Forum

A Film Look at Jamie Newman

4 years 2 months ago #80967 by SouthernDawg
A Film Look at Jamie Newman was created by SouthernDawg
Good article on SDS today with some good film breakdowns

www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-footba...at-bulldogs-getting/

I certainly like what I see in Newman, and it will be refreshing to enjoy one year of a true & seasoned dual threat QB. But I'm going on record right now and saying that I'm reserving my excitement until I see what Newman looks like against SEC defenses and a completely different playbook and offensive philosophy from what he ran at WF. He's also facing defenses in the SEC that are orders of magnitude faster and bigger than what he faced in the ACC. The thing that struck me in watching some of those videos was how slow the ACC defenses are. It's almost as if some of them are in slow motion compared to what we're used to seeing.

To be effective from Game 1, my money says he's sitting with Monken, Faulkner, and Coley and discussing the creation of the playbook and learning it from the ground up. Not a lot of transfer QB's get the chance to essentially review and provide input to the playbook as its being crafted. So that goes in his favor, vs. a transfer QB that comes into an established system. Still, for Newman, there's a lot of kinks that have to be worked out that can only be worked out on the playing fields in the fall. Let's hope those are minor and short lived, because our schedule gets real in week #3.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SouthernDawg
  • SouthernDawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80971 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic A Film Look at Jamie Newman
I like him, but I have a general philosophy that you can't trust highlight films.

If you want to really figure a player out, look at the plays that didn't make the highlight reel.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #80972 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A Film Look at Jamie Newman
Little doubt that the learning curve will affect Coley and Newman more so than Monken and Faulkner. Both of the last two mentioned have coached together prior to partnering up in Athens. Monken worked with Jameis in Tampa extensively. Much of what he "taught" got through, "much" did not. Film shows Jamies' arm and leg talent, wish often that Jake had been blessed with a better set of "wheels". One thing about Jake, what he had between the ears often not the case with other quarterbacks . . . . and coaches.

www.ajc.com/sports/college/todd-monken-h...YV2rqfrNBGouJLnyjYO/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 2 months ago #80973 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic A Film Look at Jamie Newman
Good points Buc....

Jake will fair better in the pro game....much has to do

With what’s between the ears..... he also will have receivers who

Will go and get the ball....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #80974 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A Film Look at Jamie Newman
Could not agree more with the statement yd1 about receivers going and getting the ball. Coach Monken will be all about receivers going after the ball. Coach Monken had Winston throwing to a "spot". Timing is everything with this offensive coach. Monken will spend about as much time with the receiving corps as the quarterbacks. Matter of fact, he will have receivers and quarterbacks in the same film room together . . . . often.

More
4 years 2 months ago #80975 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic A Film Look at Jamie Newman
I'm wondering what the competition will reveal. Will Beck or Vandergriff step up to challenge for the job, or is this a forgone decision? Honestly, were not exactly hurting at qb for talent, but I wonder who really wants the spot?

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds