Forum

Future Concerns about OL

1 year 7 months ago #82491 by BulldogShannon
Future Concerns about OL was created by BulldogShannon
This isn't a major issue but something to be "concerned" with. I forget where I read this and I admit I'm going to just make up the average star ranking of Offensive Linemen under Pittman, then Luke, and so far in a very small sample size, Searles.  But lets say Pittman average a 4.3 star ranking per lineman recruit, Luke was a little under that at say 4.1,  and Searles (too small a sample size I admit) is like at 4.0.

If this slide does continue (I admit we still recruit top tier at this position group), over time we won't be as dpminate as we once were.

I hope to see a tick up the next 2 years to make me feel better here. In order to stay as one of the 3-4 teams every year playing for a playoff spot, we really need to bump it up a notch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BulldogShannon
  • BulldogShannon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
1 year 7 months ago #82492 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Future Concerns about OL
Bulldog… always good to hear your knowledgeable opinions…

Words here is players really like Coach Searles ….  I think V2.0. Is improved.  Proof is in the pudding of course…

need Tate to be a force… we will be looking to  build depth as always….  Down hill to 9/3.  Stay well

and Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BulldogShannon

• yankeedawg1
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
1 year 7 months ago #82493 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Future Concerns about OL
I am holding fire on Searles beyond my original comments here that I wasn't excited about the hire. I was no fan of his offensive lines when he was here last time. I'll give him a short leash but will give him a little slack to see how he develops. But I agree with your comments BDS, that the pinnacle of our o-lines were the Pittman days. Fortunately we have a head coach that knows that the game is won or lost on the line of scrimmage, so I have to believe that message is being hammer-drilled into the head of our new o-line coach.

More
1 year 7 months ago #82497 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic Future Concerns about OL
I believe in Kirby and one thing we've all seen: if a position coach isn't recruiting well he will be gone. Agree with you, He's on a short leash with me. 

We need to see a great class in 2023 because if we don't, an injury here, a transfer there, then all of a sudden we are just a good OL> We need to be dominant to stay up with Bama and Clemson (they will be back). Lines of scrimmage is where the big boys live. 

We are getting better at recruiting every position but there is a slight tick down in average ranking for OL. It will catch up with us in 3 years if we are not careful.

• BulldogShannon
  • BulldogShannon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.026 seconds