'Bama, and USC took them to the brink in Tuscaloosa. That makes Georgia look even worse.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg, growl

More
2 days 23 hours ago #83272 by SouthernDawg

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
23 hours 10 minutes ago #83273 by growl
When I saw KS push a freshman QB, I thought to myself, no wonder the players look so undisciplined, the pressures getting to him too.  Think about what you’re doing, it’s a Football Game, stay in the Game!

GO DAWGS!!!!!  GATA!!!!!

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds