Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

1 year 7 months ago #82502 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Day All,

Beautiful  morning in Athens,Ga.  Low humidity and cooler temperatures made our walk at Lake Herrick more enjoyable.
The wife and our Great Dane Duchess gets YD1’s  bones of the couch and get it done before morning coffee.

Great time to mull over my first post of our upcoming new football season.  Just like every year you can’t really know how good you going to be until you go play the game.

Many question can we replace those very talented player who have moved on to new opportunities.  Under CKS we have learned what “ Next man up “ means,   How well we transition from one player is a positive testament to recruiting and coaching. Both have greatly improved under Kirby’s tenure,

Part of the Smart process is to practice good on good… his goal make practice more difficult than playing the game…on Saturday…  player development starts with reps on special teams….  Dawgs have placed high expectations on special team play… in doing so a new strength developed that both our offense and defense have benefited from.

Dawgs win and cover, again our depth will be key in taking the game over in the second half.

Growl looking forward to your game day post to get us rocking…. SD you and your Dad enjoy the game… better PM his recliner…. Don’t need a unscheduled pit stop during a game….

Pause and give thanks

Continue to check on family and friends…

Have and great weekend and a safe week…

Looking forward to our first Game day Friday in a week 

As always. “Go Dawgs “

l

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
1 year 7 months ago #82505 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Morning YD & all...

Another warm dry weekend here in the Queen City. Doesn't really feel like football weather yet, but Labor Day weekend is usually the "switch" that gets thrown on the weather around here and we get that first feel of dryer/cooler air.

Sitting here with the cup of steaming battery acid and reading UGA info. I would say that all the analysis of UGA I've seen thus far has been pretty fair. I think the #3 spot is right where UGA should be based on the numbers. Both Bama and the Buck Nuts are stacked this year.

Our big variables/unknowns this year is development of inexperienced players and how our WR corps builds an identity. Can the young pups adapt quickly, play disciplined football and limit the number of unforced errors.

However, think it is important to stop and think of something: Georgia just won the national championship last year and lost an absurd amount of its marquee lineup to a historical record-breaking NFL draft, and yet, it still finds itself ranked #3. This is a total testament to the elite level recruiting Kirby & Co. are doing, and because they know exactly the type of player they want, I really don't believe inexperience is going to be as detrimental to us as it would be for other teams. Will it cause some issues? Of course. Will we end up with a boneheaded targeting penalty, or a scrum that gets players tossed? Yeah, that's just part of the maturing process, but as a whole, I predict that the canvas is going to take form fairly quickly.

I'm really looking forward to the season this year. It feels totally different starting this year with the 1980 monkey off our backs. It's a little more relaxed and exciting to see what the post-2021 era looks like.

Working on next Saturdays game time menu... Right now, main course is smoked meatloaf on the Pit Boss. Any side recommendations are welcome!!

GO DAWGS!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
1 year 7 months ago #82506 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Good Saturday morning SD,

Spot on with your observations on were our football team starts the season.  Yes a different feel this year we have chased the brass ring for 40 plus years… and as you correctly noted said monkey has left the building..

Watching our young pups grow into the next level under CKS process is exciting….. to watch…

Kirby has the experience in winning Nattys to coach our team back to the CFP in short order… totally agree slotting the Dawg at #3 is a fair starting point..

Always  enjoy a baked potato with my meatloaf…Be interesting if you like sweet potato to peel and slice them up rub with a little olive oil and put on a sheet pan and let the enjoy spending so time with the meatloaf in the smoker until cooked. For  crunch  regular or broccoli coleslaw is a winner.. Just let me know what time the drive thru opens….

Stay well.      Go Dawgs 

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, SouthernDawg

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #82507 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Looking forward to our first Game Day Friday next week. Then Growl will host the game day event.

As always. “Go Dawgs “

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

1 year 7 months ago #82508 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Early prediction…talking heads about Wednesday will start the trap game… over confident Dawgs. .. we will tend to try and mail this game in….

horse hockey….    Let’s just go play the game. ….    Go Dawgs 

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
1 year 7 months ago #82509 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Not a chance is this game a "mail it in" game. If the talking heads start chirping about that, then it will be nothing but needing a story line narrative for the game and giving confidence to the under dog. Georgia is not in the Richt era anymore where we end up scratching our heads after a 38-7 loss to a team we should have handily beaten and come up with cutesy phrases like: "this team bought its own hype," or "Georgia didn't even get off the bus."

Those days are long gone.

The media would be better off running with the narrative of the former assistant beating the mentor because he knows all the skeletons in the playbook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds