Forum

From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20

4 years 2 months ago #80976 by yankeedawg1
From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20 was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

It has been another week of surprises for our football program …. Hopefully all good ones.

We learned that HC is not afraid to make moves trying to improve our team….. using hindsight I think CKS saw the need for us to change how we approach our offense…. Both ... Personnel... play calling …. Early on this past season ….

Watching some of his practice and game press conferences you could get a sense of his frustrations…and knowing he could do little midseason to change what needed to done….

One of the first things we came to understand with our HC he wants competition at all positions ….. which with growing number of quarterbacks who now and the near future will call Athens home…. It seems to include the QB position also…… we played the entire 2019 season with only two scholarship QB available to play…… Kirby never wants to find our program in that position again…. Also the progression of underclassmen development to starter.. this needs to be a clearer picture…. Yes it may lead to players entering the transfer portal… but if it is established that this is what it takes to play QB at
Georiga ..then if you commit you know that it’s just not going to be handed to you … even if you were a 5* all world High School player …. Plan on working your tail off just like every other position….

I am willing to wager that every DC on this season schedule is trying to read the Tea Leaves on what we will look like on offense ….

Again don’t look for us to show much until September 19th in Tuscaloosa ….

I am a student off history….. been mulling over the past ten years on Dawgs.com ….. how the conversation has changed…
Starting with the arrival of CKS….

Me the biggest difference…. Is the area of recruiting…… I can remember the lamenting on this board at the loss after loss of players we really wanted to see in R & B …. Yes we still have players who we really want... choose another direction other than coming to Athens….

This is a extremely reduced number …. And with their choice of going elsewhere…. The door opens for us to flip a player to come join our program..

Be interested to hear your thoughts on how our program has changed from pre-Kirby to what its been the past five years….

January is about to leave us next Friday …. The pondering continues ….

Pause and give thanks..

Have great weekend and a safe week

As always “GO Dawgs"

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80981 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20
yankeedawg1, our program has changed like the separation of night and day.

Our program has changed to this extent . . . . FANS no longer satisfied with 9/10 win seasons, putting up numbers below those, time for a coaching change . . . . In another thread on this board I mentioned a couple of reasons that I believe change was made and . . . . was needed.

I look back years ago and think about Alabama and college football. The Tide really changed into a solid every year power when Bear Bryant took over. Coach Bryant left little doubt that there were two things you did not do in Tuscaloosa . . . . lose football games and . . . . park in his reserved parking spot. Coach Bryant had the attention of not only the FANS, he had their version of Mahogany Row understanding that football in Tuscaloosa was now totally under his leadership.

Something similar to that has happened in Athens. Kirby Smart is a disciple of Saban and Belichick, both of which believe much the same way as Bear Bryant did.

What happens now in Athens, not too hard to figure out. Georgia which has long wanted to be discussed in the same conversation(s) as Alabama, now getting some of that attention. Chatter has already began about our third game of the year in Tuscaloosa. From where I sit . . . . I feel a lot more comfortable facing off with the Tide than any other time in recent memory. I am also not so foolish to believe that Alabama is free falling from the top of college football, that "ain't" happening. There is nothing going on with UGA Football that Nick Saban is not aware of, or . . . . gator mullen.

Feels good to read articles in the national media about Georgia Football. Articles have certainly changed in copy arrangement since the arrival of Smart and Company. Could very well be that the last couple of hires in Athens were the final pieces of a puzzle that were puzzling for far too many years.

Speaking about talent, Florida is sending some "serious" talent to Athens. Talent that the gators wanted badly.

A request that I have made more than once on this board . . . . Kirby Smart, keep your butt off of the playing field. Excitement is fine, penalties are not. Next step for Smart is "coaching smart".
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 2 months ago #80982 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20
Thanks for your insight Buc..... absolutely day and night comparison

Between then and now.... yes having Georgia in the conversation

Come each December is paramount....winning a Natty ...the prize

We have Covered a lot of ground in a short time... A major step in

seasoning Of HC ....as you correctly pointed out....keeping his butt

off the Field unless there is a timeout....he is asking his players to

practice Discipline..... this would be an excellent example....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80983 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20
UGA has 831 wins all time.

Tennessee is at 846 in 10th. We can catch them soon.

More
4 years 2 months ago #80984 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20
KD.....be happy to catch and pass the pumpkin people...

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80993 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic From Athens -Friday Thoughts - 24-01-20
Yep. Tennessee is only 1 win behind USC. Then there is a gap to Penn State at 898.

football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/cal...&min=5&se=on&by=Wins

More
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds