Forum

from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20

4 years 4 weeks ago #81056 by yankeedawg1
from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20 was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Another week has passed…. living the new norm. Another spring event has been postponed until August . The Indy 500 has joined the likes of the Masters,Kentucky Derby along with several other spring sporting events having been canceled or date changes….

It is truly amazing how fast we went from having new changes with our football program….causing lively conversations…. To a this void of unknowning…

what the college football season will look like ….. yes truly staying well is more important …… taking care of family and friends has moved to the head of the line….

Pause and give thanks ……

Have a great weekend and a safe week….

As always “Go Dawgs"

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #81057 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20
We may not have football in the fall. Taking this all in....it is within the realm of possibility that this mess will not be over by September. Holy shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #81058 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20
KD.... exactly...nobody has with absolute certainty when this

Will end.... like to be optimistic.... be an extremely hit summer

In Georgia if we still have to follow shelter in place guidelines..

Stay well

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #81061 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20
Crazy times. Don’t see a ncaa or nfl season coming in 2020. I wonder how the ncaa wiould handle a cancelled season? If you give the guys at the end another year, you cost the incoming guys. Same number of players on the roster, or add some to allow for extra seniors?

I am in an out of large healthcare facilities with my job, which makes this a bigger deal for me than others. Trying to decide on my weekly visit with my 85ish yo folks right now.

Yank, hunker down buddy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #81062 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20
Same Scooby... uncharted waters..stay well... and safe

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scooby

• yankeedawg1
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #81063 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic from Athens -Friday Thoughts - 26-03-20
scooby,

I'm in lockstep with you on the notion that the NCAA won't be playing in the fall. We've already got Herbstreit out there saying as much.

As to the question if the NCAA could handle it? Honestly? No. I read an article the other day that had some quotes from Scott Stricklin, FU's AD. He basically said it would crack the foundations of college football. Many programs would go belly up. Coaches would be let go because their salaries simply couldn't be paid without the top line revenue from tickets sales and TV contracts. Training & support staff would be let go for the same reason. If it looks like this does impact the season, by early summer, stadium personnel, groundskeepers, maintenance and facilities folks would be furloughed. It would be a cascade effect.

If this does indeed happen, nothing would ever be the same. I think in the wake of this, the days of the multi million dollar coaching salary will see its twilight. It would take college football years to recover, and some programs would never come back.

The Kentucky Derby, the Masters, Wimbledon have all be cancelled. When you look at the lost revenue from that it makes your head spin.

I'm going to leave my personal opinion out of this, just stating the facts. As we sit here in early April, I think it's a real longshot that we see football in the fall. Not because of the virus, but because of the lawyers and societal pressure. The real tell tale sign is going to be if we don't have spring football of any kind. If they don't manage to have spring practices and the scrimmage games, the handwriting is on the wall for the fall.

Be safe Scooby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, scooby

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds